Lenovo Y470 and Y570 Official Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by nightspearx, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kobby2k6

kobby2k6 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am not that handy but i needed suggestions on the best tools for opening the y470 and replacing the ram and hard drive in the future...please also specifics on brand (also name) as well and size of the tool..thank and happy holidays.

2. ekokinex

ekokinex Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Replacing the RAM is easy and straightforward. I replaced my standard for 4GB with G. Skill 204-pin 8 GB DDR3 10600. This video is a good way to learn how to do it. It's for a Y570 but the Y470 is identical in all the major ways. It also shows you the location of HDD.

Lenovo y570 Ram Upgrade and Overview (English) - YouTube

My wife has a Y470 and I took the 4 GB out of mine and replaced one of the 2GB sticks out of hers. The screws in both plates remain in place so you do not have to worry about them falling out and getting lost. A standard philips head screwdriver is needed. You don't need any special tools for the RAM removal or insertion. It's a laptop so you're not going to need a large screwdriver, a small-medium sized screwdriver should do the job. The location of backplate indentions for the Y470 are on the right side and not the bottom as it is on the Y570 when you replace it.

I hope thats specific enough.

3. kobby2k6

Reputations:
    thanks for the response..im trying to upgrade to 8gb in the next few weeks or months...what is the best ram (a link would help) for this ltask ...

4. ekokinex

ekokinex Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It all depends on you preference but it should be 204-pin DDR3 at a minimum.

Here are two suggestions the only difference is the speed of the memory. I went with 10600 because that is what came in my laptop. I'm not 100% sure but I believe we can use up to 10666.

G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)

G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

5. avanish11

avanish11 Panda! ^_^

Reputations:
    I'm considering buying the Y470, but the main thing that I'm worried about is the low screen resolution. I've heard rumors that it might be possible to upgrade it to a 900P screen. Has anyone been able to do this successfully? If so, which screen did they use? Were they able to use the webcam and mic afterwards?

6. kobby2k6

Reputations:
  7. madredrive

madredrive Newbie

Reputations:
    I just bought lenovo y470 and was pretty impressed with what this thing does for such a small scale!

anyway, my question is

There is a bundled microsoft office 2010 on this thing
    I tried using it but it asked for an activation key,
    so I looked underneath the laptop and there was an activation key!
    Typed it in.(tried 4x on this one) and to no avail it is still not activated, Is there a problem with my activation key?

or is it for the windows7 activation key and not for microsoft office?

Other question is I tired using the EE boot optimizer on this one.
    It restarted my windows and it is trying to calculate for an optimization.

And after that it just went black and nothing is happening, it keeps on doing the same thing all over again.!
    I updated the ee boot optimizer by downloading the update.
    still the same!
    any ideas anyone? thanks thanks

One love! :cool:

8. peter_chase

peter_chase Newbie

Reputations:
    The Y470 has 2 antennas, the 1000 is 1x2 as in 150 mb send and 300 receive all on the 2.4 GHz.

Like you said the manual shows the 6205 being an acceptable upgrade but Lenovo likes us to use particular FRU. The 20002533 FRU for the 6205 is not available anywhere (ebay, amazon, macmall, provantage, and lenovo tech/customer/sales support do not even know where to find one)

There is a seller on eBay who has Thinkpad 6205 but different FRU
    (60Y3253 Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 62205ANHMW CARD fr Lenovo T520i T520 T520 | eBay)

I'm thinking of trying these out, will post when I know.

9. helplaptop

helplaptop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi avanish, the resolution doesn't seem to be that much of a problem on Y470 since 1366x768 is pretty standard for a 14-incher. I recall someone trying to find a way to attach a screen of a higher resolution to Y570 (470 too?), and it turned out that the motherboard had 30-pin connector for the screen cable, while the screen had 40, or something like that. It was possible to hook the screen up, using a 30 to 40 cable, but only at the expense of the built-in camera and microphone, I think.

EDIT: People, anyone has an idea of what game demo I could try out to test-drive my y470 when it arrives, to make sure it's not a lemon? I won't be able to buy & play games on it until ~10 weeks after the purchase, and returning the laptop then is too late. I am looking for some pretty demanding demo; I know there isn't one for Skyrim, what about GTA 4, any other ideas? Thanks!

10. pl1ght

pl1ght Newbie

Reputations:
    For a game 'demo' I'd recommend checking out 'Hard Reset'. Its a pretty demanding and beautiful game engine. Its available on steam and from the developers website.

I have a y470 coming in the next week too, can't wait for it to show up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.