Lenovo Y470 and Y570 Official Owners Thread

Discussion in 'IdeaPad & Essential' started by nightspearx, May 10, 2011.

1. streamsurfer

streamsurfer Newbie

Reputations:
    I can confirm that it's correct.. I have 47CN30WW(V2.08) which came factory installed. I was surprised that lenovo site has old drivers. I live in US and had ordered my Y470 in Oct (10/19) and got it on Oct (10/27).

2. actiss

actiss Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's strange... I thought it was determined that AES-NI is NOT enabled with 2.08. That said, is anyone willing to take plunge and install this BIOS and check to see if it is indeed enabled?

3. streamsurfer

streamsurfer Newbie

Reputations:
    Is this feature (AES-NI) related to country specific ? I am in US and see it in AIDA 64 and Intel Processor Identification Utility that it is present. When i try CPU-Z my sys crashes or freezes (win8). I had 2.08 factory installed on mine.. I can paste my screenshots if you want.

4. actiss

Reputations:
    EDIT: I deleted this post as it is irrelevant; See my new post below

5. shoeman6

shoeman6 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I haven't been around for a while, as I've been enjoying my y570, but I'm to the point where I have to bring up the issue it seems almost everyone else is experiencing. Unusually high temps when gaming, and fan issues.

I'm getting 97 + during any type of intensive gaming, and leading to the computer crashing multiple times from heat. This actually only start about 2 months after I got my machine. I've cleaned out my fan, but it seems as though it's not getting as much power as it should, or it is not spinning properly. Needless to say, this is a major annoyance. Has anyone found a solution?

6. shoeman6

shoeman6 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Too add more details, it often sounds as if the laptops fan is not working, or whining, I can barely feel air coming out of the heat sink, whereas before, there was always a coool breeze. Something has changed over the past few months, temps used to peak at 85, now go well past 90. Not to mention, the graphics card on peaks at about %30 usage due to the heat.

7. nCode

nCode Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have the same issues, but i have a cooling pad but still my temps of the cpu is too high 85C, i think we need to change the thermal paste and the temps will drop in the range of 75-80C

8. mcgraddy

mcgraddy Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm going to buy a y570 mostly for gaming(battlefield3/diablo3). where i live the price difference between i3/i5/i7 is pretty big:
    i3: 840$
    i5: 1000$
    i7: 1200$
    Is there a big difference in gaming between the cpu's? HDD size doesn't bother me so is it worth spending 160$ more for i5, will i benefit that much for gaming? Is the i3 in everyday use ok?
    Thank you if somebody helps me with decision!

9. actiss

Reputations:
    So I bit the bullet and installed the aforementioned 2.08 update.... and streamsurfer, you are correct: AES-NI is indeed enabled!!

Before (BIOS 2.05):
    [​IMG]

After (BIOS 2.08):
    [​IMG]

The lack of AES-NI was one of the things that always bugged me about this laptop (the screen resolution is the other, but that's a whole other story... ;)). Having this feature enabled is already improving the speed of the laptop, since I have the hard disk encrypted with Truecrypt.

10. streamsurfer

streamsurfer Newbie

Reputations:
    I was just about to post my screens but you beat me to it.. :D