Lenovo Y400 Owners lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by DarkSan00, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orangedrink888

orangedrink888 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Not yet. It's out for delivery today! :) wooo! Those instructions was from when I had the Y400/650m

Seriously cant wait to get my hands on it and start running some benchmarks.

2. juliant

juliant Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You will notice the difference in games / benchmarks way far from 650m. I am sure that if you overclock this succer (which I already tried), it will be in pair with 650m SLi. I wish you the best and I hope your system will be perfect, without issues. For me, I know that I had a lot of hassle, but in the end with a better screen, I have saved $100 (including the cost of the new screen). :)

I do not know if you are going to change anything at your system, but here is the direct link for the drivers (though I recommend to use the drivers from your current hdd shipped with your system).

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS033346

3. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    When you get it let us know what the stock clocks are and what voltage the 750M is running at. The 650M is at 1.025 V and if the 750M is higher than that, then it will be able to OC past the 650M. If it's the same, it just means they rebranded the 650 with higher clocks that you could've achieved on your own anyway so the the 750M has less OC headroom.

A single 750M faster than 650M SLI? I don't care how high you overclock the 750M, but it's not gonna be close. Sounds like you were misinformed on what the 750M is.

4. Character Zero

Character Zero Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    750M
    Stock GPU : 941
    Stock Memory : 2500
    Stock Boost : 967

I see 1.137V but I am not sure that is correct.

Got my Y400 today :)

I am using nvidiainspector to look at these. It jumps around, its now settled in at 1.043 running Torchlight 2 next to the window.
    At higher load the clock goes to 1058 at 1.131V.

5. orangedrink888

Reputations:
    Sweet! Good to hear that new screen is working out nicely.

I'm probably going to install windows 7. Are the drivers for the 750m contained on the hard drive?

6. octiceps

octiceps Nimrod

Reputations:
    I thought the leak said GPU Boost 2.0 would make it go as far as 1100 MHz on the core? Well 1058 isn't far off. 1058/2500 makes it identical to the desktop GTX 650. Nice to see that Lenovo actually got Boost working this time around

Those voltage numbers sound a bit high to me. The GT 750M is GK107 isn't it? Well the desktop GTX 650 is the highest-performing GK107 part and it's at 1.113 V by default. I highly doubt a mobile chip based on the same GPU would have higher voltage at the same clocks; usually it's the other way around. Can you run a GPU-burn test like FurMark and look in GPU-Z to see what the VDDC settles at?

It'd be interesting to see if this refresh does indeed overclock higher than the 650M and if so by how much.

7. Character Zero

Character Zero Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    1058 wasn't at full load, more like 80% I think. Let me see about another test. Still setting things up.

EDIT ok some burn in results:
    burn_in.gif

8. Kukri

Kukri Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm fairly sure the overclocking potential of the two cards will be much the same, when one is able to increase the 650m voltage as well (hence my eagerness for the BIOS voltage mod). The 750m should be able to go past 1300Mhz with its stock voltage settings. The 650m should be able to get to the same range with a similar voltage.

9. juliant

juliant Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, all the drivers are located on a partition on the hard drive. You can make a backup of the drive before you intall windows on it, I totally recommend it, though the backup will be over 30gb.

As per the performance of the 750M all that I can say that everything runs smooth compared to the 650M at max settings.

10. orangedrink888

Reputations:
    Good to know. I still have my 120gb msata and 1tb hd. I'll just plug those in and put the original HD in my extra 2.5 inch external usb 3.0 case.

Just got notification it's delivered. Can't wait to get out of work. 2 more hours... ughhhh I hate Friday software releases :-(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.