1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Lenovo Y400 Owners lounge

Discussion in 'IdeaPad & Essential' started by DarkSan00, Dec 13, 2012.

1. DarkSan00

DarkSan00 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There seems to be questions about this laptop on multiple threads but there doesn't seem to be a y400 owners thread despite some being interested so let's start a main one for this laptop.

I'm getting mine by the 22nd but I saw one at an office depot near my home so if anyone has questions, feel free to ask. Other owners jump in.:thumbsup:

2. Dailen

Dailen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm really looking forward to receiving mine! I already have the SSD I'll be throwing into the mSATA slot, then I get to transfer Windows 8 to from the HDD to the SSD... should be fun.

Lenovo site says it ships on the 21st. I just hope I get it before January 4th.

3. DarkSan00

Reputations:
    I plan on getting the msata ssd later down the road. It seems like next year prices will drop more than this one and I'm looking forward to purchasing an intel 520 along with a crucial msata for maximum ssd storage.

And mine is one its way to its destination, but since I'm buying a US model (not from the US) I'll get it the 22nd.

Does anyone know when we could be able to purchase the SLI video card? Or if this laptop supports the ultrabay battery? I know it supports HDD caddy, fan and video card, but a battery would be great!

4. FMruss

FMruss Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The sli's are coming into stock again next week and hopefully the ultrabays. Tempted to pull the trigger on this one for $750 (Lenovo barnes & noble + tax) but gotta sell my T420 system first.

5. DarkSan00

Reputations:
    I'd say make the jump. For 750 it's kind of a steal and lenovo makes quaility computers from the experience of various acquaintances. The only caveat I can see with the y400 is the screen's resolution but oh well. Besides, it's a nice looking gaming laptop. Nothing too gaudy or tacky like an alienware or asus ROG.

Does anyone know what the power supply for this one is? I suppose it's 120W because of the unboxings and how huge the brick is.

Would a slimmer PSU kill it? I found a nice thermaltake one but it's 95 W. I could take the slim one with me and leave the big one at home.

6. NapalmDeath

NapalmDeath Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It comes with a 120W AC adapter.
    I thought I read the SLI would require the 170W adapter?
    Guess we'll have to wait and see.

7. eyung25

eyung25 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You guys have probably looked at the thread about the Y500 touchpad issues but I haven't heard anything about that from the Y400. How's the quality of the touchpad on the 400 and have you guys had any problems?

8. Dailen

Dailen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is the mSATA slot easy to get to on the y400? Also, where is it? lol
    I remember seeing it being easily accessible on the y480. Hopefully it's the same on the y400.

9. JMac

JMac Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Lenovo has been running a variety of discount codes for orders through their web site.. The amount and specific configuration have changed from week to week since Black Friday, but there seems to consistently be at least one in the $700-800 range. Definitely worth checking there.

10. NapalmDeath

NapalmDeath Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Y400 touchpad is ok, 2 finger scroll you need a lot of space between fingers. Likely something easily fixed with a driver update.