Lenovo Y40-80

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Scovy, Mar 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadodragon

Shadodragon Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply Pitabred!

Whitelisting... for my Y470 I found a modded BIOS that allowed installing different WiFi cards... I "think" unlocked some voltage controls too. (Honestly been so long, I forget the details.) While I don't know that I'll swap out the WiFi on the Y40, I like having options open.

I'm comfortable with BIOS settings and cleaning up Windows (fresh install most likely).

I'm sure the screen is around the same level as my Y470... which is fine... but I'm still fairly interested in getting an IPS level screen at some point.

Thanks again for the feedback.

2. Pitabred

Pitabred Linux geek con rat flail!

Reputations:
    Gotcha. Yeah, the integrated WiFi hasn't given me any problems, but I'd bet there's still a whitelist. And it's a standard laptop BIOS, not a whole bunch of anything to change when you get into it.

It's going to basically be as locked down as your Y470 is, there haven't been any huge culture changes at Lenovo since then that I'm aware of. Anything that's gonna happen will likely be aftermarket hackery, and the machine is too new for most of that, and likely not terribly popular because the m270x isn't as fast as the 860M that's in other competing machines. It fits my needs great, but only because I've got a beefy desktop for proper gaming, and the battery life and price mattered more to me than the raw gaming performance ;)

3. DejaMorgana

DejaMorgana Newbie

Reputations:
    I just pulled the trigger on a Y40-80, and wondered if anybody around here tried running Linux on one yet. This is the first time in ages that I've bought a gaming-capable computer, and I'm sure I'll keep Windows on it for the games, but I generally prefer working in Ubuntu. Does anyone know of any special issues?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.