Lenovo X1 Carbon 7th Generation 2019 - X1C7 - Pre-Order Start and Delivery Dates?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by DualMonitors, Jan 28, 2019.

1. ibmthink

ibmthink Notebookcheck Deity

Reputations:
    I wouldn't be too sure about this. Resolution is not the only factor that contributes to energy consumption.

The QHD HDR screen of the last gen X1 Carbon was a higher-quality LTPS IPS LCD panel – this panel type consumes way less energy than a normal a-Si IPS LCD panel. Probably, the new UHD HDR screen will also be a LTPS panel.

Also, I think I have read somewhere that the new FHD 400 nit screen used in the new X1 Carbon should be a low-power panel (though not 100 % firm on this), which would further distance it from the plain old QHD IPS 300 nit screen.

I have a different experience with 4K UHD screens. My ThinkPad P51 features such a screen and I find that 200 % scaling works very well with most applications I use. What is problematic is when an external screen with a different, lower resolution is connected, this complicates things.

Also, if you have a general problem with scaling, QHD is no better than UHD. The resolution is also too high to be used without scaling, though it is just 125 or 150 % scaling instead of 200 %.

In this case, I would choose the FHD 400 nit screen. I doubt your use case would profit much from the QHD screen, unless the increased sharpness is an absolute must for you.

Yes, that is true. But of course, you don't have to use a screen with max brightness all the time. It is just nice to have the option to max out the brightness when it is needed.

2. xprohx

xprohx Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow, it's been a while since I posted in this forum. But the new X1C7 has brought me back! I'm looking to replace my current perfectly working laptop with the 7th gen X1C, so I'm hoping launch info comes out soon so we can get some more details.

Does anyone have experience with the touchscreen models of the previous gen? That's the model I'm looking to get as I would be using this in bed and non-desk scenarios so a touchscreen would be appreciated. Any complaints or issues with the touchscreen panels?

3. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    Given the X1 Yoga 4th gen will be a lot more similar to the X1C7 than previous generations have been (in terms of footprint, in particular), it may be worthwhile seeking out information on that model, too.

4. SeanSolo

SeanSolo Newbie

Reputations:
    I’m excited to get one as well. Wish they kept the same HDR screen as last year though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. DualMonitors

DualMonitors Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dear All:

i'm trying to decide whether the FHD at 1920x1080 or the WQHD at 2560x1440 would be the smart option to order for the X1C7. my current laptop is the X1C1 (1st Generation!) with a 1600x900 screen from 2012. However, i use my X1C1 only when traveling (1 month out of the year) and my desktop is my main computer, which has a 42" 4K display, so i am accustomed to very high resolution, but with a very large 42" monitor (not a tv, but a pc monitor).

Intended Use: I do not watch videos extensively at all on my laptop - business oriented work, lots of text and emails and web surfing. No gaming at all, minimal videos, mostly text reading and web surfing.

i will not process my digital images on my laptop much at all (will use my desktop for that).

some have said that the scaling issues with the WQHD for the small 14" screen size will be troublesome, as it would require a LOT of scaling. additionally, there may be some programs that will NOT allow for scaling if not written for Windows 10 (though i have no idea which programs they may be). Would I encounter lots of scaling issues (or situations where i cannot scale)?

may i ask if the FHD at 1920x1080 will be plenty good and the resolution will be very crispy (text and basic images) for an essentially business-use machine, with a good amount of web surfing use as well?

i am a somewhat picky person as i use a 42" 4K monitor on my desktop currently and it has beautiful resolution - crispy clear. but, at the same time, i want to be realistic and practical so if the FHD is all that is really required, overdoing it with WQHD will be of little benefit to me unless the user were to be a heavy duty video user, etc (or some other more specialized use).

Does anyone know if any of these FHD screen options are "HiDPI" (pixel doubling) or are none of the HiDPI screen options?
    Thank you in advance.

If the FHD options are indeed HiDPI, then chances are these FHD 14" screens would look very smooth! If the FHD options are non-HiDPI, then there is a chance that one may see some jagged edges.

Most people seem to say that FHD is plenty good, plenty high resolution, very refined looking, only very few says that they see jagged edges on a 14" FHD.

looking forward to hearing your thoughts, advice. thank you in advance.

6. mnd99

mnd99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is it possible to add the LTE card afterwards? Does Lenovo sell the LTE card by itself? Would it void the warranty if I buy it and install it myself?

7. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am thinking of getting a X1C7 myself, and was hoping to get some input from other users.

However, in the question on FHD/QHD/UHD on laptops in general I find both QHD and UHD to be pointless overkill in basically any screen smaller than 27 inches. Granted, I only do office work, gaming and some light movie watching. A good FHD is awesome on a 14 inch screen - In my oh-so-humble opinion of course... ;-)

8. Nyek

Nyek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    FHD is my way to go as well for lots of reading as I had a X1C with QHD and the fonts were so small. The Windows 10 scaling option is not mature enough and lots of software can show lots of visual errors so instead of the scaling option I prefer to buy directly the FHD option and save some battery, money and eye strain (and BTW, I don't wear glasses)

9. maven1975

maven1975 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can buy the card, but the antennas will be missing.

At least that’s the way it been for awhile now