Lenovo with Ryzen 5 5500U or HP with Ryzen 5 5500U?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by JDinGR, Nov 12, 2021.

1. JDinGR

JDinGR Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there
    I have 600 Euros to buy a new notebook and I am stuck between the following two models which have pretty much the same specifications;
    1) Lenovo IdeaPad 3, 14', Ryzen 5 5500U, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD, Radeon integrated graphics, Wi10
    2) HP 14, 14', Ryzen 5 5500U, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD, Radeon intefrated graphics, Wi10

About the Ram;
    - Lenovo has 4GB Soldered DDR4-3200 + 4GB SO-DIMM DDR4-3200 and I read that the upgrading could be a bit tricky and is possible up to 12GB max.
    - HP has 8GB DDR 4-3200 and I read can be upgraded easely to 16GB

About the Screen;
    - Lenovo has FHD (1920x1080) IPS 300nits Anti-glare, 45% NTSC
    - HP has FHD ( 1920x1080 ) IPS, that's all I could find

The Lenovo is 599 Euros
    The HP is 597 Euros

Maybe some of you guys could help me deciding between these two or maybe have a completely different model in mind...

Thanks a lot in advance!
    JD

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    They're almost the same notebook, so that means it probably comes down to subjective factors, which is hard for me to know about you. If you could go look at them in the store, that might give you some insight into which one you like better. Good luck and welcome to NBR.

3. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I agree these are going to be similar - look at the keyboard layout and port selection, things like that will help you decide.
    I lean toward the HP because of its superior upgradeability. 16GB of RAM is a must these days.

Charles

4. JDinGR

JDinGR Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you ZaZ and Charles for replying!
    I get your point but the stores selling the two models mentioned are just too far away from my place to go and have a look.
    May I add that I am a non-gamer and my tasks generally involve office, conference, video, surfing, lots of live streams. With this in mind does it make sence to say that 8GB Ram probably will do and instead put some more weight on the screen/built quality? (port selection similar)
    If yes, is it possible that Lenovo has an advantage here or do you still favor the potential 16GB Ram over screen/built? (I read that adding another 8GB to the HP increases the already impressive performance by 40%)
    I probably start going in circles, but nevertheless...
    Regards
    JD

5. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If the Lenovo is difficult to upgrade - check YouTube videos - then I would probably go with the HP. You can do what you want with 8GB of RAM, but I think it will be sluggish for what you want to do. Either laptop should accept a 16GB or a 32GB DIMM.

Chances are that the screens are similar between the two. With budget laptops, an IPS screen is all you can hope for.

Charles

6. JDinGR

JDinGR Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks Charles, I appreciate it!
    JD