Lenovo W520 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by zacharyp, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedisurfer1

jedisurfer1 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't know about best but I've run osx inside as a virtual machine in vmware workstation, the free version virtual box or vm player should have a similar way. I'm not sure the w520 is a good candidate for a hackintosh (though I've never tried). Just the vm works well for me.

prosetheus likes this.
  2. prosetheus

prosetheus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    EDIT: Got El Capitan to run in a VM. I have a 2820QM which supports Vt-d and x. Is there any way to allow hardware passthrough to get access to GPU acceleration in the VM?

Thanks for your response. I came to this place first as this forum has consistently been the quickest wit the most helpful responses.

With that said, googling did turn up some things:

- There is a proper guide by one of the forum members from here on another forum:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/273621-guide-os-x-lion-on-thinkpad-w520/

- Another dude seems to have gotten the W520 to function exactly as I hope to have it function in Mac OS. I have PM'ed him and waiting for a response but he has not been active on the forum since June.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285336-hackintosh-laptop-for-editing-and-vfx/?p=1881674

My w520's specs are:
    2820QM, 24 gb RAM,
    1 x msata (240gb with win 8. I hope to dual boot mac OS off of this drive)
    1 x 650 gb hdd with an old install of win 7 on it
    1 x 320 gb hdd in ultrabay.
    bios 1.34

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    Jarhead likes this.
  3. jcvjcvjcvjcv

jcvjcvjcvjcv Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    On SB system, don't try to boot from a USB 3.0 port

prosetheus likes this.
  4. jedisurfer1

Reputations:
    You can't vt-d passthrough the vid card to the vm with a win7 host and an osx guest. At least not last year when I did it. Now I've done it on a desktop with an ati card but this was when it was running on a bare metal hypervisor.

Problems are the main OS and the optimus driver setup. Last year or two ago the vm saw my vid as vmware vga adapter(I didn't care as I did no video editing in the vm, but the performance led me to believe it was not using the nvidia) In your shoes I'd force set the bios display settings to discrete then in preboot display settings of your vm I'd check the accelerate 3d graphics.

prosetheus likes this.
  5. prosetheus

Reputations:
    Thanks for the detailed response. If I understood correctly, I should try disabling optimus, enabling only discrete, then try to enable 3d graphics in the VM?

I've been doing a lot of googling lately into this whole hackintosh thing. Unfortunately, one needs to install osx BEFORE installing windows and ideally on a separate drive. The other option I have is to remove all drives (i have 3, msata, hdd port and one in optical drive bay), have just one drive in there (already partitioned), and install OSX on that drive, later attaching other drives and then setting up multiboot within mac os.

The only issue in all this is it possible to boot from the drive in the optical bay?

6. jedisurfer1

Reputations:
    Yes try bios and 3d option first. I can't see why you can't boot from the optical bay. If you press f12 when you boot you can choose msata, regular or optical bay.

Have you tried the vm performance? Is it satisfactory? I prefer it in a vm as I can take snapshots and go back in 15 seconds. Much easier to backup a vm and put the files somewhere else for me.

prosetheus likes this.
  7. prosetheus

Reputations:
    I too would much rather use it in a VM and assumed that with Vt-d I would be able to use it.
    Something that confuses me for a bit is the core count in VM. It asks how much processors and cores.

I can allocate 16gb ram easily. With a 2820QM, how many cores and threads should I assign to the VM for optimal VM performance?

I am working with a client that insists on using Final Cut X and has put me in a bind. All I need to do is to assemble a very rudimentary rough cut that is not very demanding on the machine.

I will give it another try through VM with discrete enabled and optimus disabled and see what happens.

EDIT: Upon some further googlefu, I've seen two other possible solutions to a prepostrous dual boot that requires me to mess up my current ideal setup:

http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere-hypervisor/

This is a free bare-metal hypervisor, that to my non-techie ears sounds like is run through a linux custom kernel and could easily be installed to dual boot with windows 8/10?

Is this what you were referring to?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  8. jedisurfer1

Reputations:
    I would not try to vt-d passthrough the video card on a laptop, I think google will has some not so pleasant results. Specifically someone got an nvram error by doing that. Too much risk IMO. If you only want to use final cut the vm should work. Just set processor at 1 and core per processor to 4 or 6 and try that first can probably go up to 8 even Should run everything normally but I've never really used final cut.

prosetheus likes this.
  9. powerslave12r

powerslave12r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello folks, first time Thinkpad owner here. I purchase a W520 quad core today and after reading around a bit, I saw some scary reports from users about motherboard failures and their consequent costly repairs (since I'm not under any warranty).

I have used Dell Latitudes for years without issues and the reason for buying the W520 was so it would be a rock solid companion for years to come.

After reading these reports, my confidence has shattered a bit and I'm thinking of canceling the order. Could someone please chime in with their experiences? Is this a common issue?

If so, I'll most likely end up with a Precision M4700/M4800 instead.

Thank you!

10. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Well, I've had mine since May/June 2011 and the motherboard has never given me issues.

powerslave12r likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.