Lenovo W520 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by zacharyp, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voostro

voostro Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  2. voostro

voostro Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    have not

but have a brand new Crucial M4 in my hand for a new install on my W520

(NO I am not fondling it, surely that would produce some static...)

I am exhaustively searching, reading, researching so I can do one good first install and it will all run all great.

My brain has melted, seriously.

I will report my best findings and advice after my 'install' goes well ??!

3. huberth

huberth Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    BIOS 1.32 has been released:

readme: http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/8buj10us.txt
    windows EXE: http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/8buj10us.exe
    bootable ISO: http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/8buj10uc.iso

Specifically, it fixes the the issue of bad performance on battery when you cold-boot on AC power. It does NOT fix the issue of bad performance when you cold-boot on battery power (the team is still working on that issue).

Summary of Changes:
    <1.32>
    UEFI: 1.32 / ECP: 1.18
    - (New) Improved system performance when a heavy software was executed with the 65W AC adapter.
    - (New) Added support for some USB keyboards with a fingerprint reader.
    - (New) Added support for the option to change product name and version format in SMBIOS.
    - (New) Disabled keyboarding while the lid was closed to avoid unexpected key input when the computer was held with the lid closed.
    - (New) Added support for Airplane in-seat power mode of ThinkVantage Power Manager.
    - (Fix) Fixed an issue that might cause slow system boot.
    - (Fix) Fixed an issue where the BIOS Update Utility failed to update the BIOS when DEP (Data Execute Prevention) was enabled.
    - (Fix) Fixed an issue where the computer might fail to boot when connected some Smartphones with the USB port. The following smartphones were tested: Motorola: Droid 2, Droid X HTC: Nexus One, EVO, Droid Incredible, Droid Incredible 2, ThunderBolt, Aria Samsung: Captivate, Galaxy Tab

Source:
    W520: Speedstep not working properly (on battery)!... - Page 22 - Lenovo Community

4. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    So far I haven't had an issue with power while using battery (though, I haven't needed it). However, the possibility of a faster boot time looks interesting. How much faster would a SATAII SSD boot if I moved to BIOS 1.32?

5. Colonel O'Neill

Colonel O'Neill Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So my W520 had it's second random shutdown in sleep today. It hasn't shutdown on me at any other time.

Basically, I put it into my backpack in sleep, walk to/from class, take it out, and it'll be off. The only striking fact (no pun intended) in both cases is that the backpack had been dropped or taken a significant tumble (both times onto concrete floor) in some manner with the laptop inside.

Maybe there's a correlation here? AFAICT, the issue isn't serious for me. Maybe the drop loosens the battery for a split second? :confused:

6. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    I've dropped my laptop several times already (every time the laptop was turned on), and I've never had it shutdown like that (using the "stock" battery without any tape to keep it on tight). Maybe your individual laptop could be defective, Colonel? I'd chat with a Lenovo rep to see if they have any suggestions.

7. biznatch11

biznatch11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I doubt it's the battery. With mine, no matter how I wiggle the battery it doesn't lose contact. Maybe it's the drop sensor? I'm not too familiar with how it works. If it detects a drop maybe it turns off the laptop to protect the hard drive?

8. biznatch11

biznatch11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Does this mean the W520 can run properly with a 65W adapter? In my experience even the 90W adapter doesn't work with the W520. :confused:

9. Colonel O'Neill

Colonel O'Neill Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wiggling it while on doesn't seem to cause it to lose contact either. The sensor shouldn't be on in sleep though...

I just reseated the RAM, in case it was just loose RAM. Hopefully it doesn't recur or worsen. It runs fine for days at a time when on though.

I suppose the W520 could run on a 65W adapter as long as you kept the consumption low. You should only encounter issues if you try to draw more than 65W from it, and the W520 is pretty light on juice at least when on battery.

10. kirayamato26

kirayamato26 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure you've already checked this, but, do you happen to have hibernation turned on so that the system goes into hibernation after an amount of time? (Or shutdown after a certain amount of time).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.