Lenovo W520 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by zacharyp, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kimocal

kimocal Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have a w520 / 2720QM / 4270CTO with 16 GB of Patriot 1600 working well.

2. bogatyr

bogatyr Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I ordered 1339 doubles from Insight.

3. zerodivide

zerodivide Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The newegg picture shows Micron RAM chips on the Patriot. The Crucial RAM were also Micron, wonder if the 1333 Mhz ones have a bad batch. But it's good to hear that 1600 RAM works on all slots. So it shouldn't be a design flaw on motherboard.

Ok, so it's not just the batch from Newegg that's problematic. Read a recent review at Newegg that said he got one direct from Crucial that was bad.

4. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    What kind of battery life does the w520 get with a 9cell plus slice in a quad core and quadro 2000m?

5. bogatyr

bogatyr Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah the first two work great. The second two had one bad one in them. Both pairs from Insight. I'm replacing them all with the Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz though.

6. infinus

infinus Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    6-9 hours depending on usage. With the slice batter, 12-18 hours.

It's an all day machine with the slice battery, I've liked having it a lot. As another bonus, with the slice battery attached it raises the back, AND, this is nice for you mobile performance guys, booting the machine with the slice attached the BIOS does NOT disable turbo boost!!!

7. Hempmaster

Hempmaster Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

I am new to this board but have followed and read the this thread for the past weeks and I am planning to buy a W520 soon. I would like to have a nearly perfect Notebook that will accompany me for the next 3-4 years but since I have seen and test the predecessor W510 at a local store and also read the W520 review on notebookcheck.de I am a bit uncertain about the display - brightness, resolution, colors .....

Does someone think, try or plan to upgrade to an IPS panel? I read about the x220, DreamColor and LG Panels. What about the W520 and changing the panel to a 300+ nits IPS Panel?

greets Peter

8. frogman23

frogman23 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was experiencing the same thing!! However, once I changed the wireless mode from 802.11 a/b/g to 802.11b ONLY mode, everything runs just fine. I suspect that the 802.11 g is more prone to interference than then b mode.

I would appreciate if anyone can advice solutions on this issue as the g mode is almost 3 times faster than the b mode when streaming from the same router!!

9. huberth

huberth Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is this the slice battery you have: Lenovo Support - ThinkPad Battery 27++ (9 cell slice) - Overview ?

10. Tiger22

Tiger22 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well I've diagnosed my problem a little further and think it is an incompatibility between my wireless router and the 6300. My router (a DLINK DIR-615) is running DD-WRT firmware which is not playing ball. I have temporarily setup a different wireless access point (NetGear WAG102) and everything seems to be running fine over 802.11g. What the root cause is I don't know but I'm making progress.

Still not sure why I can't see many access points though. Maybe there is a setting somewhere to boost the wireless card's strength to pick up more access ponts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.