Lenovo under $1k

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by snoopmt1, Jul 13, 2017.

1. snoopmt1

snoopmt1 Newbie

Reputations:
    I had my eyes set on a t470 or t470s, but when configured with the fhd screen, 8 gb memory, and 128 gb sshd, it puts me over budget. Should I sacrifice specs or is there a different model lenovo that I should look at to stay under 1k?

2. namaiki

namaiki Sydney, Australia Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Can you stay under budget if you don't get the RAM or SSD upgrades, or both?

3. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I configured a T470 with the 1080p LCD and backlit keyboard. Using the THINKPADSAV15 coupon code, it knocked it down to $925, which should be under under $1k. You can probably buy a 4gb stick of memory to bump it up to 8GB on eBay for $25 while Lenovo will charge you $70 for the privilege. You most likely can get a SSD for less than Lenovo will charge you. I would suggest getting it with the 500GB hard drive, then adding a 128GB M.2 SSD for the boot drive. You will have to re-install the OS, but you can keep the platter drive for storage, where speed is not as important.

If you don't care about the dual drives the T470 can offer or the fact it's not the latest model, the T460 or T460s might be worth a look too. You can probably pick one up under budget via eBay and it's a fine notebook.

Lastly, the Lenovo Outlet might be an option as well. The pickings are slim now, but if you can wait, some better offerings may come along and get you better value.

Starlight5, huntnyc and don_svetlio like this.