1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Lenovo u430 touch

Discussion in 'IdeaPad & Essential' started by mu5ic92, Jul 6, 2013.

1. mu5ic92

mu5ic92 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    i dont see alote of talk about the u430 that was announced. I know it hasn't been released but no ones excited for it? It looks pretty well built and has some nice specs imo.

2. andrick

andrick Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't like the less maintenance capability in U model (U410).

3. cernio

cernio Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I am interested in the U430. I don't think it comes out until end of August :(

4. tkwouter

tkwouter Newbie

Reputations:
  5. tkwouter

tkwouter Newbie

Reputations:
  6. mu5ic92

mu5ic92 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hopefully soon. The only thing that has me on the fence about this will the price to upgrade to the 1080p screen and a discrete GPU.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

7. cernio

cernio Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I am fine with maxing out specs up to ~$1200. This looks like a fantastic machine. I really hope it is available for U.S. before July ends.

8. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    For 1200 id max out a Y510p, but thats just me.

Looks like patience is the victor here.

9. Terran1212

Terran1212 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I wonder how a model that thin will handle heat..

10. econgradstudent

econgradstudent Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What makes you prefer the Y510? How do you feel those two compare with the T440S?

11. raptir

raptir Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The Y410p/Y510p are really completely different monsters from this. To compare apples to apples, the Y410p is 13.8" x 9.6" x 1.3" and 5.5lbs. The U430 is 13.3" x 9.2" x 0.8" and 4.1lbs. The Y series uses a 47W processor and an Nvidia GT 750m that will get you great performance but results in 4-5 hour battery life in non-gaming usage. The U430 is running a ULV processor (15W) and a (optional?) GT 730m that will get you good enough performance for daily use but won't run the latest games. The Y410p/510p are multimedia/gaming laptops whereas the U430 is essentially an ultrabook.

The Thinkpad T440s will be more similar to the U430, but is a business class laptop. You'll get better build quality and probably a better (matte, IPS) screen as well as (likely) a Quadro graphics card instead of the Geforce but it will likely cost significantly more.

I'm curious to see if a non-touch model will be offered. I don't see a real need for a touch screen and would like the reduced cost/weight of a traditional screen.

12. JustaNick

JustaNick Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think, that they will also release an 430 line without the touch display.

13. AlaskanBuffalo

AlaskanBuffalo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have checked the y510p but the lack of a touchscreen and its bulkiness killed it. The u430 is still the one to go with but it will only be with a dual core i7 processor which was disappointing.

That being said, are you people going with 1600x900 or 1920x1080 on the 14 inch display?

14. raptir

raptir Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Probably the 1080p just based on Lenovo's history. They tend to use higher quality displays in their higher resolution display options.

15. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If you thought the Y510P was a touch laptop/ultrabook you are way off. Y series are cheap gaming laptops/multimedia laptops.

16. AlaskanBuffalo

AlaskanBuffalo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have good eyes but I think 1920x1080 on a 14 inch would be too small for me. As for scaling down, I read that fuzziness occurs and sharpness decreases so its best to use at its native resolution. If the 1080p screen is $200 more, then I am definitively sticking with the base 1600x900.

I know the Y series isn't an ultrabook line. I was just looking for a powerful computer that can also be portable. Since computers are running windows 8 nowadays, a touch screen is imperative. After discounts on Lenovo's page, they cost the same give or take a few. If the 14in version is updated with a touchscreen I will consider it as it is only 5 lbs but generally for power and performance u430 is still the one to beat.

17. raptir

raptir Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    True, but Windows 8.1 is going to greatly improve text scaling on high res small screens.

18. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Its a little under 5 pounds (4.85) and i have to agree, BUT the u series has one major problem:

It is not user-serviceable (common on most ultrabooks), which means no battery replacements no SSD upgrades :(

And touchscreens = fingerprints :(

1600x900 @ 14 inch is easier on the eyes than 1920x1080

19. cernio

cernio Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hmm now I don't know what screen resolution to get. Is 1080p hard to read? Does 900p sacrifice a lot of quality?

Also, will this laptop last 4 years of daily college use? Is the battery going to be good for 4 years? I do not need 10hrs but I will probably be using it for 4-6 hours daily for work and entertainment. Thoughts?

And does anyone know when the U430 is going to release? I've been waiting since it showed up on the website and I am checking everyday.

20. raptir

raptir Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You'll really have to wait and see the reviews of the different displays. If what people were saying in the T440s topic is correct, there's no 14" 1080p TN panel, so it will likely be AHVA which is equivalent to IPS (a good thing). It will really depend on the quality of the 1600x900 panel.

People seemed to get around 4-6 hours of light use with the original U410. Since the U430 is using Haswell you should get somewhat better battery life out of it even if they use the same battery (probably 6-8, looking at how other Haswell refreshes have performed). Li-Ion batteries do degrade fairly quickly though. They are getting better, but after two years I would expect to see maybe 70% battery capacity depending on your usage. For year three and four you would probably have trouble making it through your 4-6 hours of daily use without plugging in. If battery longevity is a big concern for you, I would definitely look at a laptop with a user replaceable battery.