1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Lenovo U300s Owners Thread

Discussion in 'IdeaPad & Essential' started by Buckhippo, Dec 1, 2011.

1. mpscan

mpscan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  2. dan76

dan76 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Great find, your link is $13 cheaper than Amazon!

EDIT: not that I will be needing one... haven't we been through this debate! :)

3. dan76

Reputations:
    Have you tried changing the settings to "High Performance" in both the Lenovo utility and Windows power options? ...and rebooted since the change? (these little things are so easy to leave on all the time and never restart...)

As I mentioned in an earlier post, download and run CPUID CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting and leave it running while you attempt to max out your processor... see if CPUID shows the real time speed adjustments.

4. therourke

therourke Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Still..... Pretty pricey

5. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hey guys, Lenovo isn't going to supply us with another review unit so I am going with the one I have. As I noted, nothing appears to be physically wrong with this notebook. It is a production unit.

The chassis' severe flex is going to affect the ratings. Aside from the flex I like this machine so I'll find a way to balance it out.

6. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The U300s should be scoring identically or really close to the MacBook Air score I posted earlier in this thread. Especially for the price of the U300s.

7. dan76

Reputations:
    Has anyone used the HDMI to their tv yet? I just tried for the first time, and picture is beautiful, but no audio. There's no HDMI or digital audio option in the sound "playback" options... do we not have audio through the HDMI on the U300s?

8. 328is

328is Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Again available on newegg, how are they the only ones getting them.

9. 328is

Reputations:
    Just tried the NETGEAR Push2TV Box, works great after you make the recommendet updates

10. dan76

Reputations:
    Is Audio transferred also?

I'd really like to hear others HDMI to tv experiences... is my port bad, bad tv or cable... or is this by design from Lenovo? Again, no audio over HDMI for me.

11. 328is

Reputations:
    Yes audio is fine, havent tried it with a cable yet, will give it a test tomorrow.

12. BigNerd

BigNerd Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @dan76:

Audio should work too... that's what HDMI is for... both video, audio and even control signals.

Audio worked on an old Acer, my Transformer, my Sony SE and my Toshiba Z835.

13. dan76

Reputations:
  14. JAYK1

JAYK1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok, as I've said multiple times, I'm not super techie but I'll share what I have on my system and let's see it helps.

My processor score is 6.7. I'm on battery and using 'Energy Star' setting. I would start by trying to use that setting instead of the high power. Maybe there is a bug or something wrong with the 'power' setting. Not sure but it's probably worth a shot to see.

Also, I clicked on my battery icon in the task bar and selected power options. Went to "energy star" and then 'advanced settings' at the bottom. The next window that pops up has 2 tabs: Advanced Settings and Lenovo Energy Management.

When I click on the Lenovo tab it brings up a button to 'Enable Lenovo Energy Management'. This leads me to believe that I do not have that enabled at the current time. Why don't you see if this is enabled and try disabling it.

I still have the Lenovo Energy Management icon in my system tray and get the same window you have in your jpg so I might have it enabled but I'm just thinking that there might be something with the way Lenovo is managing something.

Hope that helps - just some info on my system with better numbers to help you troubleshoot.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Jay

15. therourke

therourke Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I came across this USB hub with built in ethernet:

[​IMG]

It's very similar to one Lenovo have listed on their website (not available to purchase in UK yet):

[​IMG]

Was wondering... If I had one of these with a built in VGA port and perhaps an SD card reader, well, that'd fill all the gaps in the u300s' armour.

Is there anything out there like that? Kind of like a mini, portable version of a x220 dock with all the trimmings

Edit: Perhaps not quite on the scale of these universal docks, but something like them, slimmed down

16. mpscan

mpscan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I do think there is some sort of bug in the management software. I downloaded a bunch of CPU monitoring programs and ran a bunch of benchmarks. CPU idles at a clock speed of about 795-798 mhz on general tasks, but when needed, it DOES use 100% of power when on "Balanced" or "Energy Star" settings. The benchmarks put it right smack in the middle of other i7-2677M processor benchmarks.

However, when I select "High Performance", for some reason it never utilizes all its available power (hence the low WEI score, as I ran that under high performance every time, and all three times got low numbers). As soon as I ran the WEI again on "Energy Star", I got 6.9!

There is some underlying problem, either in my U300s itself, or in the software (e.g., bug) with the "High Performance" setting not being all that high performance. :)

17. annoporci

annoporci Newbie

Reputations:
    I didn't know about the BIOS update. I haven't patched yet. Thanks for the info. I haven't noticed any performance issues, compared with my older HP with similar specs. However, I ran the Performance and Information Tools test (which I'd never heard about, isn't ignorance bliss?), and I got, on the "high performance" setting, 4.6:

6.7: processor
    5.9: memory
    4.6: aero graphics
    6.0: 3D graphics
    7.0: disk

so one big difference: a better processor score, otherwise comparable.

At this time I'm completely satisfied with my machine's performance. So much so that I haven't done a clean install of Windows, as I've always done in the past. I even let all the Lenovo tools load on startup (on my HP I load absolutely nothing on startup). So far so good. I run simulations continuously, but then my code is optimal :D

Have you repeated the test at different times, have you noticed differences?

Does the BIOS update patch make any difference?

18. RWUK

RWUK Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Neither of those have an external AC adapter. A single USB port only outputs 1.5v, correct? So if you've got say, a mouse, ethernet, external hdd and optical drive connected to the splitter, which just goes to 1 port on the computer, that doesn't degrade performance? I'd think at least the ethernet would suffer a bit.

Seems too good to be true but if not, that's awesome!

19. jnjroach

jnjroach Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I use the grey one shown above for ethernet (100 mbps), Bluetooth Dongle for a Unified Communications Headset, keyboard and USB videocard or USB LCD Monitor...

20. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The orange U300s is finally listed at lenovo.com for a thrifty price of $1999. Any takers? :eek:

Update: They fixed the price.