Lenovo thinkpad yoga

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by ctenc001, Jul 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctench

ctench Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is there a working fan controller for the thinkpad yoga?
    IF tpfancontrol works for this machine you may wanna give it a try.
    Anyone test it or have an alternative?

2. 600X

600X Endless bus ride

Reputations:
    TPFC works on the ThinkPad Yoga.

3. ctenc001

ctenc001 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thats great news! May I ask which version you use? One the official site I only see one listed for yoga 2 pro. i'll give it a try in the meantime.

4. 600X

600X Endless bus ride

Reputations:
    I used v062.

5. ctenc001

ctenc001 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks! from what I understand all I do is change it to manual, and then set it to max (0), and thats the max fan speed? Seems to have made very little difference both in temps and how audible it is. Not positive it worked.

6. 600X

600X Endless bus ride

Reputations:
    If you want to control the fan then set it to manual. To change speed type a number from 0 to 7 or 64.

7. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell?

Reputations:
    The ambient temperature is the temperature of the room. Mid 50s(C) is definitely a little high for a 72(F) room... I guess another thing to check is to make sure your CPU usage is actually close to 0% when you are idling? I am also of the belief that the various CPUs should not have significantly different idle thermal profiles.

8. phamhlam

phamhlam Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The i3 is clocked .1 GHz slower when idle (i3 minimum idle 1.7 GHz and i7 minimum idle 1.8GHz) but I still agree that it doesn't make a difference.

9. phamhlam

phamhlam Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Changing the thermal paste should be easy but you will definitely void your warranty.

10. kevroc

kevroc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Once again, this isn't a true statement. You have to take into account those things your computer is doing in the background as they can contribute significantly to the overall workload. You also can't lump "browsing facebook" in with "working in notepad", those are two completely different performance/cpu type tasks. It could even be your browser causing the issue depending up on which plug-ins and extensions you have loaded.

Until you can get a better understanding of how workload affects temperature and what causes workload, well you might as well be herding cats.

You should really start with the computer off for awhile so you know it's completely cool.

Boot up and put it in airline mode so it's offline. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes, check your task manager to make sure nothing significant is running, and then check your temps. If they are 48 to mid-50's then you have a problem. Maybe your fan isn't spinning or you have a bad chip/paste application, faulty wifi card, etc. etc.

If they are normal idle temps (as posted from others in this thread) then you can start to narrow it down based on the apps you use.

That's what I'd do...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.