Lenovo thinkpad yoga

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by ctenc001, Jul 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctenc001

ctenc001 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just purchased and recieved the thinkpad yoga from the lenovo outlet for $740 at the outlet. It came with a digitizer, i7, 8gb ram, 128gb ssd. It was a great deal and I love the form factor, however it runs a little too hot for my taste at idle.

If I were to go back and get an i5 or i3 model instead, would it run noticeably cooler at IDLE?
    I say idle because all I will be doing with it when its temperatures matter is using notepad++, a google chrome, and not much else. So it should be pretty close to idle temps.

Is it worth trying a lower specced thinkpad yoga in hopes of it running cooler, or should I shop elsewhere.
    My alternative is a hp spectre x2 2 in 1, which would keep the hot parts off my legs but I loose the stylus which im pretty unhappy about.

it'll be running in a ~78 F degree room.
    Any thoughts on the i3 vs i7 at idle?

2. ctenc001

Reputations:
    Bumping in hopes of some help

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
  4. ctenc001

Reputations:
    Thanks for the input however I feel my question is too broad for posting there.

My question is simply would an i3 haswell chip run cooler than an i7 haswell when both are at idle? If so, is it significant, enough to tell the difference?

5. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell?

Reputations:
    Well, what are your idle temps? I have the 4300U and my idle temps - doing nothing with like Chrome and Photoshop open - are in the low 40s(C) with an ambient temp of about 22-23(C).

6. kevroc

kevroc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Do you really think all chrome does is idle? Have you ever watched a youtube video or played a flash game in chrome? Do you understand that your laptop could also be downloading updates, indexing your drive, running a system scan, etc. etc. all while you think it's idling? Chrome also does it's own syncing in the background and notification stuff.

I noticed yesterday my Yoga would not slowdown from a high-gear mode for several hours and couldn't figure out what it was doing. I thought it should be just idling. I discovered later that it was automatically downloading apps that I had on my other laptop because of my Windows 8 sync settings.

You should try to monitor your temps over a time period by letting it sit there with no apps running to get a true sense of your temps. My i7 idles just fine and I'm as heat sensitive as anyone. You might shave a degree or two off by having an i3 or i5, but I don't think it would really be noticeable.

Edit:
    My temps are 42c-48c.at "idle" with just a browser open and all other systray apps closed

7. phamhlam

phamhlam Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I would depend on the clock speed. The i3 would run cooler since it would be at 1.7 GHz vs the i7 1.8GHz but the difference is too small to make much of a difference. The chip temperature is based on how much power it is drawing. The i3 is slow and the i5 is good enough for most task.

Please download speccy or HWmonitor and tell us what your temperature is. My T440s i5-4200U runs at 47C (room temp 25C) at idle while in a dock with three display running. In a heavy load situation, it gets to 65C.

8. 600X

600X Endless bus ride

Reputations:
    No...

...and no. (if you are referring to idle)

Both have the same clock rate and voltage during idle. It does not make a difference whether you have an i3 or i7. Stressing the CPU is a different story however...

As others have stated, please give us some numbers. The Yoga I had ran warm, but never hot. Also, what do you expect from a machine that is as thin as a USB port and has a 15W CPU/Chipset integrated?

9. ctench

ctench Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This laptops always ran pretty cool for me. Somewhere aroudn mid 40's under light use.

10. ctenc001

Reputations:
    I understand all of this, however doing nothing on your laptop but browsing facebook, or working in notepad if far closer to idle than under full load and most reviews only measure temps at idle and full load. So for comparision's sake, idle temps are far closer to what I should expect than full load.

As for the temps I expected, I expected the outward temps described in this review: Review Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga Convertible - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

My idle temps are around 48-mid 50s in a 72 F room. And while I don't ahve any tool to measure the ambient temp, it defintetly gets warm/semi hot to the touch.

Anyone ever change the thermal paste on the thinkpad yoga?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.