Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Bloody Nokia Adept, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sher the Love

Sher the Love Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There was a similar issue on the first galaxy note 10.1. If you tried making straight lines across the screen, it would make jagged lines in some spots. It wasn't as drastic as your picture, but more widespread across the screen. I noticed this while writing too.

I don't think there was ever any official conclusion, but many thought there was wires directly underneath those spots that caused this.

Also, lead_org, thanks for the battery stats.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

2. frederini

frederini Newbie

Reputations:
    If anybody interested - in Czech Republic the date, when TP Yoga will be in stock as confirmed by some resellers should be December 4th. TP Yoga with i7/8GB/256GBssd/FHD/digitizer is already listed for 42k CZK incl. 21% VAT = 2,100 USD

3. Almoturg

Almoturg Newbie

Reputations:
    The price difference is actually less than I thought: The extra cost of the 256gb SSD (on the australian lenovo site, the UK one doesn't allow changing the drive yet) is ~£187 while a 256gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD costs £162 on amazon.co.uk. I might still do it if the option becomes available on the uk lenovo site as the Samsung SSD is almost certainly faster than whatever is in the yoga and you also get the additional 16gb m2 SSD although I don't know if that would actually show up separately.

I don't see why a larger SSD wouldn't work.

4. newslang

newslang Newbie

Reputations:
    Untitled.jpg

Here's mine, exactly the same.

5. esmeet7

esmeet7 Newbie

Reputations:
    I"m new to the board and appreciate everyone's insight about the TPY.

Do we have any idea when we'll see a TPY with digitizer available in the US?

6. tpdi

tpdi Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Magnet, or enough wires to create a (noticeable) magnetic field. Had the same problem on my Galaxy Note 3, when it was in a third-party case with a magnetic clasp, except that that pushed the drawn lines out, rather than the pin-cushioning you're seeing. Solution, new case.

If it's not a magnet external to the device, then we have a poor design by Lenovo, allowing the internal components to create a magnetic field that distorts the device's digitizer.

7. tpdi

tpdi Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Man, Lenovo is really dropping the ball.

Two years ago, I got the X220 because *it had everything* (or, well, the X220T did). The point being that Lenovo offered a "no compromises" machine: great battery life with the larger battery, i7, all with a small footprint.

There's not a comparable Lenovo machine offered today.

Want high resolution? Then live with short battery life. Or get a a T440, and no digitizer. Want discrete graphics? No multi-touch. Small footprint, then live with soldered on memory and not enough of it.

Haswell gives better battery life, great, we'll shrink the battery, What?

I'd happily pay more for a machine that doesn't force me to compromise, but Lenovo doesn't offer it.

And now, they offer a digitizer with pin-cushioning. worse, it's in the very spot you're mostly likely to use the pen if you're right-handed.

8. VortexJones

VortexJones Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This was my thought as well. It's like, the screen is already just 12.5". Okay. Wacom digitizers seem to have a problem around the edges of the screen. Okay. But now you're telling me that there's a fairly wide-area issue with the digitizer right in the middle of prime digitizing real estate on the already small screen made smaller by edge issues? Not okay.

My enthusiasm towards the TP Yoga has just taken a major hit. This is like the issue with yellow on the Yoga 2 Pro. On one hand I want to chastise myself for having such first-world problems. "Oh no, these otherwise awesome devices that I don't even really need (in the Maslow's hierarchy sense) have these tiny flaws. Woe is me."

On the other hand, I wonder, "Why can't Lenovo just put out something that's up to snuff?" What about the legendary ThinkPad tradition that I've been reading about? I don't expect things to be perfect, but you know, just working correctly would be nice.

Guess I'll only be checking back weekly from now on to see how this plays out.

9. aitorpiku

aitorpiku Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does it happen when it is not in tablet mode? Probably it can be a HDD magnet interference in case you have a spinning one. Can anyone with SSD disk check this?

10. TechyLucky

TechyLucky Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is yours HDD version or SSD version?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.