Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Bloody Nokia Adept, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soul347

soul347 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am pretty sure they will offer these e-coupons shortly or upon release in the U.S. and in Canada just as they did with the Yoga 2 Pro. I am hoping I can get an i5, 256gb SSD, 8gb of RAM, FHD + Digitizer for around $1200-$1400. I just went on the Australlian website and customized the order I wanted and it came up to around $1615 AUD after applying the e-coupon which is about $1514 in USD. Mind you, that is already including tax. I would imagine that it will be even cheaper in North America

2. techlvr

techlvr Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello there. New to this forums.

I have my eyes set on the Thinkpad Yoga and I've wondering what advantages does the Wacom Digitizer option offer. I would think taking advantage of it will be very software dependent.

Any suggestions on this? Should I try to get the wacom digitizer option when this baby comes out or just get the regular version without it. Thanks!

3. soul347

soul347 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The advantages will mainly depend on YOUR personal needs. Here is how I use my Wacom digitizer:

-Digitally signing documents
    -Taking notes that require images that can't be easily typed
    -Highlighting and annotating documents/PDF's
    -Writing hand written notes
    -Annotating pictures and such
    -More accurate for clicking on certain things like dragging things around, selecting texts, etc. if I don't want to use my finger on the touch screen or use a mouse. Sometimes its faster than using a mouse/trackpad/finger touch
    -When doing power point presentations, I could make on the spot illustrations
    -Fun apps like fresh paint that uses pressure sensitivity
    -When in tablet mode, the digitizer acts as a mouse. You will sometimes find yourself in situations where you need a mouse function like hovering over certain things especially in web browsers

4. lead_org

lead_org Purveyor of Truth

Reputations:
    I wouldn't know, never used a Sony VAIO Flip 13 before. I am pretty much either ThinkPad or Macbook kind of person.

5. Sher the Love

Sher the Love Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Lead_org, I know you were talking about battery life before and it being around 5.5 hours. Have you noticed any difference in your new model? This battery thing is killing me! It's the deciding factor in whether or not to get this and so far your mentioning before is the only real world battery life I've seen. I pretty much have to have 6.5-7 hours to make it through a day at school.

6. techlvr

techlvr Newbie

Reputations:
    A few questions about this:

Can you still use touch with your fingers if you have the digitizer model?
    How does hovering work with the digitizer, you just hover with the pen without touching the screen?

Thanks!

7. beexsama

beexsama Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes you can still use your fingers without a digitizer. When you place the pen near the screen a dot will appear. Using programs like OneNote or something similar, this will turn on palm rejection. So when you place your palm on the screen to write/draw, it will not write/draw unwanted lines. The pen has a tip which gives you the ability to ink/write with different pressure sensitivity. You would not hover the pen over the screen to write; as it seems you are asking. Some pens have eraser functionality, which allows you to flip the pen and use the top end to erase. Some people like to use the pen while in tablet mode to replace a mouse. Tapping acts as a left click. Pen's also have buttons, which is generally binded for right clicking. You can find a lot more information online. Even better, go to your local store and mess around with a surface pro or something. If money is not an issue, and the slight added weight, as well as the wait time, then a digitizer version is definitely worth it IMO. But, to each their own.

8. iKazed

iKazed Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Remember, battery tests are done with continuous usage, so any downtime (i.e switching classes, watching videos, etc) will conserve battery life. It also does other things that use up processor power. I assume you'd need it for things like OneNote and browsing, so I bet you it would last that long if not more.

9. iKazed

iKazed Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Carbon Fiber is actually really strong, so I don't feel as if it'd be as much as a problem as it seems.

Sorry for 2 posts in one!

10. lead_org

lead_org Purveyor of Truth

Reputations:
    the use of CFRP for screen is probably to do with radio signal strength, since the antenna cable is behind the screen cover. Using a magnesium or aluminium casing would block some radio frequency. This is one reason why ThinkPad has the best wireless in the industry. It is because they always give consideration to the location of the wireless antenna to maximise reception and transmission. In the old day, the ThinkPad X6x and X2xx which had magnesium alloy screen cover, had special section that is made of plastic for the antennas.

Hodeis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.