Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Bloody Nokia Adept, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VortexJones

VortexJones Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I went to Fry's yesterday to check out the TP Yoga (non-digitizer model) in person.

To echo the sentiments of others in this thread, I was very impressed by the hardware. Feels like a solid, well-built machine (especially in contrast to those new Sony Vaio Pros - I picked one up by the corner and thought I was holding a paperback book). FHD display is beautiful, keyboard is quite comfortable to type on and has decent key travel (although I had to wonder about that funky key layout - guess I'll be spending some time in the BIOS remapping keys). I also thought the trackpad felt solid and responsive, although I think I would probably want to enable tap-to-click for the first time in my life rather than go through the ordeal of clicking down the whole trackpad every time I wanted to click. I've also never used a trackpoint seriously, but I thought the trackpoint on the TP Yoga was nice and responsive without being jerky - that little bad boy could really come in handy if you got used to it.

The TP Yoga's characteristic yoganess is also just as good as all of the other Yogas. The funky hinges and rotating screens I see on other convertibles scare me. I think Lenovo has the simplest and most elegant solution to the convertible notebook problem.

The only design choice that really left me scratching my head was the use of the CFRP for the screen cover. It does have a noticeable amount of flex, and I thought they could have really hit a homerun on the overall ruggedness of the machine by sticking to magnesium alloy throughout. To me, that would be worth the negligible amount of weight (and production cost) that might be added by doing so. But who am I to judge? Perhaps the flex in the screen is intended to prevent components from getting warped over time as you put the Yoga through its poses (although I can't imagine that would really be a problem given how stiff the magnesium alloy is).

In any case, it'd be awesome if they could launch the darn digitizer model in the US already :) Losing my mind waiting for this thing.

Hodeis likes this.
  2. Lasse M

Lasse M Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    how do this display FHD thinkpad yoga compare with the sony Vaio flip 13?

3. simon_at_mso

simon_at_mso Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I do have one slight problem at present with my ThinkPad Yoga.

For some reason the touch-screen seems to be on the blink. I have had to disable it in Device Manager. It just seems to keep randomly clicking in a vertical line approximately halfway across the screen. It happened once during setup and went away, and now it seems to be pretty constant after a few hours use. I'll be giving support a call in the morning, that's for sure, as this just isn't usable! I mean I can disable touch-screen, but what's the point of having it if you're just going to disable it!

4. soul347

soul347 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey simon, where did you get your TP Yoga? Is it a preview model?

5. cuba_guy

cuba_guy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Got the dock today and unfortunately it does not work (caps resolution at 1920x1080).
    I am sure it is a onelink dock because if I switch the same cable from dock directly to yoga (with hdmi->minihdmi adapter) it works with full resolution

soul347 and Hodeis like this.
  6. soul347

Reputations:
    Thanks for the observation and heads up. It's quite unfortunate that the dock caps at 1920x1080. I think the reason they did that is because they want to make sure there is no compression or loss of quality when using the dock. They would have to make a better cable for the onelink dock in order for it to push higher resolutions without loss of quality

7. impactblue

impactblue Newbie

Reputations:
  8. Sher the Love

Sher the Love Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would be very upset if I had recently purchased one at full price. Makes me think that I should hold off until one of these sales after it's released in the US....

9. simon_at_mso

simon_at_mso Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  10. soul347

Reputations:
    @Simon, that's quite strange, but my suspicion is that it is more of a software issue than a hardware issue. I remember having that problem with my Surface Pro, but I haven't had the problem for a while. It just went away without me really noticing perhaps after installing updates and upgrading to Windows 8.1. If you can't figure the solution, you may have to try a clean re-install. Especially look into your video drivers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.