Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Bloody Nokia Adept, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell?

Reputations:
    What do you like more about the Surface 2 Pro?

2. 3lj

3lj Newbie

Reputations:
    It's just a lot of little things:

1) The Size - in my old job the Yoga was perfect, I could use all modes, I didn't mind so much that it was slightly heavy in tablet mode. In my new job, I need something a bit more portable

2) I know this sounds weird, but having got used to windows 8 - and especially metro, I can see how touch screen is necessary.
    With that in mind, the surface is the perfect size to reach forward and touch, play with, manipulate etc.
    On the Yoga, i'm kinda caught in between using the trackpad half the time, and reaching forward to touch the screen - due to the keyboard being there - it's more of a conscious effort. Does that make sense?

3) This is more of a fault of Windows 8 - when I use two finger scrolling in Desktop mode, I can have it set up to how I like, Scroll Down, the page scrolls down. In Metro, I can't change that setting at all ?!
    Again, I know Metro mode is meant for touch screen, but it goes to back to number 2). With the surface it was just natural to flick with my fingers.

Like I said though, I still love my yoga, especially the digitizer, I just see the surface pro 2 fitting more in with my needs nowadays.

3. lead_org

lead_org Purveyor of Truth

Reputations:
    i found that you can use the ThinkPad Yoga as a large powerbank to charge your phone, even when the machine is completely off!

thewish likes this.
  4. thewish

thewish Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In terms of size, everyone has their preference. For the other problems though, can you not just keep the TPY in tablet mode? It's the exact same operating system as the Surface Pro 2, all the controls are the same across all the windows 8/8.1 platforms. Also, does your job and its requirements fluctuate often? I'd much rather just deal with the very slight weight and size differences of the TPY than to switch to a dedicated tablet with a crappy stick on keyboard, that can only be proped up at 2 different fixed angles.

5. ghostm42

ghostm42 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Minor point, but is it just me or is the 720p camera on this extremely crappy. I hardly ever use it, so I never noticed, but even in good lighting, the picture is worse than my digital camera from 10 years ago. The pictures taken are on 1280x720, so it's already max resolution. And the Lenovo Settings and Camera settings only adjust brightness. And because I'm new to Windows 8, but is there no webcam application other than the fullscreen "Camera" app for metro?

BugFreeWin likes this.
  6. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell?

Reputations:
    I prefer the Yoga (or other convertible tablets) to the Surface 2 (or other "pure" tablets) because the only time I am ever going to use it in tablet mode is for drawing. The rest of the time I want to navigate with a touchpad/trackpoint and keyboard because I find it far faster/more efficient than navigating with touch, and I hate typing on an onscreen keyboard. The snap-on keyboards for some pure tablets aren't terrible, but still fiddly and impossible to use on laps/beds/couches.

That being said, I wouldn't mind if the Yoga was still smaller and lighter; if they could shave half to one pound by going down to 11 or 10 inches (and it looks like they have enough room to keep the keyboard the same size) and retain the 1080p screen, that would be awesome.

Heh heh, found that out on a trip overseas last month. Was this not the case with like the x220t or x230t?

Yeah, it's crap, but not any worse than any other laptop I've used... I've never used a laptop with a really good webcam yet.

7. 3lj

3lj Newbie

Reputations:
    You raise some valid points. I know the SP2 is a lot more tablet than laptop, but for what I use my laptop for most days now, it fit's the bill. I have tried keeping the TPY just in tablet mode - maybe I'll make a bit more an effort, but for the most part it's just a bit too big and cumbersome for out and about use - I commute by bus now, so pulling out the TPY and using it is just a bit too awkward.

As I said though, the TPY still has so much going for it, and it's a job to use everyday -I know the OS is the same on the SP2, it's just it feels liek the SP2 meets my needs more now.

If I can find someone willing to buy my TPY or swap for a SP2 then great, if not, then i'll still be happy with my TPY!

8. volet182

volet182 Newbie

Reputations:
    If it wasn't for the lack of a three finger drag option then I wouldn't use the physical click button at all.

9. violet182

violet182 Newbie

Reputations:
    Can anyone provide a clear photo of the digitizer FHD screen with the anti-glare film removed? Would love to see an end result before I attempt to remove it. Wondering if it will improve slight blurrynees, but am hesitant because the anti glare properties seem effective against glare and nice on pen.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

10. wahlstrm

wahlstrm Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anyone have the i7 4600U model?:hi2:

I saw it comes with win7 installed instead of 8 and I wondered if that works just as good?
    I have a really hard time loving win8 so it makes the Lenovo yoga a bit mor attractive if it works with 7..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.