Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Bloody Nokia Adept, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. godofwar424

godofwar424 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I would say it has a better screen in terms of quality but that higher resolution is a disadvantage big time. Windows desktop just DOESNT scale well and 1080p is as high as my eyes can comfortably go at 11-13" with 1:1 scaling, and I'm 20 years old so I imagine anybody older then me (30's or 40+) will probably find 1080p at 1:1 eye strainingly small at this size. Also the fact that it has single channel memory but a higher resolution just asks for trouble, the iGPU is crippled severely yet it has more pixels to push. Never going to end well.

Another con is its considerably higher price for a machine that has some very stupid design limitations like single channel memory and a worse keyboard, I also heard reports of it having fan troubles but haven't really researched into it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

2. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell?

Reputations:
    I don't know the answer to 1, but you can definitely replace the stock drive with another 2.5" 7mm drive. I think I did see the Maxthon app on the factory image, but I uninstalled basically everything on said image.

3. godofwar424

Reputations:
    1. Yes but they are a little bit power hungry so you might get a slight battery hit.

2. Yes, any 7mm SSD will work just be sure to clone the original SSD and then flash that image to the new SSD before swapping them over and search this thread for the Recovery partition fix.

P.s. Step 2 is a much better option as a Samsung 840 Evo 500Gb-1Tb is a hell of a lot faster and more power efficient then the stock drive and an m.2 SSD. I am contemplating that upgrade but I might ask Lenovo how much they charge to do it for me for warranty reasons.

4. ymi

ymi Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    is there any way to get a 9.5mm drive in there if you remove some padding or the metal drive caddy?

5. klausita

klausita Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

How much better is the Yoga from the x220T (please note I do NOT use the tablet for drawing purposes)

6. Zero000

Zero000 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What are the specs of your X220t? For example , does your X220t have 16 GB of RAM? If it does , you will have to take a downgrade if you get the Yoga.

The ThinkPad Yoga can have a max of 8 GB of RAM (soldered).

You are getting a thinner form factor and better screen as well as decent battery life without the laptop being too bulky.

The ULV core i5 4200 is a little slower than the i5 3320m that was offered in the X230t and the equivalent i5 in the X220t isn't much slower than the i5 3320m so in terms of CPU performance , you might not notice a difference. You are definitely getting an upgrade in the iGPU department though.

7. soldier16

soldier16 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just got my TPY
    Pretty amazed with the keyboard, got a couple questions though:
    1) The fan sounds like a machine gun when i tilt the laptop at certain angles and also when it is powering up. Any Advice?
    2) The brightness level changes automatically- how can i disable this?
    3) Where can I adjust the clickable area of the trackpad
    4) How can I switch the Fn and the Ctrl keys?

For some reason my 4years old Thinkpad edge 14 looks brighter than this-- normal?

Thanks alot

8. godofwar424

Reputations:
    1. When the fan is spinning fast holding it at an angle causes a slight clicking, pretty sure its just the ball bearings in the fan, shouldn't cause an issue as its only at an odd angle and usually only when the fan is spinning fast etc.

2. Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change Plan Settings -> Change Advanced Power Settings -> Display -> Enable Adaptive Brightness

3. Control Panel -> Mouse -> ThinkPad Tab

4. Turn the laptop off properly 'Shut Down' Power it on while holding the Enter button and you will be in the BIOS. The option to switch the keys are somewhere in there, can't remember exactly but there aren't many options :p

soldier16 likes this.
  9. godofwar424

Reputations:
    I am pretty sure he was referring to the digitiser pen experience of the Yoga compared to the X220t :p

But the comparison you gave will be helpful I am sure.

10. godofwar424

Reputations:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.