Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Bloody Nokia Adept, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D_Toronto

D_Toronto Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My reasons exactly!

2. JDThird

JDThird Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I went through the Yoga 2 Pro, the Lenovo Helix, and yesterday I got my Thinkpad Yoga, all in the space of 4 months or so. Here was my experience, coming from a MacBook Pro:

I had a surface pro 1st gen since their release, and used it as a "toy" since I couldn't use it as a real computer with the little drive in them, and kept using my Retina MacBook Pro as my main work/personal laptop. End of 2013 I wanted to go with a touch device as my main computer full time. I sold the MacBook and the Surface Pro, and picked up a Yoga 2 Pro.

Liked the weight, the keyboard was good, although not stellar. Trackpad was quite a step down from the MacBook pro trackpads I'd been using for 4 1/2 years (switched to Mac in 2009 after using windows since it's inception in the 80's). The screen was beautiful, the touch worked well, everything was very fluid with the Metro interface. But I was one of those impacted by nonstop network drops. I replaced the onboard wireless chip with a dual band version, and still had the same issue (more on that in a bit). But the biggest issue I had was the high resolution. It was *too* high for what I do, which is work in IT and spend a LOT of my time in remote desktop sessions with servers. That doesn't scale well at all, and I ended up running the thing at 1920x1080 all the time to get around it. I figured between the wireless drops and not using the full resolution, there wasn't much reason to keep it. So I switched to a Helix in January.

Helix I loved, except for the lack of a backlit keyboard and again, wireless dropping all the time. Unfortunately, no option there to change it. The trackpad was large, bigger than the Yoga 2 Pro and bigger than my new Thinkpad Yoga, so I loved that, but hated the hard coded right click bottom right corner that Lenovo seems to want to shove down our throats (I can NOT get rid of that even trying hacks in the registry). Because of how I hold my hand when using it, the thumb usually rests in that area so I can't click and drag anything because that click is ALWAYS a right click. I'm still trying to retrain myself after 4 years of beautiful MacBook Pro trackpad use. It also got so hot on the back that it was impossible to use as a tablet for the things I'd use it as a tablet for. So whenever I wanted a "tablet" I spun it around and put it upside down on the keyboard. At which point I realized, "Why do I bother since I wanted it as a pure tablet when I could, and can't use that anyway, so if I'm always going to have a keyboard underneath it, I may as well just get the thinkpad yoga." The screen on the Helix was locked in well, but not *tight* so if you walk from one room to another with it you could feel it flopping around. The hinge wasn't moving, just the display around the two posts. It locked DOWN well, but it never got SNUG on those posts. And the metro experience with the older graphics controller was noticeably laggy compared to the Yoga 2 Pro, not nearly as smooth especially for things like Mahjonng and TapTiles (two games I love on Windows 8 touch devices). I also had image retention on it. Even the Retina MacBook Pro initially had IR and they replaced the LG screen with the Samsung screen and it went away completely. But it wasn't a big deal for me since with my background, I never noticed it. Even on my lock screen I couldn't see, it was only when I had a solid background such as the "enter your password" page that I would see these ghosted images of whatever had been there around the edges. Fortunately, in less than a minute they were gone anyway. But since I purchased the Helix with the intention of using it as a light tablet only at times, and never ended up using it that way, I got the TP Yoga.

Thinkpad Yoga - great feel, more solid than both the Helix and the Y2 Pro, although there's still more flex than I prefer in the base after all those years with the aluminum blocks on the MacBook Pros. But the trackpad is smaller than the helix, still has that annoying forced "always on" right click on the bottom right corner. I also had network drops, and wondered if it might be because of the Airport Extreme I used as my 802.11n base since this was now three Lenovo new laptops that all had the same issue. So I replaced it with an 802.11ac model from Asus, and all my drops went away on both the Helix and the TP Yoga. So I'm assuming that was the issue with the Yoga 2 Pro as well, something they don't like about the Apple Airport.

This screen is nice on this, far less reflective than the Helix was, which I am thankful for since that was as bad as the Mac, like a mirror. Fan isn't as obtrusive on the Thinkpad Yoga as well, although I used the thinkpad fan control on the Helix so it wasn't ultimately an issue there either. Keyboard feels good as you expect on a Thinkpad, exact same as I had on the Helix, just with backlighting this time. This anti glare mat on it gives it a different feel than the Helix - Helix was just glass, this has a slightly rougher feel to it, more akin to sliding your finger on paper. Some people like that, some don't. I'm split in the middle, so it's just something I'll get accustomed to, neither good or bad as far as I'm concerned.

First thing I did was swap the 180GB SSD for a 256 GB one (since the partner program I got this at a big discount through didn't have any of the models with a larger hard drive in the program and I preferred getting the big discount and spending a fraction of that price difference on a new SSD to install myself). That went without any issues.

One annoyance with the TP Yoga is the warranty. Helix came with a base 1 year depot warranty, and it only cost me $79 to upgrade it to 3 year next day onsite. The Thinkpad Yoga doesn't offer any 3 year like that, only a 2 year, and I *have* to have accidental breakage with it, so the 2 year on site next business day is $299. That really irritated me, such an insane price difference for a LESS EXPENSIVE unit.

Each one had its good points and bad points. I can see why various people would prefer any of them over the others. There are things I'd like to take off of each to make one perfect system. But at this point of my evolution I'm happy where I've landed. The Thinkpad Yoga is working out well so far, much more sturdy feeling when you flip the screen around compared to the Yoga 2 Pro. The keyboard lock thing isn't an issue for me, I never understood why people had such a problem feeling keys move under their hands when holding the Yoga 2 Pro. I had the same thing with the Surface Pro and until people complained with the Y2 Pro, it never even crossed my mind to even NOTICE it. But I guess some people just like that unmoving surface when their hands are underneath it so the Thinkpad Yoga certainly takes care of that complaint.

Now I just have to sell the Helix, only 2 months old so shouldn't be much of an issue with the huge discount I'm selling it for since I paid so little for it comparatively. But in the meantime I can flip between the Yoga and the Helix as I want.

I hope this one remains as trouble free for me as it's been so far.

3. zzip7

zzip7 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm looking at the price difference between a model with a dedicated SSD and a model with a 7200rpm HDD + 16GB SSD cache and I'm wondering how big a performance difference there would be.

4. jm2k

jm2k Newbie

Reputations:
    I've since exchanged the original Thinkpad Yoga I purchased for a new one. Unfortunately, this new one has the same problem. I don't know if it comes out clear in the video I've attached, but on the right hand side of my desktop, the image 'waves' before finally becoming static (after about 10-15 seconds). I'm inclined to believe that this is the watermarking problem that people are talking about on this forum, but it could be an altogether different problem. The image on my desktop is pixelated, which could explain the 'waviness' on the top right side of the desktop. (I don't mean to put anyone off of this device. It really is remarkable. But this problem with the screen is unacceptable.)

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  5. Tim Q

Tim Q Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hmm...

I'm not quite sure if I see it, but is the affected area that bright looking spot in the top right that extends to about a third of the screen horizontally and half of it vertically?

Can you run this test for the full 10 minutes and post your results? This is a similar test to the one I used to show the severe retention. Curious to see if this is related - on mine I see no such spot, but I have ghosting (refer to my earlier post).
    In particular, does it retain the image at all, across the entire screen, or just that one "wavy" area?

Retina MBP (rMBP) image-retention test

6. lanfratta

lanfratta Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    guys thanks a lot. Now I'll have to figure out whether is worth buying the i7 or not and find a reliable to store to buy it in NY, as lenovo decided to increase the price significantly (if you have one please let me know).
    I really do not understand their pricing, 1st they have very low price points, then they increase with millions of offer to put them down, they leave them up..Hope that someone in their marketing 101 studied the difference between baseline and incremental sales. Thanks once again!

7. D_Toronto

D_Toronto Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As I told a couple times on the forum, I bought mine from the Microsoft Store at the local mall. I saved about 400 (Canadian) dollars by doing so. They have 10% student discount. I suggest you check their online store and physical store if there is one where you live. They have very limited configurations but I found exactly the one I wanted so I went for it. Mine is this and it has a digitizer, though it doesn't say on the page: Buy Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga Touchscreen 2 in 1, Intel Core i5 - Microsoft Store Canada Online Store

8. jm2k

jm2k Newbie

Reputations:
    I've tried the test, and they're is, indeed, some image retention, though it is not nearly as obtrusive as the problem that occurs when I switch between apps and my desktop. I've now been able to replicate this problem on three different Lenovo Thinkpad Yogas, and, unless my Microsoft Store just got a bad batch, I'd wager that anyone else can replicate the problem I am experiencing. If any of the other forum users care to (dis)confirm my suspicion, my background image can be found here:

BBC Dangerous Knowledge Documentary - Logic Nest - The site of Ian Luke Kane. Thoughts on mathematics, logic, and life. The beauty therein and the strangeness of it all.

It is not merely a 'bright looking spot', but rather the desktop background slowly becoming static. What you will need to do to observe this problem on your own unit is to switch from a browser window, or really any other window that is different in color from the desktop, and after about 3 seconds of the desktop being displayed you will start to see the 'waviness' I'm talking about. I think I mentioned this previously, but the problem seems to be worse with some colors, grey especially, and with pixelated images, like the one I'm using as a desktop background. But I've also noticed this problem in a number of other settings, like when I'm viewing a movie.

On a different note, I, like D_Toronto, purchased my Yoga at a physical Microsoft Store. I can't imagine why anyone would want to pay $400 (approx.) more through Lenovo for the same unit.

9. Zero000

Zero000 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A huge difference.

Why do you think Apple doesn't bother putting a 7200 RPM HDD + 16 GB SSD cache in their laptops?

10. Zero000

Zero000 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Lenovo has coupons all the time. Lenovo isn't Apple...

If you know what coupon to use (at the right time) , it could be cheaper to buy directly from Lenovo instead of the MS store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.