Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Bloody Nokia Adept, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. infzy

infzy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Fair enough.

Yes, I am following the Dell thread closely:
    Has someone noticed ghost images (screen burn-in) on Dell XPS 12 Duo? - Laptop General Hardware Forum - Laptop - Dell Community

Sounds like at least they have engineers that believe a new batch of panels with new part numbers that they think are fixed. Of course, as with any IR, we can't really know if it's fixed until weeks or maybe months go by without IR being observed.

Quite frankly, any amount of IR (even a few seconds) should not be tolerable. My use-case would make it extremely problematic.

Anyway, I'm hopeful that LG is providing fixed 12.5" screens. I will be importing a Panasonic MX3, it is an expensive beast that probably uses this same cursed 12.5" LG screen, and I won't have much way of getting it repaired if it's broken. But now that Lenovo and Dell both think the problem is solved, I will wait a month to hopefully allow Panasonic to get the new panels too, and also to see if anyone reports problems with them, before I buy the MX3.

2. thewish

thewish Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    2- Here are a couple good threads regarding this. Personally I went with the Fugitsu T-5000, and ordered it direct from Fugitsu, 2 pens for $55 CAD. It took 2 weeks to arrive (GTA), they work perfectly, feel much like a Wacom Intous 3 without the rubber, and has 2 buttons and an active eraser (which is super hard to find)
    TabletPC Compatible Wacom Pens (Work with Surface Pro) - Page 8
    Modbook Pro Pen adds button you've been missing
    Fujitsu Digitizer Pen T-5000 is a two-button charmer

3- I have yet to get one, but I'm looking into this one due to its durability and waterproof-ness:
    Thule Gauntlet 13" Macbook Pro Laptop Sleeve (TAS-113) - Black : Laptop Sleeves - Future Shop

3. KrisWood

KrisWood Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I also went with the Fujitsu T-5000 for $30 ish on Amazon. It is indeed almost exactly like the Intuos 3 pen. The only thing I miss from my Intuos 3 is tilt sensitivity. If only there were a way to get that on a tablet pc I'd be in art heaven. :)

I'm having an odd issue that any input whatsoever wakes it up, even if the clamshell is closed. If I accidentally leave my wireless mouse on in the bag, I'll come back hours later to find my battery nearly drained and my bag burning hot. I just have to be careful to make sure the mouse is switched off before I store it. Maybe setting it to go to hibernate on lid close will help?

Edit: I set it to hibernate on lid close when on battery and that seems to have cleared it up nicely. :)

4. D_Toronto

D_Toronto Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks! T-5000 seems really good, I think I'll get that too. Why do you need two pens though? Do pens get bad in time?

Case you suggested is good if you're looking for a waterproof case. I'm more looking for a slim sleeve to carry in my backpack, and handles are useful to take it more formal meetings, and conferences. But I'm not planning to carry it around outside in that sleeve.

5. KrisWood

KrisWood Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I ordered this one:

Amazon.com: Targus Quash TSS55318US Carrying Case (Sleeve) for 13.3 Notebook - Black, Gray, Tangerine: Camera & Photo

I got it for putting my laptop and accessories in while it's in my backpack. It fits just right (it's designed for slightly wider, but not as thick ultrabooks, so its thickness makes it a tight fit) and the pouch is just barely large enough to fit the power cable and the mouse at the same time. Fortunately I don't need the charger cable most of the time. It easily lasts through a day most of the time.

If I were to get a different sleeve I'd pay closer attention to the dimensions. The TPY is 0.75" thick, while this sleeve was 0.70", and look for one with a slightly larger accessory pocket, perhaps with pen holders for my stylus. A handle might be nice too, but I almost always have my backpack with me.

Now I just need to get a larger backpack. My current one has to stretch to fit my TPY in it. XD

6. thewish

thewish Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Cheapest I could find a single pen was around $45 USD, so for me it was better to get the pair. Always handy to have a spare too. Also the nibs are interchangable with wacom pens prior to Intous 4, which is great since I use an Intous 3 at work :)

7. JDThird

JDThird Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You just described me to a T. I had a Surface Pro 1 and loved it, except for the keyboard, since I do a LOT of work at night with a laptop on my lap. Loved the size though, and the tablet functionality was great. I sold it, bought a Yoga 2 Pro, but the QHD screen was problematic since I do a lot of RDP to servers I manage for clients, and that doesn't scale well. I ran it all the time at 1920x1080, and figured why bother with that if I'm going to run it at that resolution. So I returned that after a month, and got a Thinkpad Helix, figuring I'd have the best of both worlds. And while I like it as a laptop (now that I finally tracked down my wireless issues to my Airport Extreme and replaced that and now my wireless stays connected) I find I'm not using it as a tablet with just the screen due to the heat. So anytime I am in "tablet" mode, it's reversed on the base anyway. So my main reason to pick the Helix over the Thinkpad Yoga two months ago was negated now anyway. If I"m going to have a "tablet mode" computer that always has a keyboard (which is what the Helix is due to the heat issue) I may as well have the newer processor, faster graphics, and backlit keyboard again. Not to mention an SD slot.

So I'm contemplating picking up a Thinkpad Yoga now instead, since I have someone who's willing to buy my Helix from me.

Since you seem to have gone much of the same path I did, is there anything negative about your switch to the different platform? I look at everything between the Helix and TPY and I can't see a downside to the move for me, since I never use the pure tablet form for this Helix anyway...

John

8. ykvishal

ykvishal Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @JDThird

I strongly feel TPY is a better option. However I would suggest you to wait for few weeks. Recently Lenovo has accepted issues about Image Retention issue and they are rectifying it. So I feel that it may take a while to get IR freee TPY. I am going to wait for a month before buying it.

9. klavkonz

klavkonz Newbie

Reputations:
    I've had the TPY for a bit and while I'm enjoying the form factor a lot, I just had it crap out on me. I had replaced the SSD with a larger capacity one and reinstalled the OS as well as installing new updates and etc. Everything was going fine for a while until this morning when I was on the internet and suddenly the screen froze (but the sound was still coming through). This has sort of happened in the past where the computer will become unresponsive but after a couple seconds it returns to normal. However, this time it had been a minute and it still wasn't responding, so I shut it down using the power button. When I turned on the computer again, it led me to the boot menu where it asked me to launch either the Windows Boot Menu or boot from the SSD. But no matter which selection I pick, it would always return to the same menu. It seems like it's stuck in a loop and I can't figure out how to just boot normally. Has anyone else had a similar issue or is this something I'll have to call up tech support for help? I'm also tempted to just wipe out the SSD and reinstall the OS again, but I don't want to do it everytime this happens and if this happens frequently, then perhaps I'll have to return it.

10. zalcorus

zalcorus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Try booting from your windows usb, and running the startup repair. More instructions here http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32523/how-to-manually-repair-windows-7-boot-loader-problems/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.