Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Bloody Nokia Adept, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KrisWood

KrisWood Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I received my TPY today! I must say at first blush I'm absolutely in love. The construction of my TPY is absolutely flawless, calming my fears after reading early pages of this thread when people had gaps where parts joined together. The clicking of the trackpad is obviously designed that way, so I don't mind it as much as some reviewers. I also don't mind the FHD as opposed to QHD. As a touch screen this resolution is barely useable, I can't imagine trying to use Photoshop on a QHD screen.

I installed the calibration profile right away, so didn't notice any difference in the appearance. Perhaps if I'd used it longer and grown accustomed to the default I'd have noticed more of a change. I've also set the taskbar to autohide so hopefully that'll burn in less. :)

The only trouble I've had so far is with pen input. I highly dislike that doubleclicking by tapping twice with the pen doesn't launch apps. This seems more of a design flaw with Windows 8 than anything about the laptop itself.

I also can't seem to find the Wacom calibration and button configuration app. I installed the Wacom Feel drivers and nothing new seems to have shown up. Where is it?

2. bbeaver

bbeaver Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Any problems with sounds? Like this: Thinkpad yoga - Sound output quality (clicking sou... - Lenovo Community

3. KrisWood

Reputations:
    I've experienced no sound issues but haven't put it through its paces yet. I'll try some things tonight and see how it does. So far side from not knowing how to find anything in Windows 8, everything seems perfect.

4. bbeaver

bbeaver Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's good. There is a change that some of the issues I have are after all related to the headphone cable. I'll look for a new cable and try it out. Maybe that cable is somehow more sensitive to electric disturbance that is occuring while laptop is in charge.

5. JDThird

JDThird Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Looking at picking one of these up. I had the Yoga 2 Pro for a month or so in November/December, but the QHD screen was too much of a pain for the remote desktop things I do, and since I ended up running it at 1920x1080 anyway to make it usable, I returned it and got the Lenovo Helix instead. Love the helix, been using it now for two months, but I picked this over the Thinkpad Yoga because of the true tablet option. But with the heat it produces, I never use it as a true tablet anyway, I just flip it over and lay it flat over the keyboard . So I'm basically using it the same way I used the Yoga 2 Pro, or how I would use a Thinkpad Yoga if I got one. My concern is that I suffered the constant wireless drops on the Yoga 2 Pro, even after I upgraded the wifi card to the AC model. I have the same problem with the Helix, nonstop drops that force me to disable and re-enable the wireless to get connected again. I'm afraid I'll have the same issue with the Thinkpad Yoga... But I will like having a backlit keyboard again, I got used to that with my MacBook Pros I used from 2009 through last November... I also hope the touchpad works better on the Thinkpad Yoga than it does on the Helix...

6. godofwar424

godofwar424 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Control Panel, there's the usual Tablet PC option but there is also another one with the Wacom ISD logo. Cannot remember the exact name but that's where the whole configuration options are.

7. grassman77

grassman77 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I don't know anything about the WiFi issues with the Y2P, but my wireless on the TPY (the dual-band AC model) has been rock solid. Even when the signal is weak (1 bar) I still get a much more solid, speedy connection than I ever had with my previous T400 (not really a fair comparison given the difference of about 6 years, but still).

8. KrisWood

Reputations:
    Thanks! It was at:

Start > All Programs > Control Panel > Pen Tablet Properties

I'm all set up now, what a splendid and fun machine! :)

9. soldier16

soldier16 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm thinking of getting a thinkpad yoga(4GB i5 model). Just got a couple quick questions:
    1) I know that the RAM is not user upgradeable, so could that be a problem in the next 2-3 years? I don't do any gaming or any video editing, so would the 4gb be enough for me?

2) I currently have a thinkpad edge 14, do you think the 12.5in screen and the new keyboard are much different? Is the typing experience the same?

thanks

10. godofwar424

godofwar424 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You should be fine, if budget alllows try and go for 8GB but if your usage isn't gaming or anything heavy other then productivity (office and web browsing) then 4GB is definately enough, hell Windows 8 runs great with only 2GB!

If your going for an SSD as well then the whole occasional pagefile bottleneck is significantly reduced compared to the old hard drive days, I mean RAM is still a lot faster then an SSD but compared to a HDD an SSD is a huge speed bump!

Long story short, you should be fine even in a couple of years.

Cannot help you with number 2 other then to say that the keyboard on this laptop is fantastic and really outshines any laptop I have used or owned in the past.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.