Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Bloody Nokia Adept, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbeaver

bbeaver Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I did quick AC wlan tests with yoga, ac66u and nas. Wlan seems to be quite solid. I was copying large files from nas almost 40 MB/s (see link). Laptop was about 1-2 meters from router. Even in another room door closed and concrete walls speed was around 35 MB/s. That's pretty good! Speed was constant and didn't go up and down. Only when I move the laptop around speed begins fluctuating.

http://i.imgur.com/45JWHTs.jpg

When copying files from yoga to nas speed was between 5-20 MB/s. Average maybe close to 10-13. Now speed was fluctuating a lot. But still pretty good speeds. Maybe there are some settings to play with to get a little more speed and more constant connection.

For comparison, copying files from nas to desktop pc via cat6 cable I'm getting speeds between 60-65 MB/s. I've got quite slow hard drives on both ends so that's limiting the speed.

2. yoshi4

yoshi4 Newbie

Reputations:
    I rechecked all cables, and yes, I found the HDD/SSD card - system board connector was pulled very slightly. After it was fully inserted, TPY got back alive. While struggling this issue, I checked the cables and connectors a couple of times, but I think it was so subtle that I missed it.

Thank you, eljer!

eljer likes this.
  3. soul347

soul347 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did you happen to static shock anything while you had the machine open?

Also, there might of been a slight chance something shorted out due to you not removing the battery, but I doubt this is the case. I think people swap their SSD all the time without disabling/removing the battery. My guess is that you removed or loosened something unknowingly while you were doing the swap. Especially check the battery cable to ensure it is fully connected. I remember when I was swapping my SSD in and out, I remember there was one or two times where the machine wouldn't power on at all, but I am not exactly sure why and how I was able to get it working again, but my suspicion was the battery wasn't fully connected.

4. coldmack

coldmack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    A tad unrelated, but does the ThinkPad Yoga 11 that was announced last month come with digitizer support or is the just the 12.5in model that offers it?

5. godofwar424

godofwar424 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It seems I am famous in Method 1 ;)

But it could explain why I haven't experienced any ghosting as I have been using the Calibrated ICC profile since the first week of owning the device. It seems the calibrated profile puts the display pixels in a condition that reduces the chance of image retention. Its perfectly possible that the pixels burn in more or less at different calibrations (contrasts, white points and colours) etc.

lazat and KrisWood like this.
  6. KrisWood

KrisWood Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was wondering something along those lines. My TPY arrives tomorrow. I'll run the calibration from method 1 and keep a color cycling screen saver as suggested in method 2 on it.

I do a lot of graphics work, do programs like Photoshop which have rather static grey interfaces burn in faster than other applications?

7. Zero000

Zero000 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are you sure you aren't talking about the IdeaPad Yoga 11?

None of the IdeaPad Yoga tablets have an active Wacom digitizer.

8. Tim Q

Tim Q Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you're talking about this: Lenovo Newsroom | Lenovo Unveils New Rugged ThinkPad Devices Built Strong for Schools

At this point I don't think anyone knows yet. But at that price, it might not be likely. Then again, the Vivotab Note 8 shows Wacom can be had in a relatively cheap device, so who knows.

9. coldmack

coldmack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes, that is the model. Is there a release date for it? I don't see much info about the device on the internet. I ask because the TPY is nearly perfect for me, but I prefer the smaller size of my Yoga RT(but not windows RT and the lack of a digitizer).

10. godofwar424

godofwar424 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    TBH Its not so much programs that burn in at first, its more the taskbar and the Start icon that become visible when switching back to the Modern interface on a dark-ish colour you can see a burnt in Start icon. I haven't experienced even the slightest of image retention so it really is luck of the draw. But then I have been using this calibration since week one and after 3 months haven't had any issues. I think the calibration is your best bet to help, also it makes the screen nicer to look at, and was done using a Spyder4Pro so if your using Photoshop you will want to use mine or your own calibration over the stock settings.

My usecase is using OneNote and Word ALOT both in lectures and out of so the taskbar is on the screen for hours at a time and still not a sign of image retention.

My Display Power Settings are also the following:

Turn off display after
    On battery: 5 Minutes
    Plugged in: 10 Minutes

Display brightness:
    One battery: 20%
    Plugged in: 40%

Dimmed display brightness:
    On battery: 10%
    Plugged in: 20%

Enable adaptive brightness:
    On battery: On
    Plugged in: On

p.s. I have re-attached the calibration to this post as the original is buried somewhere within this thread.

View attachment Thinkpad Yoga Calibrated ICC Profile.zip

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.