Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Bloody Nokia Adept, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grassman77

grassman77 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So this is kind of strange... Has anyone else noticed the ThinkPad OneLink Dock Management process using up a lot of memory? Right now mine is sitting on 1.6 GB (actual committed from what I can tell). I find this especially strange since I haven't been connected to my dock in over 36 hours. I saw this behavior before the BIOS fix, as well, both while connected and not... thought it might be a side effect of the dock connection problem, but apparently not. Haven't paid close enough attention to see if there is something in particular that triggers the growth, or if it's gradual, but I do know that even a couple hours after a reboot while actually on the dock it'll only be sitting on maybe 10% of this amount. Not sure if it's actually a sign of something wrong or normal behavior (like it'll release the memory if another process needs it), but in either case I can't see why it'd need to have so much memory reserved. Any thoughts?

I will note, on the off-chance that it's just my own computer that is the problem, I am still waiting for repairs for my throttle-stuck CPU (it's a number of forum pages back now... my i5-4300 is permanently stuck at 0.75GHz) due to a back-ordered mainboard. I think at this point I'm entitled for just a straight-up replacement, if possible (or heck, an upgrade), especially given I upgraded my warranty.

2. godofwar424

godofwar424 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you have the in call service that do it! Its much better to have an engineer come to you and do the work in front of you.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

3. zury

zury Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

I plan on putting Intel DC S3500 600GB SSD into Thinkpad Yoga. Does anyone have real-life experience with this SSD (DC S3500 series) and Thinkpad Yoga? Please dont comment/recommend other SSDs I dont care about.

Thanx

4. soul347

soul347 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Definitely something wrong. I've never noticed mine use up a lot of resources. I just checked my task manager and the dock management is using up 1.9mb of member and 0% of my processor. Mind you, this is with a lot of stuff connected to my dock. What do you have connected to your dock? I would try removing everything, and see if that changes anything, then slowly add different things to it to see if there is a device causing the problem.

5. grassman77

grassman77 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, as I mentioned, right now I'm not even connected to my dock (and haven't been for about 48 hours). Still sitting at a little over 1.6 GB after sleeping overnight, too. All I've got on my dock is my monitor, my wireless mouse/keyboard receiver (one the USB extension cable), an external hard drive, and a local ethernet connection to my desktop computer for occasional direct RDP usage. Not a ton, and all but the first two tend to sit fairly idle.

Oh well, considering the other issues I've got with my system that already point to either bad hardware or a bad OS image, I suppose this falls in line. Good to know that it's at least unusual, which better supports my case.

6. barfarf

barfarf Newbie

Reputations:
    Well after some good reading all of the pages in the forum and waiting for the ghosting issue to be fixed I have decided to wait no longer and roll the dice. So earlier this week I purchased the TPY from the online MS Store, but I realized within three hours I purchased the wrong laptop. There were two TPY laptops with seemingly the space specs for $999 and $1099. I even used live chat and the sales rep said there were no difference them except one was on sale and the other was not. Both had 1080P with touch, but only one had the digitizer pen which was stated in easily missed small letters at the bottom. I really wanted the one with the pen so I could do some note taking and drawing. Unfortunately, the laptop has already shipped and I need to wait several days for it to get to my home and then refuse delivery and wait some more for the balance to be returned to my credit card. Blah.

I really want the one with 256GB and 8GB Memory (the faster i7 CPU would not impact my use very much), but MS Store online does not seem to carry it in the past week or so. I even went to the brick and mortar MS Store In Indianapolis, IN (which is new in the past 6 months) to see if they have the 8GB/256GB in the store, but all they had was the 4GB/128GB and could not order anything bigger. I am thinking I can live with the 4GB memory and upgrade the SSD drive myself in the future. I have seen good instructions by helpful users in this forum on how to do it, but I have some concerns with voiding the warranty. I was considering buying the laptop directly from Lenovo.com but they are charging a base price of $300 more or $230 more with my student discount for the same spec laptop.

In either case I was also going to purchase the extended warranty has protection against the ghosting issue. MS Store has their Microsoft Complete 2 year warranty for $199 and Lenovo with my student discount has 2yr onsite + accidental for $206. The Lenovo warranty is bit nicer since it’s on-site. I will not have to drive 45 minutes to the MS Store and can have the tech come to my home or work. My biggest question is will the MS Store ever carry the i7/8GB/256 SSD with digitizer pen? Or will Lenovo has some amazing sale/discount to bring their prices in line with the MS store prices?

7. Zero000

Zero000 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You already missed the best sales that Lenovo had on the ThinkPad Yoga.

You can wait until next year when a similar discount comes back again though.

8. soul347

Reputations:
    It's quite hard for anyone here answer that question apart from speculation, but I'd say the TPY will definitely have some discounts on the Lenovo website in the coming months since it has already been out for a while. Lenovo normally does that. In fact they offered a 12% discount a few weeks back. In my experience with the MS Store, they merely discontinue products and bring new ones in or they just try to sell old stock without really reducing the price. Will the MS store carry the i7/8gb/256? Probably not. They usually only have limited models to choose from. If I were you, I'd probably try to get a good deal on machine with 8gb, then upgrade the HDD/SSD to a larger capacity one. I saved a good amount of money by putting a 500GB Samsung 840 Evo in myself.

9. soul347

Reputations:
    Highly doubt you'll have to wait until 2015. I'd guess the upcoming months will yield some good discounts

godofwar424 likes this.
  10. KrisWood

KrisWood Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I recommend signing up for their advertising email and waiting until the TPY is included, that's what I did. I ordered my i7/8gb/128gb ssd/FHD + pen for 12% off at $1440 last weekend during the St Patrick's day sale. If they'll give a sale for that I'm guessing they'll give one for Easter and memorial day, too. It seems like there's always something on sale, just a matter of time til it's the TPY again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.