Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Bloody Nokia Adept, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. godofwar424

godofwar424 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks! Your a lifesaver!

2. ground_state

ground_state Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Bronsky

Yes. I ran all of the updates when I got the machine back. The screen can still rotate, I just have to do it manually instead of it rotating when the machine is tipped over on its side.

3. Innermoon

Innermoon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello Everyone,
    I just have one question with the wifi card, I want to know do anyone know where can I get a Intel 7260AC card that work with this laptop, the BIOS whitelist is super annoying. I installed one from Newegg but I got the lock message. I've searched around this thread and the only one successfully change it was christoman with a card from M.FACTORS (7260HMWG Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11ac, Dual Band, 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0* - M-FACTORS Storage) The card look exactly the same as the one I got from Newegg, so I am not sure. I also got one from ebay with FRU 04W3813, I can boot to desktop but I cannot get the bluetooth working no matter which drive I install. I try all the bluetooth driver from Intel/Lenovo.

Can some one give me some input on where can I get a Thinkpad 7260AC card or will the M.FACTORS one work?

4. soul347

soul347 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    To all OneLink Dock users:

An official bios update has been released that should resolve Ethernet/USB disconnection issues when using the dock. The update can be found here:

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/gquj09ww.exe
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just flashed the bios and my initial assessment is that everything is working solid.

Connected to my OneLink Pro dock is:
    -External dvd player
    -Seagate 500GB External USB 3.0 Hard Drive
    -Laptop cooling pad
    -1080p External monitor via DVI
    -Ethernet

I did all these tasks simultaneously:
    -Transfer several gigs of files to my external hard drive
    -Play a dvd video on the main screen via external dvd drive
    -Play a 4K video at full resolution on YouTube on the external monitor (audio coming from main laptop speakers)
    -Power on laptop cooling pad
    -Disable wifi and solely use Ethernet

While doing all these things at once, there was not a single hiccup or disconnection with my USB devices or the Ethernet. Should there ever be a single hiccup with Ethernet or USB, I'll report here. I'd also like to report that there are no problems/unrecognized devices in my device manager.

One observation is my mouse still doesn't work consistently when plugging in the wireless dongle to the OneLink dock, showing that for some strange reason it can't maintain a consistent connection. All other USB devices work consistently without interruption.

godofwar424 and jcil4ever like this.
  5. grassman77

grassman77 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the same problem with my wireless mouse (and keyboard, to some extent). Appears as though it's most likely due to the well-documented interference created by USB3, which happens to coincide with 2.4GHz wireless devices. You can find a fair bit of info on this, even an Intel whitepaper discussing a bunch of research they did on the topic; unless the USB3 devices/ports/etc. are sufficiently shielded or until wireless devices move to a different band (e.g. 5.2GHz), it will likely always be a problem. My wireless mouse/keyboard (Logitech via Unified Receiver) works better when the receiver is directly plugged into the laptop than when on the OneLink, so could be a difference of shielding. What's worked for me is to move the receiver away from the dock using a USB2 extension cable. It's about 1.5 feet away now and seems to work fine, no erratic behavior.

soul347 likes this.
  6. soul347

Reputations:
    Sounds quite interesting. I'll try using an extension as well to see if that helps. When I put the wireless receiver in the laptop itself I experience zero problems. When I put the reciever in a USB 2.0 port on the one link pro dock, I get the erratic behavior. I also tried putting the dongle on the front USB 3.0 port on the dock, and it didn't work at all. Not really sure what's the issue. At any case, I don't mind putting the dongle on the laptop itself, but I'd prefer to put it on the dock since I only use the mouse when I am at home.

7. grassman77

grassman77 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, exactly the same thing I was seeing. Took me a while to figure it out, and thought it was the OneLink issue (I don't use the ethernet connection, so I didn't quite have any direct indication), but after a lot of Googling I started finding info about the USB3 issue. Apparently it's a matter of proximity to an active USB3 port (flash drive, ethernet adapter, whatever). Not sure if the mouse/keyboard receiver counts there, but could just be that the laptop itself has good shielding. The extra cable is a bit of annoyance, but if it makes me mouse sit still and my keyboard deliver every key press, then I'll certainly (mostly happily) live with it.

8. KrisWood

KrisWood Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone!

I ordered my TPY a few days ago and my anticipation is killing me. I can't wait to get back to work on my art projects! :)

I'm aware of the image retention issues on the screen, but since nothing else on the market does everything I want, I've decided to take my chances. That said, what are the odds of encountering this issue on the newer batches?

Also, can anyone recommend a good carrying case for the TPY? I'd like something plain and slender, nothing fancy. Preferably something I could toss in a backpack, and preferably something with a pocket for a stylus and nibs.

Here are the specs of the system I ordered, custom built from Lenovo:

Model number: 20CDCTO1WW ThinkPad S1 Yoga

Total memory 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3L on MB
    Hard drive 128GB Solid State Drive SATA3
    WiFi wireless LAN adapters Intel 7260 BT_ACBGN
    Preload OS Windows 8.1 64
    Processor Intel Core i7-4500U on MB
    System Unit S100 12.5FHD MT AG Pen Black

9. ZakaYaka

ZakaYaka Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I agree with you that there is nothing else like it for the cost. However, for now a while now the main IR thread over on the Lenovo forum has gone completely silent by the people who stated they were looking into it. I think the problem is still there and will be there for every computer although each will worsen at different rates. I don't think I would feel too good though about spending over a thousand dollars on a laptop only to have it be unusable after 6 months to a year. It's been very tempting all week to not order it from the Microsoft Store as I really want the laptop. The lack of responses and the fact that they need to "investigate" now for three weeks is absurd. Seriously, it's the panel, what else is there to investigate? If they literally came back into the thread on there and stated that they will support replacement for IR out of warranty, I would actually buy it.

10. soul347

Reputations:
    At this point I wouldn't worry too much about the image retention issue. You've already taken the plunge, so its just a matter of chance. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about looking for it. If it comes, then it comes, if it doesn't then it doesn't. I'm happy to report after 2 months I see no signs of ghosting whatsoever. Even if it did show up, I wouldn't be bothered too much, but that's just me I guess.

In regards to a carrying case, I've found that it fits most 13" laptop carrying cases/sleeves. Even though it has a 12.5" screen, the body fits almost perfectly for the 13" ultrabook cases. My suggestion is to simply go to your local bestbuy, target, etc. when you have your machine and fit them into the one that you like. IF you want a bag that fits the laptop + power cord and a whole boat load of accesories, I suggest the "Case Logic Atache 14 inch." It fits almost perfectly, and the accessories all fit along with papers and such without bulging out. It maintains a slim profile. For its price, it cannot be beat.

godofwar424, thewish and KrisWood like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.