Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Bloody Nokia Adept, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZakaYaka

ZakaYaka Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did you mean that as of today there is still no ghosting or that only today you have started to experience ghosting?

2. itinerator

itinerator Newbie

Reputations:
    So their online educational store doesn't seem to let me get the 10% discount. Any coupon code on your receipt? (last time i'll ask about your receipt, I promise ;))

3. a carrot was here

a carrot was here Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks! Good to know the 4GB RAM should be enough. I don't game much anymore, but out of curiosity, what kind of games have you been able to run on this? I might want to play some older games now and then.

It's too bad the version with the digitizer is $1,099. That's a little higher than I wanted to spend, but this laptop looks very tempting.

4. Sher the Love

Sher the Love Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I noticed that too when I was doing a mock checkout online. When I was in the store, it seemed like he was having trouble applying the student discount and even called another guy over to verify a code he was putting in. I think he might have just put in a general discount. My SP2 receipt says "offer disc" while the TPY says just "discount."

Maybe it just isn't updated in their system. Maybe try calling or doing a chat online.

5. ground_state

ground_state Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey Everyone,
    I've searched around extensively, but haven't come across a solution to my problem, so I thought I would take a chance on posting here. Apologies for the length

My Thinkpad Yoga completely died a few weeks ago. I had walked away from my desk while doing work and when I came back, it was sitting at the Windows 8 boot menu. The menu was still showing my hard drive, but any action I did would send it into a loop of rebooting multiple times before dumping me back into the boot menu again.

I sent it in for a warranty repair and when I got it back, they said they replaced the main board and the hard drive.

Unfortunately, when I started using it, I found two problems with the functioning of the device. They are both more annoying than anything, but it would be nice to fix them without having to wait another two weeks or more for another warranty repair.

Just to preface, I have called support two or three times and no one there has been able to point me in a direction to fix these things. Also, I am fully up to date with the updates in both Windows and the "System Update" software. I also tried to reformat over the weekend to see if that would help, but it didn't.

With that said, my problems are currently:

1) The auto-rotate function no longer works.

I cannot find documentation anywhere about what would control this function or a driver that might be missing. It appears as though there is a specific driver for Windows 7 (link), but not for Windows 8. I found a thread detailing a similar issue for a Yoga 13 which talks about an "HID Sensor Collection" (link) but there is no entry for that, or any sort of "Sensor" category in my device manager.

Pressing the rotation lock button while the screen is in the default orientation does nothing. There is no on screen display popup like there is for caps lock or volume control. I can manually rotate the screen using the Ctrl+Alt+Arrow Key shortcuts. Afterwards, if I press the rotation lock button, it will do the animation I remember autorotation having (the screen shrinks, then rotates), and the screen will return to the default rotation.

I'm pretty sure the accelerometer is still functioning because I opened the Thinkvantage Active Protection utility and the picture of the computer rotated when I moved my computer around.

2) The trackpad/trackpoint/keyboard are no longer disabled when the screen is folded back

This is pretty self explanatory. When the screen is folded back, I can still move the mouse around using the trackpad and trackpoint and click on things. This is mostly annoying if I have the computer in tablet mode on my lap and the trackpad accidentally gets pressed and clicks on something.

I would have assumed this function was taken care of by the Lenovo Transition software, but apparently not. I'm pretty sure Transitions is still working because the soft keyboard will pop up when I go into tablet mode and I have been typing.

Again, apologies for the long post, but I wasn't sure where else would be appropriate to post this to ask for help.

6. itinerator

itinerator Newbie

Reputations:
    Chatted with them, then had to call. At least got NBD out of them for the inconvenience. Which means that this baby is arriving sooner than my Lenovo-ordered one. They offered me 75$ off accessories, ... hm, anybody in the market for an i5-4200/8GB/128SSD? or can i take their free accessories and just send it back? Actually I should check both of them for ghosting and then decide, I presume. So how do I find out the manufacturing date of my display(s)?

7. rabramov

rabramov Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    While the first issue might in theory be software related the 2nd one is almost definitely HW - the keyboard/trackpad is disabled in hardware (my guess is it's a mechanical switch that signals BIOS to disable the input), so I'd try reflashing the BIOS first and if it doesn't help (probably won't, but doesn't hurt to try) you'll have to send it in for service. If you are comfortable taking it apart you might try to poke around inside and see if there are disconnected/poorly fitted cables somewhere, but personally I wouldn't bother and just send it in for repair.
    Also, people here have suggested finding a nearby authorized service center and taking it there yourself - apparently it can significantly speed up the process.

8. godofwar424

godofwar424 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Guys, could somebody with a TPY do me a favour and give me the info stored in this registry key.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AdaptiveDisplayBrightness\{23B44AF2-78CE-4943-81DF-89817E8D23FD}]

I tried out a couple of altered versions and I don't think they work so well for the TPY but I forgot to make a backup :p

I basically need all of this information, below I have put the adjusted adaptive backlight info that I tried.

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AdaptiveDisplayBrightness\{23B44AF2-78CE-4943-81DF-89817E8D23FD}]
    @="Adaptive Brightness Feature"
    "CRI"=dword:00000064
    "CS"=dword:00000005
    "SensorConnectionType"=dword:00000000
    "ALRPoints"=hex:00,00,00,00,11,00,00,00,0f,00,00,00,24,00,00,00,64,00,00,00,40,\
      00,00,00,54,01,00,00,64,00,00,00,e8,03,00,00,94,00,00,00,b8,0b,00,00,c8,00,\
      00,00,58,1b,00,00,f4,00,00,00,10,27,00,00,18,01,00,00,c8,32,00,00,54,01,00,\
      00,80,3e,00,00,f4,01,00,00

9. jm1

jm1 Newbie

Reputations:
    @="Adaptive Brightness Feature"
    "CRI"=dword:00000bb8
    "CS"=dword:00000063
    "SensorConnectionType"=dword:00000000
    "ALRPoints"=hex:00,00,00,00,31,00,00,00,05,00,00,00,64,00,00,00,2f,00,00,00,64,\
    00,00,00,76,00,00,00,64,00,00,00,f1,00,00,00,64,00,00,00,90,01,00,00,64,00,\
    00,00,e8,03,00,00,64,00,00,00,2a,06,00,00,7b,00,00,00,fc,08,00,00,97,00,00,\
    00,b8,0b,00,00,b3,00,00,00

godofwar424 likes this.
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    @Ground_state did you let the device update when you got it back. Screen rotation is a function of the graphics driver. My M80A tablet came from the MS Store without the update that enabled rotation. I had to update before it worked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.