Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Bloody Nokia Adept, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pwanamaker

pwanamaker Newbie

Reputations:
    That is my understanding: the SSD can be upgraded (voiding warranty) but the RAM is soldered on. Still, the MS deal looks pretty good to me. The i7 model is 1399 for the digitizer, 8GB RAM and 256GB hard drive. Last I looked, Lenovo's website had the same specs for $1,574.32 (and that was after their "discount").
    Also, FYI, the MS Store website says this model is out of stock, but the rep at the store said they had some they could get for the store.

2. Sher the Love

Sher the Love Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The only other number on my receipt, besides the serial number, is CWF-01673.

I don't do any memory intensive things. My main purpose is to take notes at school with OneNote. As mentioned, I was using a SP2 with 4GB and a 4300U and didn't have any issues. I've been watching HD Youtube streaming, but not an actual file. No issues with that either.

As far as the ghosting, I haven't noticed anything at all with normal use. I did the checkerboard test for about five minutes and it was extremely faint. I'm just going to use it as I normally would and see if it happens within the return period.

3. a carrot was here

a carrot was here Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everybody. My computer is rapidly dying, and I'm looking at getting a Thinkpad Yoga. From what I gather, ghosting is the only real problem with this model, correct? Other than that, you guys would recommend the Thinkpad Yoga, in general? I'm a student and basically just want a smaller, quiet computer to bring to class and take notes with, as I'm currently using a 15" laptop. I do like to run a ton of tabs on Chrome at one time (50+, yes it's silly), but nowadays most computers shouldn't really have a problem with that, right?

One other thing: I'm seeing two models on the Microsoft Store, one is $999 after a $200 discount, and the other is $1,099, but I can't tell the difference between them. Maybe I'm being dumb, but if someone could tell me if they are the same or not, that would be great.

Here are the links:
    Buy Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga Touchscreen 2-in-1 - Intel Core i5 - Microsoft Store

Buy Lenovo ThinkPad S1 Yoga Touchscreen 2 in 1 - Microsoft Store

Thanks everyone.

4. hotsauce

hotsauce Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The $1,099 has the Wacom Digitizer.

The other one does not.

5. yrc

yrc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The TPY does not have an mSATA SSD. It takes a 2.5 in SSD & an M.2 form factor 42 mm SSD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. jm1

jm1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Just thought I'd weigh in briefly on my new TPY. I'm happy to report that the TPY solves most of the issues I had with the Y2P that I owned for a brief period before returning. High points are a better overall build quality, far better touchpad, matte screen, tighter hinges = much less screen wobble, and I actually like the lift-and-lock keyboard more than I expected despite the fact that the Y2P's moving keys didn't really bother me in tablet mode. Biggest downside so far remains the cost. Some of that was mitigated by going with the hybrid HD. Planning on putting a Samsung EVO 750GB SSD in at some point- has anyone tried swapping the HDD for a SSD in the EVO line and can confirm that it fits?. One strange thing that I've run across is that Windows reports an incorrect maximum clock speed for the 4600U processor. It shows up as 2.10ghz/2.70ghz. I've watched the clock speed on the Performance tab of task manager and it regularly exceeds 2.7ghz, so I'm not sure why the mismatch. Has anyone else experienced this or understand why it happens?

7. rabramov

rabramov Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1. Samsung SSD fits just fine - it's the same physical size as HDD. There have been some reports about issues with the digitizer after the swap, though - apparently HDD has a magnetic field which needs to be accounted for in digitizer and swapping it for SSD might produce a black-hole effect. YMMV though, as I haven't seen a definitive problem description confirmed by several users.
    2. Task manager in windows is kind of a mess when it comes to showing the clock speed. The maximum speed that you are seeing there is a high frequency mode (HFM) clock speed of the CPU which, for the lack of a better description, is a "standard" CPU clock. However, most of the time your CPU will run at lower clock speeds - thanks to the Intel SpeedStep feature, which reduces clock speed/voltage to save power when CPU is underutilized. Newer Intel CPUs have another feature, called TurboBoost - it'll actually increase the clock speed above the HFM for a short period of time (if thermal and power limits allow this) when there is a high demand for CPU processing power. In those cases CPU clock will go above the "maximum speed". I guess MS had a hard time conveying all of this to the user in their task manager interface, so they decided to provide a somewhat simplified version.

8. rabramov

Reputations:
    And to elaborate a bit more on this - the drive bay accept regular 7mm drives (SSD or HDD or hybrids), although you might be able to stuff 9mm in there too. This is actually a good thing - 2.5" SSDs are cheaper than their mSATA counterparts and there are much more options to choose from.

The 42mm M.2 slot is kind of useless - it's a SATA port (not PCIe), so you can only use it for SSD, nothing else and AFAIK all M.2 SATA SSDs that'll fit there currently available on the market are small, slow, power hungry and generally not worth the hassle.

9. rabramov

Reputations:
    An FYI to those suffering from the OneLink docks disconnect issues - if you are feeling adventurous there is a beta firmware update available for download here Re: OneLink network port flapping - Page 26 - Lenovo Community that apparently fixes the problem.
    Or you can wait a bit - most likely it'll be generally available in a week or so...

10. soul347

soul347 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've had my yoga for 2 months strong now and I can recommend this machine. The computer does run quiet for office applications, web browsing, etc. The only time I only hear the fan is when I play a game with 3D graphics and anything else that puts a bit more load on the processor. You should have absolutely no problems running a lot of tabs on a web browser. I am using the 4GB RAM model and it has been running like a champ, no hiccups and runs smooth as butter.

I'm also happy to report I have not seen even a hint of ghosting until now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.