Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Bloody Nokia Adept, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. infzy

infzy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    This is an interesting question. I wish I could find a solid resource describing how the image retention (IR) problem manifests and which screens are likely to suffer, and to what extent.

Let's be aware that this problem transcends Lenovo. IPS technology seems to inherently develop some amount of image retention [1] [2] [3]. What's unclear is why some panels exhibit it so much worse than others, and why it sometimes starts to show up late in a device's life while on other devices it becomes noticeable almost immediately. Do there exist IPS devices that never get any image retention?

Apple Macbook Pro-Retina laptops are sold with either Samsung or LG screens, both IPS, but customers noticed IR with some of the LG devices, and never the Samsungs (as far as I can tell). Apple would replace peoples' LG screens with Samsung ones IF the retention was bad enough. Then sometime in 2013 their LG screen models were upgraded and reports of IR stopped. (I don't know if there is any slight IR in any of them, and who knows if people might start experiencing IR in these products someday!)

LG seems to be the biggest provider of IPS panels and also very frequently have IR problems. But when there is a force strong enough to complain, they fix them on select models but then still continue to sell other displays/sizes with bad IR.

It happened on the Lenovo ThinkPad X220 [4], that was an older lower-res display than the latest batch of 12.5" 1920x1080 IPS touchscreens that LG is selling. These screens (and IR issues) have been reported in the Dell XPS 12, Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga, and Fujitsu Q904. I am very sad because I was about to import an expensive Panasonic MX3, but it also has a 12.5" 1920x1080 IPS touchscreen which very probably comes from LG as well!

The problem is IPS is everywhere. If you want to avoid IR then it's not clear what products are safe. But these 12.5" LG screens seem to be the worst, everyone seems to complain about them but I don't see (m)any complaints for 11.6" or 13.3" products (except the early MBP-Rs).

Maybe I'll get a Fujitsu T904 (13.3" IGZO tablet-hybrid) but it looks like its keyboard and touchpad are sad compared to, hilariously, all the 12.5" alternatives I've mentioned (XPS12, TPY, Q904, MX3). I might just have to avoid buying a laptop at this time :(

[1] Avoiding image persistence on Apple displays
    [2] IBM Displays: Image Burn and Screen Savers - United States
    [3] Dell LCD Monitor exhibits image retention (similar to monitor burn-in)
    [4] Faint Ghosting on X220 IPS screen - Page 47 - Lenovo Community

BugFreeWin likes this.
  2. ZakaYaka

ZakaYaka Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for that detailed response. The T904, based on the thread over the tablet forum though has a noisy fan and for the cost is not worth it for me. I can get though the TPY with digitizer on the microsoft store though for cheap enough where even if I do get the retention, it won't bother me. The other option is going with the SP2 but that is a waste as the 10 inch screen is simply too small. I also would not be surprised if this November we see a 12+ inch SP3 thus it might be better to just hold out for a little longer and settle on the TPY.

3. itinerator

itinerator Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi! Did you order it or did you go to a physical store? I just chatted with somebody from the MS Store (none in close proximity to me) and they claim that none of their Yogas have a digitizer. Would you mind sharing the product number and/or whatever number MS chose to to identify it in their system (maybe it'll say on your invoice).

I recently ordered a i5 128SSD 8GB from Lenovo directly, but it's hard to ignore a 25% discount for 4GB RAM less. What do you guys think?

Thanks a lot!

4. Sher the Love

Sher the Love Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The model number is 20CD-00B4US. I got it from a physical store (Costa Mesa, CA) but it should be the same as this one here

The link even shows digitizer support in the description. So that's either an error or the chat reps don't know what they're talking about. It's a 30 day return from the MS store online. If it isn't a giant hassle to cancel through Lenovo and it's enough of a price difference, it might not hurt to order one.

Edit: I Googled the model number and it comes up on newegg.com as having 8GB RAM and digitizer support, but on a 768 screen. The 768 and digitizer is clearly an error since digitizer support is only available on FHD screens. Mine only has 4GB of RAM, so the 8GB on new egg might be another error or it's just a generic model number. Amazon also has the same model number, but doesn't mention digitizer support.

5. hotsauce

hotsauce Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is this the Microsoft Store model:

Buy Lenovo ThinkPad S1 Yoga Touchscreen 2 in 1 - Microsoft Store

?

If so, that seems like a really good deal. I may go by tomorrow and check it out.

You can replace the RAM and SSD in this, right? I have a 256 EVO SSD and an 8gig RAM stick that's waiting for a home. This would be the perfect fit...

6. pwanamaker

pwanamaker Newbie

Reputations:
    I was in a Microsoft store in Overland Park, KS on Friday looking at the Thinkpad Yoga. They only had one in the store and it was an i5 model with 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD. I "ordered" one with i7, 256GB SSD and 8GB RAM (the order is for the store and I am not obligated to buy it). Both models have the digitizer and the 1920 x 1080 display. It didn't look like the Microsoft store can even order the models without a digitizer. Even though the spec sheet on the store website does not mention the digitizer, I can confirm that the unit on the floor did have one. I'm not sure why they are leaving that out of the description. I would think it would be a pretty big selling point!

7. yrc

yrc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I gather that the RAM is soldered on the board. So the 8GB stick might need another home.

8. Sher the Love

Sher the Love Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    While there's no model number online, that should be the one. $1099 was the original price before student discount. I'm unsure about the SSD and RAM upgrades.

9. hotsauce

hotsauce Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Disregard this post. It was for a different model.

So the RAM is soldered and the SSD is an mSATA? Is that right? If so, that makes the MSFT deal look that much worse. It's a good price, but I'm not interested in being limited to 4gigs of RAM forever. I suppose you could rip it open and install a Crucial mSATA but if the RAM is a no-go, guess the only option is $1400 on Lenovo.com.

10. itinerator

itinerator Newbie

Reputations:
    Can you check with your receipt if the Product ID's matches "295784300" which is the one on the MS Store? Also, How's the screen (re; ghosting)? Do you notice any performance issues with only 4gb ram while e.g. watching/streaming HD movies (which is probably the most CPU/RAM intensive thing i do regularly... )? Thanks a lot!

May I ask how much the i7/256GB/8GB was? (and if that was with or without tax and or student discount) Thanks!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.