Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Bloody Nokia Adept, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BugFreeWin

BugFreeWin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Where did you buy it? If directly from Lenovo – look for support contacts on their web page, otherwise bring it to the dealer/shop you bought it from.

2. godofwar424

godofwar424 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have my "On Battery" profile set to maximum of 80% as the chip is more then fast enough for my on battery tasks etc.

The AC profile is set to a maximum of 100% and this test was while the AC was plugged in. For some reason the speed didn't go to the 2.6Ghz the i5-4200U is capable of, maybe my 80% battery profile got stuck. Still it was happy to run at 2.3Ghz which allows me to comfortably play a few games etc. without getting too hot or noisy.

The minimum clock is set to 5% for both Battery and AC profiles so the CPU was allowed to throttle around but it didn't at all during the Prime95 test.

Have you tried maybe cleaning the cpu and sticking some fresh thermal paste on? Maybe your builder applied the thermal paste poorly, or you might have a slightly dodgy fan?

Then again it is possible that the i7 just runs hotter, but seeing as the i7 is just an i5 with some extra cache and a higher clock I can't imagine it running so much hotter that the TPY cannot cope with it. :s

lazat likes this.
  3. unwichtig

unwichtig Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

i've recently gotten a different pen, because the one that is on the Yoga by default is too small for me. The one i use now is this one: http://shop.lenovo.com/ISS_Static/ww/ag/merchandising/options/images/large/_460_0_41U3143_V1.jpg

My problem now is, that the button is kind of annoying, and interfering with the way i write. Sometimes when i write, i trigger the button, which stops the writing completely. Now in the Control pannel i disabled the "right click" option of the pen. But this didn't help, because now it still stops my writing as soon as i press the button.

Is there a way to completely disable the functinality of this button?

Greetings

4. hjm

hjm Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When running Prime95 on my i7 4500U I see the following CPU speeds and temperature readings for the cores.

Running on 1 logical processor CPU @ 2.59 GHz core0 83°C, core1 73°C
    Running on 2 logical processor CPU @ 2.45 GHz core0 83°C, core1 73°C
    Running on 3 logical processor CPU @ 1.92 GHz core0 80°C, core1 78°C
    Running on 4 logical processor CPU @ 1.92 GHz core0 80°C, core1 78°C

lazat likes this.
  5. rabramov

rabramov Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't think Windows is showing the max clock correctly. Mine says 2.4GHz, although i7 can turbo boost to 3GHz, and indeed HWiNFO shows both cores "visiting" 2.99 for a short while. Still, with 4 threads running prime I cannot get sustained clock higher than 1.8, maybe 1.9 (as reported both by windows and HWiNFO), so your i5 is definitely hitting higher clocks. I have not tried repasting it myself and I do not think I would go there - it's expensive enough to just call on-site support and let the technician fiddle with it...

EDIT: Apparently Windows is showing the HFM clock as the maximum speed - no idea why...

lazat likes this.
  6. rabramov

rabramov Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yep - that's pretty much what I am seeing... Under 4 threads it hits higher clocks for a short while and then temps goes up to 80 something and it throttles to 1.8-1.9 and temp goes down to around 70

lazat likes this.
  7. lazat

lazat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks all for running some tests! I went for the i7-4500u and are praying to the Gods that i will get a tpy with good thermal construction :D if so then I think a i7 is worth it. But if there's bad thermal paste on mine like on rabramovs then i just wasted 125 CAD xD

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

8. ranjitvp

ranjitvp Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, still waiting on some of the older users of tpy to weigh in on the ghosting - is it prohibitive for regular work - I'm not too picky about the display -need a workcentre with hybrid capabilities and a digitiser for taking notes. Really need a new laptop for work..... HELP!

9. godofwar424

godofwar424 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I personally haven't suffered from ghosting. But from what I have read, the few who have gotten ghosting issues within a week of owning their TPY it has been unusable for them. Some mentioned they are particularly picky about it and others seemed to not mind too much.

It really depends on whether your screen starts showing symptoms within the first two weeks, if it does your probably going to find it very irritating. As well as whether you use solid gray backgrounds for wallpaper and such. I mean image retention wouldn't bother me if it cleared away in a few seconds, but minutes would **** me off. Neither would stop me being productive though, as word documents and emails shouldn't be affected by the start menu icon being stuck on the screen etc.

Best thing would be to take out an onsite warranty and that way while your travelling you can arrange them to come out to you and replace the panel if you do experience ghosting badly, its currently seeing like there's an 80% chance you'll get a decent screen. I made that percentage up to give you an idea from my observations on peoples reports.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

thewish likes this.
  10. thewish

thewish Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've had mine for nearly 3 weeks now, and the only thing I've noticed is that when switching from a dark screen, like a netflix movie, to a white desktop or internet browser, it takes about 1.5 seconds to ramp up to full white. I haven't specifically tested with the checker board pattern, because: 1. Frankly I don't want to stress the screen to the point where it could fail and 2. If there is an issue with it, I will be watching for it constantly.
    I have been keeping an eye on it though, (and after years of owning a plasma TV I know what ghosting looks like), I have yet to see anything similar to what the others are describing. Even running netflix for 2-3 hours with the TV black bars on the sides, then switching to chrome there is no marks where the bars were (my TV has these burned in due to my family watching netfix on the ps3 without the full screen scaling..)

I ordered mine directly from Lenovo.ca, i7-4500U 8gb with pen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.