Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Bloody Nokia Adept, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jools33

Jools33 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    (replying to soul347) No I'm not US based - I'm in Sweden. My TPY visited many countries before delivery. One thing I will say is that UPS's originally delivery estimate was 100% accurate - and so I think it is best to go by whatever date they give you - and not worry too much about following exactly where the shipment is (which only got me worried).

2. soul347

soul347 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I see. I haven't ordered yet, but I am concerned because if the thinkpad has to travel through so many countries and changes in temperature, perhaps that is what could be contributing to the build quality issues and problems

3. nikao

nikao Newbie

Reputations:
    I encountered an error when I tried to annotate/write on a pdf file with the pre-installed pdf reader or nitro. The whole pdf file started jumping around the screen as soon as my palm rest on it. It didn't stop so I could not even write anything with my stylus. Does anyone have a solution?

4. armstrongb

armstrongb Newbie

Reputations:
    Very happy with I7/128GB SSD w/digitizer - no issues as reported here.

I am experiencing a strange issue with WIndows 8.1 on this however - when in Tablet mode (display folded over keyboard) and holding it in portrait orientation, the leftmost icons on the main screen are barely visible of the edge of the screen. When I swipe right to scroll left I see them , but the display then 'centers' automatically and I only see the icons in the 'middle'. The same is true of the icons on the far right - when I swipe left to see them, the screen 'centers' again. I've been searching for help on this one, don't get any hits which is strange these days. Any hints out there?

5. Jim4D

Jim4D Newbie

Reputations:
    I've had it with Lenovo Customer Service in the UK, the service has been abysmall even in effort to purchase one of these devices, heaven forbid the service if I had warranty issues. It's a shame the device is almost perfect for my needs.

Are there any similar devices on the horizon from other suppliers? Windows device with Wacom Digitiser and a screen bigger than 10", pref i7 8GBish

6. big_boss

big_boss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I won't be worried about it at all. The ThinkPad is one of the best built laptops around. Mine arrived yesterday after visiting many countries; it's simply perfect.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

7. JDThird

JDThird Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Don't look at the pixels - I think he's showing the almost snowflake like arrangement you can see of grid lines on the screen, most notable between the windows icon and the IE icon, that repeats the rest of the visible screen. Doesn't look like the background as it's extended even through the color change on the very bottom of the screen.

8. mr_sarge

mr_sarge Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just wan't to update that my yoga has been shipped today. Delevery date estimate: 27 of December.

9. kuhfi

kuhfi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey,

Yesterday, I received my CTO TPY, and I love it. Wonderful build quality, fast, no issues with the digitizer whatsoever - the only thing that I don't like is how the touchpad behaves. When I do a middle click with my Trackpoint activated, it only scrolls, but I cannot open new tabs with it for instance or close open tabs. This is not a browser related issue, I tested it with Firefox, Aurora and Google Chrome. No luck with the Windows program closing feature via middle click either.

When I do the three-finger click, middle click works. I already updated the Synaptic drivers and tried to disable gestures. No luck. I also posted this here: Middle click on the Yoga - Lenovo Community

Anyone?

10. necromonger

necromonger Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A quick review. I've been eagerly waiting for my TPY and it arrived 2 days ago. I finally managed to unwrap and set it up last night and these are my first impressions / findings. Hope you find it useful in making your decisions.

Bottomline - I love it so far!

Specifications: Mine is a i7-4600U (wanted the Intel VT as I run a corporate virtual machine on it), 256 SSD, 8 GB RAM, digitizer, 1920 x 1080 configuration.

Initial findings:

• Mine came installed with Win 8.1 - though at the time of purchase it only mentioned Win 8. That was a pleasant surprise.
    • Beautiful screen! Coming from a 1368x768 screen this looked so awesome. Also very responsive. Does catch smudges but I'm used to that on touchscreens by now
    • Used the Lenovo utility to install BIOS and synaptics updates before I did anything else, and no sleep/wake issues, no trackpad issues: it's all working as it should
    • Like the keyboard very much. Feels more tactile. I also like the clickety trackpad
    • Power brick is pretty small. Such a relief after lugging giant Dell power bricks

Performance

• This thing is fast! takes about 10 - 11 seconds to get to my boot screen. And then 1 -2 seconds (!) to open the start screen. Silent operations - the fan went on only when I was performance / hardware scans
    • Wake from sleep is almost instantaneous
    • Wifi has been solid. I ordered a AC dual band card, and it hit 57 Mbps on my 5 GHz Wifi connection. It's pretty much the tops of what my Internet provider (Comcast) gives me, so I'm very happy. My software downloads and updates were all pleasingly quick
    • Did not notice any dead points on the screen. The digitizer works nicely. I'm not a graphics artist / photoshop guy, and I care more about quick drawings and note taking and it's great for it.
    • I find myself reaching to the touchscreen lot more than keyboard, and I'm not a Win 8.1 hater - it's fine for me
    • Screen is a bit glossy, but it doesn't bother me

Usage

I haven't used it in tablet or tent mode so far, but I can see myself doing that for watching videos while flying, or to browse PDFs and other documents. I was originally worried about how much SSD space I'd have after I install my corporate VM - and I still have over 150 GB left. If I recollect right, Win 8.1 took less than 40 GB. My 256 GB SSD is adequate for the near future. Only the SSD prices drop I will probably replace this with a 512, but that's a year or two from now.

Happy to answer any questions.

JDThird and amydaru like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.