Lenovo Thinkpad X120e User Review

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by MidnightSun, Mar 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waef

Waef Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    There is a working whitelisted bios out there already, as I am using it and have successfully installed an Intel 6300 card in my x120e. However, getting it all to work is a bit tricky. Also, there's obviously some risk involved, as you can't be certain the person who made it didn't mess it up.

2. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    I would advise against cloning, as other posters have mentioned. You don't need to get an external ODD for a clean install, though, as you can use the Windows 7 .iso file obtainable here and use the Windows USB tool to transfer that .iso file to an SD card (must be larger than 4GB). Because the X120e is bootable from an SD card, you can then use the SD card to clean install Windows 7, by following the directions in the thread I linked to earlier.

One important note is that if you want to avoid activation issues, it would be advisable to use ABR to backup your W7 activation status before doing a clean install, and restoring it later from a USB drive--that will save you a lot of time and energy. Again, that process is described in the linked thread.

As for the Samsung 470 64GB SSD, I got mine on eBay, as that's where the prices are generally the best if you're patient, but occasionally you can snag one for a great price from Newegg, Amazon, Buy.com, etc.

Yep, I believe there are some links on the (massive) SlickDeals X120e thread--I'm not sure if there's a whitelisted version of the new 1.11 BIOS that fixes the stutter issue, although I'm sure there will be soon if there isn't already.

I can definitely understand the motivation for installing an Intel 6300. The WiFi card is probably my largest annoyance with the X120e now that I've gotten the fan noise under control (thanks to TPFanControl) and the screen colors to be more accurate (thanks to some CCC color settings tweaking, with brightness and contrast). The Realtek card consistently gets lower signal than my T500's Intel 5300 ABGN card, and takes longer to connect--this is a bit of an issue for me in some areas of my dorm and certain lecture halls where signal strength is relatively weak.

3. Waef

Waef Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    There's an updated version of the whitelisted BIOS out now, but I'm hesitant to upgrade, because someone in the thread said that the 1.11 whitelisted BIOS wasn't allowing their card to work. I'm not sure if updating the whitelisted BIOS is going to be simple, where it will just immediately work, or a huge pain. So before I try it, I'm waiting to see if someone else can get it working.

4. sisqo_uk

sisqo_uk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yea i know but the price.... as the screen thing . its fine for me however when i used the seagate xt drive i had to install everything then after a while i noticed the lines. i installed the bios and never saw it again.

This happened to me. i re ran it a few times, maybe 5 times but it fixed itself

5. V13_Prince

V13_Prince Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  6. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    Where are you located? For US, this price is okayish, it's not all that great. The base E-350 Lenovo configuration now includes the 6-cell and 320GB 7200RPM drive at a price of $449. Manually configuring it with BT and installing more RAM later will bring your total price to about the same as your Buy.com price.

Add in Lenovo coupons, though, and you could potentially get it cheaper from Lenovo. So no, the price is not all that extraordinary, although the X120e is a pretty solid machine.

7. Bojack

Bojack Newbie

Reputations:
    Alot of good nfo here, thanks to all that have contributed.
    I'l be receiving the X120e tomorrow.

Two questions, what key is used to access the bios during boot up?
    and I will be putting in a SSD, how do you enable AHCI in the bios?

Thanks

8. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    Press F1 to enter BIOS setup.

AHCI should be enabled by default, but you can check in BIOS. Go to Serial ATA (SATA) > SATA Mode Option, or something like that, and choose "AHCI." "Compatibility" is IDE mode.

9. Regnad Kcin

Regnad Kcin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'd give the deal a bit more credit. From Lenovo you have to pay sales tax in basically all states. That's near 10% for me. I think the buy deal adds, W7 Pro vs Home, 4gb vs 2gb, Bluetooth and finally no tax. If I wanted those upgrades I probably couldn't beet that price from Lenovo. However, since I don't care about BT or W7 Pro the memory is the only perk for me. Even without tax I could beet that deal by going through Lenovo.

10. Bojack

Bojack Newbie

Reputations:

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Is the card reader limited to SD only? I can't find any specifications about it. (type of cards or size limitations) I saw where it is bootable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.