Lenovo Thinkpad X120e User Review

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by MidnightSun, Mar 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k2001

k2001 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Brian,

Congratulation on getting your processor to 3.8 on WEI, guess it's stupid of me to think that the WEI benchmark will run when the power is not plug-in.

By the way are you going to get an SSD for your X120e? I am debating whether or not it is worth it.

2. Brian10161

Brian10161 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm still on the fence as to whether or not to put my 60GB OCz SSD in this computer or leave the 7200RPM 320gb drive in it. I like having all my music on this little machine. And now with the BIOS update applied, I am finding this computer a lot more peppy than it was before.

According to an old program I still use (CPUMark 99) I gained 25% of a boost in performance. I know CPUmark doesn't measure actual performance, but it's a rough idea. I went from a score of 101 to 126 after the BIOS update.

I'll let you know if I go to an SSD in it though. One thing I am considering, is another 2gb of ram. I think 4gb would be the sweetspot with Windows 7.

3. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    @Brian10161: Interesting that a BIOS update would boost CPU performance that noticeably. Which revision were you on before, and which did you update to? I recently flashed from 1.08 to 1.11, and didn't really notice any difference.

4. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
  5. Furkat

Furkat Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey man, wonderful review, I am too, pretty soon will be owner of x120e,
    I ask you to help me with SSD installation, my order estimated on 04.21.11
    So I was thinking to switch hdd to ssd and to samsung SDD just lik yours 64gb , but I am not Pro about this, what do you think, should I do:
    1) get hdd cloner and clone hdd to ssd without first boot up.
    2) create recovery disc ( windows image copy )by buying DVD player.
    3) or something easer and safer you would suggest to me

I have no clue what is CLEAN INSTALL
    AND where can I buy ssd samsung 64g (amazon is good?) and RAM 2gb.
    I'll be greatful for any help and advice.

Furkat

6. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    I recommend a clean install to make sure the SSD is properly aligned. A clean install would be using a Windows OEM disc and using the COA on the bottom to activate Windows. Windows 7 should get most of the drivers.

Newegg is a good bet (really depends where in the world you are located).

7. etiRkca

etiRkca Newbie

Reputations:
  8. Kaso

Kaso Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  9. k2001

k2001 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Clean install will also tweak the system to take advantage of the SSD (turn off hdd defrag, fetch, etc)

10. Randomocity

Randomocity Newbie

Reputations:

I saw that noone answered your question from earlier, so I'll try and explain a little. The answer to your question is painful at best, and impossible at worst. Lenovo whitelists wireless cards in the bios, and if you use one not on the whitelist, your computer wont boot. There are quite a few ways to hack your bios and enable the card, but they can be considerably risky if you dont know what you're doing. Most involve you having to take a hex editor to your bios image (which is editable through windows, oddly enough) and manually adding the deviceID of the 6300. I haven't heard of anyone successfully doing this yet, but my thought is that the thinkpad abgn card is so good that to me, I couldnt care less.

Hope this helps, and dont let it deter you from getting this machine, it's pretty freaking awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.