Lenovo Thinkpad X120e User Review

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by MidnightSun, Mar 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    How do you have a 6.9 WEI on a 5400 rpm mechanical hard drive?

2. lbhuang42

lbhuang42 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It does seem unlikely, doesn't it. I've never really paid much attention to the disk transfer index on any of my PCs because CPU and graphics are usually the prominent bottlenecks. My new T410, also with a 5400 rpm drive, is only a 5.7 on the disk score, so the 6.9 figure certainly seems suspicious.

I've re-run the test but it's only an E-240 so it's taking a long time.

Update: Nope, the numbers barely changed:

Processor: 2.5
    Memory: 4.6 (+.1)
    Graphics: 4.1 (-.1)
    Gaming: 5.7
    Disk: 6.9

Maybe Lenovo put a 7200 rpm disk in my machine by mistake, haha.

3. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    I've never seen a mechanical drive NOT score 5.9 in WEI? Odd.

4. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    The recovery data is split into two parts--the first is a bootable USB section, which takes up very minimal space (I believe even a 512MB flash drive would suffice).

The next part is the recovery data, which is basically the factory drive image. This takes up a tad bit more than 7.5GB, which is to be expected as the equivalent burns to 2 DVDs.

Not sure if you can directly copy the data portion over manually. The Lenovo software, though, will not permit you to burn the recovery disks twice, onto both USB and CD/DVD.

That does seem a bit strange... typically, that's a low-end SSD-range score. Desktop 7200RPM drives typically score around 5.9 in W7.

5. ET3D

ET3D Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Nice review.

Regarding the price, since the default configuration at $400 now comes with a 320GB 7200RPM disk and the 6 cell battery, and $440 for the E-350 version, the Thinkpad is now competitively priced. For $10 more the HP comes with Bluetooth ($20 option on the X120e) and another 1GB of RAM ($40 option on the X120e), but if you don't need them the X120e ends up a bit cheaper (and if you do, buying 3rd party RAM is the way to go).

6. onthesc

onthesc Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    btw for people doing free installs. the UltraNav DRIVERS link from the lenovo site wasn't working for me. By googling I was able to deduce the link to the file here: http://download.lenovo.com/mobilesjp/84q105ww.exe

I haven't installed it yet since my x120e wont come until later in monday, but I did ran the .exe and the prompts do say it is UltraNav Driver 15.2.1.0.

7. clicq

clicq Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I get the same thing, if it makes you feel any better:
    [​IMG]

But it's not real, as evidenced by CrystalDiskmark:
    [​IMG]

8. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    Yep, the file was missing when I tried to find it, thanks for posting. I ended up installing the same UltraNav package as is available for the T500, and it works just fine as well.

9. lead_org

lead_org Purveyor of Truth

Reputations:
    i seen a X120e today, and i can say it is a darn good machine, something i would actually consider buying. Why can't Australia enjoy the same level of pricing as the US market....

Nice machine, the fit and finish is much better than the X100e.

10. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon

Reputations:
    Yeah, the rest of the world always gets left out of the U.S.'s great pricing on computers, although ironically many parts of most computers aren't even made in the U.S.

Really? I would imagine that the X100e and X120e have pretty much the same fit and finish, as they share a nearly identical chassis design and many external/internal parts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.