Lenovo ThinkPad T420 Review: The Best Business Laptop? Discussion

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by Charles P. Jefferies, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Lasted edited by : May 7, 2015
  2. Goren

Goren Notebook Virtuoso NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    the battery life is pretty awesome. I remember back in the days my T43 got about 4 hours and that was considered very good as most other notebooks at the time got 2-3! and here we got one going for 10 hours!!! (with a 9 cell). Also back in the days we had very few ports on our thinkpads, and this one got most of the ones we need!

as for the new chiclet keyboard on some of the other thinkpad lines, I actually like it alot, if not better than the traditional ones. blasphemy yes.. but its quite nice!

3. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    I'm kind of surprised I don't have a ThinkPad since I am a keyboard layout junkie. I might jump ship since I am not a fan of this latest generation of EliteBooks.

But overall this T420 ... great machine. I'd probably spend a bit extra and go for the T420s.

4. Ethyriel

Ethyriel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I like the feel of the keycaps, especially compared to other chiclets. They just need to work on the action and layout, though I haven't tried the X1.

5. jedisolo

jedisolo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I deployed a Thinkpad T420s to one of our users at work and that is one light laptop. Now I just need to save up to buy one.

6. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Not quite sure that I agree with your comment on the T420 having a great screen, but it's decent, especially when you compare it with other 14" models. Other than that, the T420 is definitely an excellent notebook overall.

7. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    I praised the screen for its anti-glare coating and 900p resolution, only referring to the actual quality of the screen once or twice. I didn't praise the picture quality.

8. Pylon757

Pylon757 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Too bad it went 16:9. The T410 looked fantastic but the bezel on the T420 makes it look pretty bad.

9. MidnightSun

MidnightSun Emodicon Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I recently helped my girlfriend configure a new T420; it was a great deal with an i5 CPU and HD+ screen at ~$650. Very solid machine with a great keyboard (I love the new-style volume/mute buttons) and fantastic port selection.

Things I didn't like: fan noise is audible, body is noticeably thicker than the T400, ridiculously thick bottom screen bezel, lack of additional indicator lights.

Well, the screen is higher resolution, and I would argue that 1440 --> 1600 horizontal pixels is very significant, as it makes side-by-side document viewing very practical.

The bottom bezel is very thick, though... personally I would prefer a smaller trackpad and maybe the loss of a USB port and Firewire, in return for a thinner bezel.

10. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    True, it does look somewhat disproportional. However, I prefer the change - as MidnightSun noted, the screen resolution increases to 1600x900, or 10% more space than the 1440x900 16:10 standard. 1440x900 > 1600x900 is the only instance where the 16:9 aspect ratio is a benefit.