Lenovo ThinkPad T410s Review Discussion

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by dietcokefiend, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The T410s' DP should support audio over it. I believe users in the Thinkpad forum have tested it.

2. dietcokefiend

dietcokefiend DietGreenTeaFiend

Reputations:
    Checked for it as I wrote that section. Only one audio device was visible for output (speakers) where most HDMI systems will have digital audio out.

3. ellipse1000

ellipse1000 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the same T410s as the reviewer, except for the SSD: mine is a smaller 128-gb Samsung.

It's a fast machine, light and OK to carry. Battery life is not so bad considering it's a 6-cell only - plus it's easy to plug in another 3-cell. I also like the hard disk bay, extremely useful.

However I am a bit disappointed with this laptop. As mentioned the screen definitely is sub-par. Also the switching software between graphics cards (Intel / discrete) is clumsy and not too reliable: twice the screen turned black and I had to reboot. (Windows 7 also had 2 unexplained BSoD in a month). The size (1.8") of the main disk is a limitation, too.

All in all I'd probably not buy the laptop again. I'd rather get a plain T410 for work + a second-hand X series for portability.

4. shamanjp

shamanjp Newbie

Reputations:
    Great review!
    I have a T410s with integrated graphics and the 250 gig HD.
    I was also a bit disappointed with the screen until I used my eye-one display 2 calibrator to create a monitor profile. It calibrated quite nicely and now the whites are white and the blacks are black and the colors although less vibrant are more realistic. The viewing angles are still poor but that does not affect me, other than to enhance my privacy.
    Battery life is a trade off when you want thin and light. I didn't want the added depth and weight of a battery that stuck out the back, and I prefer my ports on the back also. I purchased the ultra bay battery and while I am glad I have it I rarely need to use it.
    My reason for choosing this laptop was the ThinkPad keyboard, track point, durability, finger print reader, and all the computing power I need, all in a form factor that is comfortable to use and to carry. I have owned both X and T series ThinkPads and I find this one to be (for my needs) the best of both worlds.
    So far it has been rock solid with Windows 7 64 bit. And plenty capable for a non-gamer like me.

5. dandv

dandv Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How is ASUS U35Jc a "much superior choice" when for the same weight, it doesn't have an optical drive, it has a reflective screen that's impossible to see in sunlight, and no ThinkLight?

6. brookedale1

brookedale1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Plus a lower res screen vs the T410 1440x900 optional res screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.