1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Lenovo Thinkpad T410 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by TinyRK, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    So in other words, if I want to make my own custom install, I'm screwed?
    +1 rep BTW.

<<< Also, can I download the image from their website or create it from the HDD when it arrives?

2. alexBe

alexBe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Update on my low-res T410!

Spoke to Lenovo this AM, and they will take it back from me! Amazing!
    Technically their T&Cs says I have up to 7 days after delivery to return the product, no questions asked.

So spent 10 mins on the phone with her as she wanted to know the reasons...
    I explained about the low res issue and the fact that during order process, it was quite tricky to spot the difference.
    Funny enough, she was also on a T60 (my current laptop) and she wanted to get my feedback on T410.
    I explained that the biggest drawback was the 'form factor' of the screen! I hate wide formats and will deeply regret my T60. She is also due an update and will also miss her T60 15"...
    She said the reason to move all production to wide was following extensive customer surveys where most people, incl. businesses, would prefer wide format just to watch movies!!! Argh!!
    What about Excel users huh? :-(

Anyway, she pointed me to a shop in London (246 Totenham court road) that carries the whole Lenovo range, so I might pop in to check the T510 and the W range...

3. realwarder

realwarder Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  4. alexBe

Reputations:
  5. cwillygs

cwillygs Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys Im thinking on buying this notebook. I have a few questions before I order though. Does anybody know if this laptop is XP compatible and are there drivers for it? Are there any flex on the center of the screen when it is closed and are there any flex when opening the lid? Is the keyboard good or do the people that say its horrible just asking for too much?

6. Mutnat

Mutnat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's great news that you can send back your low-res T410. Good idea to check out the other models--but bear in mind the T510 and W510 (and I think the new W710 as well?) are all 16:9 wide screen, so even wider than the aspect on the T410.

7. hceuterpe

hceuterpe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can you find an OEM install disc on the net somewhere? you can actually backup your Windows 7 activation and restore it on a new install of Windows 7, assuming it's the exact same version on the same laptop.

8. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    A pity they do not provide the installation W7 DVD. Will have to make an image from the HDD then. But the whole idea was to be able to install the OS from scratch with minimum drivers and create my own custom image. Alas...

9. k2001

k2001 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    According to their website there is driver for XP, but I haven't seem anybody install XP on it.
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-74582.html

10. alexBe

Reputations:
    Thanks Mutnat.
    Yeah, I realised when buying the T410 that the good old days of 1400x1050 resolution where gone :-(
    Also noticed that the bezel around screen is about double the size on the newer models (compared to T60).
    Really don't like that in terms of looks, makes them feel/look sooo old!

11. cwillygs

cwillygs Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks a lot. for the info! im new to thinkpads and is still wondering about the keyboard and the screen are there any flexes? thanks!

12. viox

viox Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    any real word on battery life? preferably with the Intel integrated graphics..

13. orev

orev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's trivially easy to find a clean install disc. There is nothing wrong with that (it's not piracy) as long as you have a license, which you do as it comes with the laptop. Just make sure to install the same W7 edition you have the license for. If you can't find the exact DVD with the exact edition, you can use any W7 DVD and modify 1 file and it allows you select the edition to install. Just make sure you get 32-bit or 64-bit as needed.

You can backup and restore the activation using the ABR tool in my sig.

14. cwarner

cwarner Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A user over at the thinkpads.com forums posted some recommendations for colour settings for thinkpad displays. I'm too lazy to make an account there, so I figured I'd post the link here--jhawkins I'm assuming you browse here as well. Thanks for the thread! I never even thought to play around with those settings and it's made a huge difference... the only real gripe i had with my T410 was the colours seemed a little toxic at times.. the settings you recommended fixed all that!

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=85851

I'd recommend everyone give it a go.

15. alexBe

Reputations:
    Absolutely agree on T410 screen colour settings!
    Probably worse out of the box I have ever seen: all was VERY greyish.

On my T410, there was an Nvidia card so same process but go through the Nvidia software to set it up properly.

TBH, I was hugely disappointed by the screen.

16. cwarner

cwarner Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    One thing I've noticed regarding the colour settings that I linked to above, is that while it improves the grayness issue that alexBe mentioned, it also causes some other colours to be a bit too, uhh, pastel? For example, I'm finding a lot of supposed light blues are now more aqua. I guess I need to tweak some more.

17. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Thanks for the detailed answer. Will definitely try it soon.

18. Nippero

Nippero Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just ordered my T410 this week, decided to go for it before the 10% coupon expired. Not sure if that was a good idea, since it seems some users in this thread have gotten better deals in the past.

Anyway, heres my setup:
    Intel Core i5-540M Processor (2.53GHz, 3MB L3, 1066MHz FSB)
    Genuine Windows 7 Professional 6412
    14.1 WXGA+ TFT, w/ LED Backlight (WWAN antenna)
    NVIDIA NVS 3100m Graphics 256MB DDR3 with AMT
    2 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (1 DIMM)
    UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Fingerprint Reader
    Camera 2.0MP
    320 GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
    DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim (Serial ATA)
    9 cell 2.8Ah Li-Ion Battery - Dual Mode
    Bluetooth w/ antenna
    Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (3x3 AGN)

Decided to skimp out on the stuff that I can easily upgrade later and dont really require at the moment (HDD and RAM).

Ended up paying $1124.10 + $99.76 tax for a total of $1,223.86.

Should ship 4/8.

What do you guys think?

Oh and what does the "dual mode" part of "9 cell 2.8Ah Li-Ion Battery - Dual Mode" mean?

19. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Nice setup and good price! Good Luck on getting the system before the EDD ;)

20. Zoombag

Zoombag Newbie

Reputations:
    I've had my 410 for about a month now, and have the discrete graphics card. For battery life, I'm getting about 5 hours (9-cell battery) during normal work. When playing a demanding game, it drops to about 3 hours. I do not find the fan noise to be objectionable at all, but I'm also 50 and have been hanging around jet engines for many years :)