1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Lenovo Thinkpad T410 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by TinyRK, Jan 26, 2010.

1. wilse

wilse Notebook Evangelist

it means that lenovo does not currently and does not have plans to support switchable graphics on anything other than the t410s at the current time

2. BLM

BLM Notebook Enthusiast

Ok, that su**.

Anyway, what battery life do you get with discrete graphics, 9-Cell while surfing?

3. Jamthunder

Jamthunder Newbie

I just received my T410 (i7-620M + Intel GMA) this morning. After running Windows and Lenovo software updates and the installation of my anti-virus software (Symantec Endpoint Protection), the virus scan detected 2 heuristic risks classified as Packed.Generic.271 (http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2009-113011-1821-99).

Those 2 files are
    c:\windows\syswow64\encdec.dll
    and
    c:\windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-tvencdec_...........\encdec.dll

I am wondering if anybody knows what are those encdec.dll files for?

Thanks!

4. thinkpad knows best

thinkpad knows best Notebook Deity

Well i know that "encdec.dll" is from DirectShow, and it's used as a encrypter/decrypter filter, it is heuristic so it may just be tied to what Symantec thinks will exploit a buffer overflow in your RAM, heuristic threats are less to worry about since the scanner is calling it a threat based on experience, and occurences in which a real threat stems from that file/document/datum, like when a scanner program calls a game crack .exe out as a threat, simply because it bypasses a regulated check for genuinity, if that's a word.

5. Jamthunder

Jamthunder Newbie

Thanks! I will restore those files then.

6. Beh0lder

Beh0lder Notebook Guru

Could someone please let us know if the fan is audible when just browsing or working with MS office for example ?
    Or is it always on, even when idle ? That high pitched noise is that terrible ?
    And compared to the T400, is it more noisy ?
    Thanks

7. cn_habs

cn_habs Notebook Deity

Do a clean install instead.

8. thuduc

thuduc Newbie

Got my w510 a couple weeks ago with the FHD screen, loving it except for a few times (about 4 times so far) that it blued screen of death on me (still trying to figure out why with tech support). I have a 2nd hard drive using the ultrabay adaptor (from Lenovo). But everytime the system wakes up from sleep, I get this message:

Problem Ejecting SSDSA2SH032G1 INTEL
    This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try again.

Very weird. Anyone experiencing the same issue? I don't think this ultrabay adaptor was made for this machine because it's not a perfect fit.

Sorry I posted in the wrong thread. My apologies.

9. dropro

dropro Notebook Geek

It's a Symantec error. Their website says that if you update your virus definitions the issue should be fixed.

10. phuoc

phuoc Notebook Enthusiast

is the clean install worth it? because i read some posts that i might lose "the windows 7 thinkpad experience" which helps to boot faster. so i am not sure atm. also if i understood it correctly, the hidden partition has all the drivers, so if i format the main partition, i can install all drivers later from that hidden partition?

11. ibear

ibear Notebook Enthusiast

The hidden partition is for system recovery. All the drivers are in C:\SWTools.

12. cwarner

cwarner Notebook Enthusiast

Finally got around to setting up my T410. So far I'm loving it.. coming from a Macbook Pro, this machine seems very well built, easy to use.. the keyboard lives up to the hype!

The only problem I've encountered so far is the colour red on my WXGA+ screen looks a little... toxic. Is there anything I can do about this? Are there any preconfigured colour profiles for T410 screens?

That said, if anyone has any questions about this machine (i5-520/ intel graphics/ HDD) relative to the Macbook Pros, I'd be happy to give my impressions.

13. antsiou

antsiou Notebook Geek

Hi Cwarner, I'd love to hear about the screen quality and how it compare to the macbook pro, I assume it's not as good, but to how do you feel about it?
    And also if you'd have any picture like side by side, that'll be a treat.
    In any case, well done for your purchase.

14. cn_habs

cn_habs Notebook Deity

I think that's just a marketing strategy. Even then, the hardware would be the same minus unnecessary and trial software. The hidden partition is useless if you have your own Windows 7 key. Get a 7 DVD from a friend and you are good to go. Search for the Vista Clean Install thread here.

15. Convoluted

Convoluted Notebook Evangelist

I went to take a look at the T410 locally and I must say I was very dissapointed with the screen. It could be a fault with the display model, I'm not sure. The screen had a murky look, colors were washed out and the max brightness could be described as weak at best. Now if only Lenovo were to use the same calibre screens as MBP's, then they'd have a solid product. I'm gladly pay an extra $300 for a really nice screen.

16. jli17

jli17 Newbie

I have a kind of dumb question. How do I get rid of the "lenovo recovery" partition of the hard drive. I already clean installed windows 7 and I have my own keys, so I assume it's useless.

I want those 10 gigs of space ;O

17. sblb

sblb Notebook Guru

I don't really have too much experience with screens, but the screen on my T410 is really nice. I'm not doing any photo editing or anything but for watching movies, or just doing regular work, the screen is just great.

I had an HP dv4000 before my T410 and in my opinion, the T410 screen is much nicer, especially since it is a matte screen.

18. cwarner

cwarner Notebook Enthusiast

It's not as good as the MBP screen, as you guessed. That may partly be because the MBP has a glossy screen, which makes it look a little cleaner (I still prefer matte, myself), but the difference in colour quality is quite apparent. As I mentioned, reds seem to be particularly bad. This is coming from someone who normally wouldn't be able to judge a 'good' display just by looking at it by itself.

That said, I don't think I'll have any problems with it. It's not good, but it's definitely not something that's been jumping out at me as I've been using it for the past couple of days.

I'll see about getting some pictures up in a day or two.

19. jfd3220

jfd3220 Newbie

I've had my T410 for 1 week. I left it plugged in overnight, but off, and when I opened it up today I found that the left speaker had melted. It melted the plastic mesh that covers it. Time for my first test of the Lenovo warranty. I don't really want to spend a month without this machine. [​IMG]

20. Newbie64

Newbie64 Newbie

Heat/Fan Noise: Is this a common problem??

I want to finally pull the trigger and purchase a T410. Unfortunately, I'm noticing several recent threads complaining about it's loud fan running constantly, even under mild use. Is this a common experience? If so, is it really that loud?

This is the only thing holding me back, so please advise!! Thanks in advance!