Lenovo ThinkPad T14 & T14s Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Ramzay, Aug 2, 2020.

1. FusionR86

FusionR86 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I do have one small problem with my T14 though. Whenever a sound is played for the first time I hear a small crackling/plop noise (similar to when you plug your headphones in). After that it doesn't happen again until the speakers are quiet for about a minute. Weird.
    So when the speakers have been quiet for a minute and a sound starts playing there is a small crackling noise, and all is fine after that.
    I've tried updating/resetting the realtek driver, but that doesn't solve the problem. I also haven't tested this on Linux. Does this problem sound familiar to anyone?

E: Alright so after clicking random buttons in device manager the problem seems to be resolved. I'm now on driver version 10.0.19041.264 and date 09/05/2020. This isn't the latest version, but it seems to work better for me.

E2: When playing League of Legends ARAM on highest settings 1440p I get about 45 FPS in the 5v5 fights, and 70 in spawn (when nothing happens). For normal gameplay you'd probably want to drop the settings to get a better framerate, but for science I used the highest settings. This is with the AC plugged in and on an external monitor (hence the 1440p). CPU temp (ctl/die) is usually 80°C but jumps 90°C for about ten seconds every minute, not sure why. This is with one single channel 16GB RAM stick.

E3: I didn't change anything hardware wise, so it's still on stock thermal paste.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  2. Scollurio

Scollurio Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Again thank you for your investigation. About that crackling noise thing. I had it with my Ideapad, exactly the same thing and also fixed it the same way you did - by fiddling around. Eventually it went away.
    Your experience with League of Legends sounds reasonable to me. I was hitting thermal limit of 105°C very often, very quickly. Again, this is not a gaming machine, still the temps should behave. Also I've seen a youtube video about the memory. Single channel really hurts the performance of Ryzen CPUs and the best thing to do is going symmetric, meaning going for a 16 GB RAM stick in that slot. Even if you'd put more in there, just by not being the same amount as the soldered RAM, you lose on performance. Not much though, but still.

After reading plenty of forums and threads it really seems to be a wider spread problem. The machine either runs perfectly fine, or like a hot mess. I'm discussing with people on notebookcheck.com and it seems like the reviewers themselves have a T14 with R5 and said (in comments) it's also very hot but the T14s with R7 is perfectly fine. Seems like a proper lottery.

R7 machines are sold out where I live anyways, so I might just wait until they are in stock again and then try my luck at the draw again.

Another question to the more tech savy people in here: Do you think it's possible, with reasonable effort, to switch the T14 trackpad out for he T14s one?

3. huntnyc

huntnyc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Another T14s review. His unit's cooling seems OK.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

4. Scollurio

Scollurio Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for posting this, I just saw it. Yes, his max temperature during load and benchmarking is about 78°C. That's what I got when opening the mail app... :(

5. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well... Just as Josh pointed out...
    That single fan in T14s system, can be a culprit in poor heat management.
    However, he did also pointed out, INTEL system is not cool either.

Starlight5 likes this.
  6. huntnyc

Reputations:
    Lon's review comparing Intel and AMD versions of T14s.

7. huntnyc

Reputations:
    Not a gamer but some games on T14 Ryzen 5 4650.

8. vane505

vane505 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know if it's possible to replace the trackpad on a T14 with an X1 one (glass trackpad)? I've read that it's possible on a lot of the earlier T-models.

Starlight5 likes this.
  9. Scollurio

Scollurio Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That Mash IT dude with the gaming benchmark also has an indepth R5 T14 review up. Very interesting, low temps and extremely high scores in Geekbench (5500ish) and Cinebench 20 (2500ish) which isn't TOO far off the R7 version. Tempting.

huntnyc likes this.
  10. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    LON's reviewed units, i5-10310u vs Ryzen 7 4750u
    kinda.........