Lenovo ThinkPad T14 & T14s Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Ramzay, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yep... A pity... Expansion on the RAM of the IdeaPad 5 is totally not possible...
    https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/IdeaPad/IdeaPad_5_15ARE05
    ...but at least, it's given a higher clockrate memory dies. We'll probably have to wait for the announcement on the availability of ThinkBook with AMD...
    [​IMG]
    ...to see if the "IdeaPad based design" that brought over to the Think-Range will have expansion slots for RAM...Something like L14/15 internals in IdeaPad 5 chassis, badged with THINKBOOK.

Me too... was eyeing for ALL RED system like the MSI Bravo17 or DELL G5SE which packs the RED TEAM graphics. But unfortunately, not all markets around the world will get that. In Singapore, MSI only brought in the Bravo15 with very miserable configuration of battery size, storage, and sells @ EXTORBITANT PRICE!

2. Scollurio

Scollurio Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just played 10 Minutes of League of Legends on High on my T14s, 125 fps, 105 C. While this is no typical workload it's still ridiculous. When using the ThinkPad closed I'm afraid of actually melting my screen or something...

EDIT:
    Also tried a round of LoL on my Ideapad 530s with Kabylake i5 Quadcore, did Turbo all the time, no throttling, max temp 76°C.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  3. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i5-8250? According to what i searched the maximum frequency tops @ 3.4ghz? What's the turbo boost frequency?
    Had u tried disabling the performance boost R7-4750u in ur new T14 thru RegEdit? Perhaps that may not "overwork" the CPU.

4. Ramzay

Ramzay Notebook Connoisseur

Reputations:
    It's open to all T14 & T14s comments/owners. But as was mentioned, given how much better the Ryzen CPUs are, there isn't much incentive to get an Intel-based model unless you really need that Thunderbolt 3.

Honestly this is my current takeaway after playing around with both a Dell Inspiron 5505 (Ryzen 4700U) and the ThinkPad T14 - the difference in performance & quality doesn't justify the massive price premium of the T14. The cooling solution on the 5505 isn't any better than that on the T14s, but it also costs half as much, so...

5. Ramzay

Reputations:
    HP ProBook G7 series (445 & 455) appear to be just that based on reviews - cool running and decently built.

EDIT: Review here.

huntnyc likes this.
  6. Ramzay

Reputations:
    I'll try and play a bit of LoL on the T14, see what happens.

7. Ramzay

Reputations:
    It seems Lenovo is costing themselves sales by not offering more options. I want 16GB of RAM with no touchscreen, but the only option available to me is 8GB with touchscreen. A shame, as I would've immediately purchased the 16GB machine if it had been an option.

The screens on the AMD version of the Legion are a little lacklustre I admit - tops out at a 60Hz/300 nits display, not sure how colour-accurate it is. Other than that, looks like an incredible machine for the price, and most reviews say that while all-plastic, it is powerful and well-built, as well as relatively cool & quiet.

I had received the "old" (prior) model of the XPS 15 with the i5-9300H without a dGPU (so two fans/heatpipes cooling an under-volted i5-9300H). It hit 100C while running Cinebench 15...returned.

I had ordered the new XPS 17 (my dream machine, I really need more screen space), but not being able to undervolt an Intel CPU is just silly, plus once I read more reviews about the Ryzen chips, I really want to give my money to AMD to encourage more competition and discourage all this questionable behaviour towards AMD (aka most AMD machines having sub-par options compared to Intel).

That's how it should be - only put components in your laptops if the machine can fully and easily utilize/cool them, rather than having a machine that can barely hold itself together under load. Hence why machines like the ASUS G14 and Legion laptops keep getting mentioned - based on reviews they apparently can run their components without much issue even under load.

huntnyc likes this.
  8. Scollurio

Scollurio Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That IS the Turbofrequency and for what it is, it's a great processor. No I didn't fiddle with the registry on my T14s, just contacted Lenovo to have it sent back. It's a really expensive machine and most of it's performance is left on the table. I'll think about a T14 with a R5 instead or maybe even get an ideapad with R5. Let's see. Luckily I'm in no hurry.

huntnyc likes this.
  9. Scollurio

Scollurio Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm honestly eyeing the Legion Laptops more and more, would just love to have a TKL version, I hate numpads on Laptops (and everywhere else too I guess).

We all know, there is NO perfect laptop that does everything right, but since my Laptop will spend it's life mostly docked to a workstation-setup on my desk, I definitely don't want to skimp on performance.

The moment there's an AMD-only Legion Laptop I'm really tempted, could even live with the Numpad. I just checked Lenovos site, here there's a 120Hz panel available. 72% NTSC color, not great but not shabby either. Doing color-critical work, one should probably work on a proper monitor anyways.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  10. Ramzay

Reputations:
    See I'm the opposite - I really want a numpad on the laptop, otherwise I have to carry around an external numpad (I do a lot of spreadsheets...). But yes, would be nice if they offered more customization options in regards to keyboards. Also for me, performance isn't that big of a deal. My upstairs office has a Thinkcentre miniPC with a i5-6500T, 16GB DDR4 RAM and a 128GB SSD - and it works just fine for what I need. And I bought it for $400 CAD used/refurbished, an awesome deal for me.