Lenovo ThinkPad T14 & T14s Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Ramzay, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Boj27

Boj27 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hey mate, I’m here in the UK wanting to buy either a t14 or t14s. The only thing putting me off the t14 over the s model is the plastic housing compared to the magnesium composite - can you comment on how the two compare to each other? Also the battery is 15% or so smaller in the t14 compared to the S...wondering if it’s worth having the s for the larger battery and battery materials?

atm I can’t get a 4750u in the s model and only 32gb of ram - apparently 32gb and 4750u will be back in stock at the end of the month - for Black Friday no less which is ideal. Just a struggling to decide between the two!

2. SpotBurner

SpotBurner Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Early on in this thread someone was having problems with their WLAN 6 acting wonky and he wondered if this was a "known issue" with the T14/14s. Is it? Or was that just a one-off experience.

3. SpotBurner

Reputations:
    More questions. I see in the "Tech Specs" page on the Lenovo website that there are two M.2 slots, one 2242 PCIE 3.0 x 2. Is this occupied with the boot drive? Then there's a 2280 PCIE 3.0 x 4. Is this the storage drive where I can pop my own 1 TB PCIE drive in there?

I'm used to dealing with my desktops where I can put in an M.2 SSD (PCIE or not) and also 2.5" SSDs as needed. It doesn't seem as if adding a 2.5" SSD to the T14 is an option, it's a PCIE in the only M.2 slot available for storage and that's it, correct?

As far as a monitor choice, I've settled on the 400 nits option. Anyone want to talk me out of that choice? It's more money upfront but would seem to be the prudent choice.

And it looks like Lenovo now has a T14s Gen 2 but the T14 remains at Gen 1. I'm only interested in the T14, is there a Gen 2 on the horizon? Thanks.

4. artic_squirrel

artic_squirrel Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    is it possible to undervolt the 4750u ryzen ? like the equivalent of throttlestop to amd ?

5. SpotBurner

Reputations:
    OK, answering one of my own questions here. I popped the back off my new T14 AMD and put in a 16 GB stick of ram in the DIMM slot. So far so good. Now on to the 1 TB storage NVME M.2. But no, there is no 2280 M.2 slot for what I call storage. Lenovo calls the boot drive a storage drive. There's a spare 2242 WLAN slot which I knew about but somehow I was thinking that was where the boot drive would be installed, leaving a 2280 M.2 slot for "storage". But no, I couldn't have been more wrong.

Which seems a ridiculous way to set things up in this notebook, I would think there would be a second 2280 for true storage but I have only my own self to blame, not knowing that going in. Guess it's all external storage via the USB C port. I may clone the existing "storage" drive over to the 1 TB M.2 NVME I was going to install but I have my reasons why I don't want to use the "boot" drive as a "storage" drive. YMMV

6. Boj27

Boj27 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys. just received my t14s. wanting to install a glass trackpad in it....i ordered a lenovo x1 yoga 3rd gen trackpad which physically fits, but it does not work. I tried all the drivers from the x1 carbon and x1 yoga series from 1 through 8 and 1 through 5 to no avail....part number was 01lv554 (/555/556). noticed the new trackpad PCB is blue instead of green like on my existing pad....has anyone had any luck doing this? surely it is possible....

when i installed it, in device manager it was showing as function but it just doesn't work :(

I have noticed that the buttons on the trackpad the t14s dont come out, so im wondering if because of the mismatch, that it just wont work? hoping not....it feels soooooooo much better than my old one!