Lenovo ThinkPad T14 & T14s Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Ramzay, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Starlight5

Starlight5 Yes, I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
    @FusionR86 @Mithrand @Scollurio pardon my insolence, but why not use a combination of Prime95 + Furmark (from MSI Kombustor) to stress CPU, GPU & RAM simultaneously?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  2. havanaclub7

havanaclub7 Newbie

Reputations:
    Did anyone has any comment on video editing with the thinkpad T14 gen 1 with the NVIDIA GeForce MX330 ?

3. Starlight5

Reputations:
    There's a new E14 G2 with Intel Tiger Lake CPUs, USB4, optional Nvidia MX450 and better displays with touchscreen option around the corner. Might be an acceptable alternative for those who want Tiger Lake here and now, instead of waiting for next T,X series update cycle next year.

The slides look weird so far though, listing UHD graphics while i5 & i7 Tiger Lakes are supposed to come with Xe, and RAM information is not detailed.

4. Spockz

Spockz Newbie

Reputations:
    I’m currently trying to decide between a T14, T14s, X13, and the S540 13 inch. The build qualities and thermal properties of the T and X series appears to be way better than that of the S series. However in reviews the S540 gets abysmal scores on the performance while on battery, keyboard and webcam. The biggest advantage why I’m considering it is the higher resolution screen.

What are the odds that we will see higher resolution on the T series for amd? I plan on using the laptop for about 10 years. My current MacBook Pro is from early 2011.

5. Starlight5

Reputations:
    @Spockz there's no technical reason for lower resolution displays on AMD Thinkpads. It looks as if Lenovo gimps AMD models on purpose, so that sister model Intel Thinkpads look better in comparison. Thus, it's impossible to tell whether Lenovo will finally start including high-res displays next update cycle or not. Only time will tell.

Given that you plan to use your laptop for many years to come, I'd definitely wait for next update cycle before pulling the trigger. Or you may follow my example, and get a much cheaper E-series as a placeholder for a year or two until either Lenovo adds high-res display options for AMD Thinkpads, or Intel gets their **** together and starts producing worthy CPUs.

6. ZeBookofNote

ZeBookofNote Newbie

Reputations:
    Hoping for some input on these questions:
    1) What's the best OLED display you can put in a T14/T14s - has anyone tried installing one?
    2) Is there enough motherboard bandwidth to do software raid with mirrored NVMEs?
    3) How to decide on T14 vs T14s - one is more durable & has a bigger battery, the other has more memory and is easier to fix, potentially. Kind of annoying they make us compromise.

7. Starlight5

Reputations:
    @ZeBookofNote main SSD slot is 2280 NVME with 4x pcie lanes, secondary SSD / WWAN slot is 2242 NVME with 2x pcie lanes. I would advise using some sort of scheduled backup inatead of software RAID even without those limitations...

8. ZeBookofNote

ZeBookofNote Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, I'll be using remote backups as well. But I still don't know if the CPU / motherboard can handle it.

9. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Personally, i find it odd that Lenovo puts a dGPU together with a CPU which the maker "claims" in their initial launch that they hv improved the iGPU performance that could beat what dGPU maker had achieved so far with their latest power saving model...
    Then Josh's reviews shows those "little" disappointments...
    ...i began to understand why... ...

Starlight5 likes this.
  10. Starlight5

Reputations:
    @Ed. Yang still, I'm looking forward to E14G2 Intel review before pulling the trigger on AMD version, for peace of mind...