Lenovo ThinkPad R61 User Review

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by tkkg, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawk7886

Hawk7886 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You're posting in a forum dedicated to laptop enthusiasts so it's only natural that you get the most demanding consumers around.

Like most things in life, you're only going to hear from the people that have an issue, since most people won't complain if they get a good product. If it's worrying you that badly, there's nothing wrong with choosing another manufacturer. :)

2. THAANSA3

THAANSA3 Exit Stage Left

Reputations:
    Thanks. I know and agree with the point that most of the things I'm going to hear are probably going to be bad since people are demanding a great product, but its still a bit disconcerting. Also, the shipping and customer service horror stories are not so much an enthusiast issue. Casual users can also find plenty of fault with the two, and I think that some of the reports have got to be from them as well.This is not the only forum that I've found complaints on either.

After months of research, I guess I've just been looking for some peace-of-mind that's hard to come by in the online community.

3. dimsumsun

dimsumsun Newbie

Reputations:
    Queensland(Brisbane)

Build and Design
    I purchased 2 of these, one from milton(umart) and one from 8 miles planes(umart) since milton only had one for me. The design is traditional, rough black plastic with silver metal hinges. May sound boring but feels great. The keyboard, track point, and touch pad have a great feel, capable of taking some punishment. The speakers are up firing on both sides of the keyboard, nothing special.

The quality was rock solid on 1 of the laptops but disappointing on the other. The quality control of IBM isn't as good as I expected it to be. A couple of things, the palm rest makes a small irritating click noise every time your palm comes on and off, the 2 piece's of plastic shell that hold the LCD together don't sit flush and have LCD and led light spill when looking on the side in the dark. and just recently I have noticed the left hand side of the lcd shell is not really joined together, whether it's clicked together or glued together you can run your nail along it separate the 2 pieces of shell quite easily. The lcd shell the lcd screen have a larger than normal gap between them, there is a high chance when wiping or cleaning you are actually pushing more dust into the system than removing dust from the lcd. Lastly the back of the screen has more flex than other manufacturer lcds, the out side of the screen is very strong since it's reinforced by the hard plastic shell but any section away from the edges is not as good. I did expect a bit more design thought here, but from every day handling i don't mind it.

to compensate for the lcd gap I usually use a make up brush to remove as much lcd dust as possible and trying not to push it into the lcd. And to fix the palm rest click I have posted it on a previous thread in this discussion. So there are allot of issues with my particular R61 but I’m not unhappy, I can over look the lcd shell and don't mind the light spill and gaps of the lcd since you don't really look at it all the time, how ever i was only happy after I had fixed the palm rest clicking noise.

Benchmark
    PCmark05 3300 ish, I forgot the exact figure, for model number 8932A19 no changes in hard ware

My conclusion is I love my IBM r61 and do recommend it, only if you are reviewing you would notice these things.

Favorite things about the IBM
    Side and rear exhaust so you can use it on your lap safely for short times

Dislikes
    the Fn and Ctrl key are around the wrong way
    the arrow keys could be larger

4. THAANSA3

THAANSA3 Exit Stage Left

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, this is on par with all of the others who have complained about the same thing. This is sorta the point I was trying to make when I posted that too many people seem to be complaining about the Lenovo laptops. Its a bit frustrating to someone who is trying to make an informed decision and, more importantly, a decision that he is hoping will be a good decision that lasts him a while.

5. stebesplace

stebesplace Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    All, I tried this method with the tape. I used some Scotch(3M) Photo & Document Tape, model 2002 I think. This worked like a charm! I just put the double sided tape like the diagram above. I used about 2" worth, but you really only need about an inch or so. Just place the tape on the inside of the palmrest area to cover the right palm rest, or left if needed, and have it cover that one little notch where the palmrest connects just to the right of the trackpad base. If anyone needs pics, I can post them up, but believe me, this worked.

6. la_monda

la_monda Newbie

Reputations:
    Please post some photos of how-to fix the touchpad clicking issue.
    Anyone figured out the high pitch noise?? Ubuntu are more succeptible than windows in this issue...Other than that 2, Great laptop for 550 euros.
    T8100, 250g disk, 2g ram, 15,4", Nvidia quatro

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.