Lenovo Thinkpad -> Panasonic Toughbook

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by SJLPHI, Jun 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SJLPHI

SJLPHI Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think it's impressive that a laptop has fuses!

Also, I wonder if some toughbook suppliers would want to buy a badly damaged toughbook as a showcase to show off that "this thing has been ran over by a bulldozer, and it still works" in a display case

2. CWB32

CWB32 Need parts for my flying saucer.

Reputations:
    laptops have fuses ... many use a "polyfuse" .
    these are self-resetting types ... not a mechanical circuit breaker but actually a polymorphous conductor , this makes it a "solid state" device .

most of the toughbooks and ruggedbooks use "one-shot link fuses" .
    the thinking is that if a fuse pops , there is a reason for it and it will not self correct .

3. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Yeah... I distinctly remember being 5 or 6 and plugging one of my mom's bobby pins into the wall socket. No blown fuse... Just a blown Rick... It knocked me across the room. It was that day I discovered electricity!

4. Toughbook

Reputations:
    After my CF-28 fiasco... I started harvesting fuses off of the MBs... IIRC... They are white little blocks most times. I remember on the CF-28... I didn't have a spare fuse so I crafted my own with an old Buss fuse of the same specs. There was plenty of room to fit it and it worked well.

5. CWB32

Reputations:
    yeppers ...
    there was a cold air return register in the floor below an outlet .
    the story goes that i was still in diapers and would sit on that register and poke things in the outlet .
    my mom and sister would hear me making "strange sounds" and come running ...
    one would have a broom and knock me away/off of the outlet and register .
    they finally started keeping a broom near the outlet (talk about your *repeat offenders*) .
    the proof of this was made by my dad ...
    in the 50s up to the mid 60s 8mm movies were the rage .
    if you were shooting indoors , you needed a very bright light source .
    my dad used a 4 200W lamp bar ... those lamps were only good for about 2 hours at the most .
    yessir ... there is a movie of me sitting there and shoving something into the outlet and then bouncing around and pulling my hand back ...
    a few seconds later , i did it again !
    now ... remember my dad had to have set up the equipment ahead of time and as he could not be there all the time to catch me in the act ...
    he had to have prompted me !

6. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Now THAT made me laugh. Those were "The good old days"... I can picture you and your dad doing that.

These days... It would be posted on YouTube and he'd be arrested and you would be placed on Adderall and institutionalized! I'll bet you are also a closet pyro like me! Ha!

I remember the old 8mm days... Though now I am more into 9mm. ;)

7. CWB32

Reputations:
    yep ... 9mm ... used to do 105mm and 155mm .
    i was into chemistry by the time i was 10 ... of course a smattering of physics along the way .
    i recall a poster of the then known quarks (and some theorized) on a wall when i was 12 ... i have no idea why i remember that ... could i be remembering it wrong ?
    there were only a few , this would have been in '68 or thereabout .
    i leaned toward electrical , electronics and mechanical .
    heh ... helped a childhood friend build a dye laser completely from the ground up (i was 15-16) ... including building/winding the power transformer by hand ; about 150 pounds worth of copper and iron .
    it used rhodamine 6G with everclear as the solvent and the lase tube was about 14" X 2" thick walled quartz glass .
    it was built to be pulsed at about 60Hz and used a glass tube cooling tower and variable flow pump .
    (never got the "Q" switching style to work ... stuck with fixed mirror compliment)
    it got him to the GE finals in florida that year .

things were different back then ...
    when we set off some of our "experiments" one or two of the city cops would show up to check on our safety measures ...
    part of this was them actually *testing* our devices and mixtures .
    yeah , i sure miss those days .

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  8. Toughbook

Reputations:
    That takes me back... Though you are definitely the "brain" in this conversation. My strong suit is collaboration. Identify the best and brightest... Team with them... We discuss... We do our things then come back and report, chat, debate, etc. I have learned SO MUCH not being the smartest guy in the room! This forum, specifically the Panasonic Forum, has TOP TALENT! I explained to the owner here years ago... The Panasonic Forum is after truth, performance and slick mods that do us all good. We don't discuss religion or politics or who is doing Kim Kardashian this week! (or which "direction" her latest kid is pointing!)

My dad was a Ham Radio Operator.. I remember us building his Heathkit SB-102 and other stuff... Erecting his tower on the side of the house and every year at Field Day! Somewhere around here I have a 4" tall trophy for being the winning rabbit on the 2M rabbit hunt we'd go to on weekends. That was a blast and I wish I could live it all over again!

Shawn likes this.
  9. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    @Toughbook ....Rick it sure is nice to see you back to you old self :D:D

10. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Thanks Blair! :cool:

toughasnails likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.