Lenovo Thinkpad -> Panasonic Toughbook

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by SJLPHI, Jun 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SJLPHI

SJLPHI Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Haha, according to someone's point of view, Thinkpads are pure anti-macs:
    https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=ThinkPad
    First paragraph kills me!

You know... almost EVERYONE I've met at CERN, including supervisors and colleagues do use and own a macbook, and one supervisor even offered me a macbook that he longer uses. I insist that I won't go macbook, because I like modular hardware and software.

2. CWB32

CWB32 Need parts for my flying saucer.

Reputations:
    yeah ...
    you might tell them that apple products and macs have a tendency to remove testosterone through the fingertips or eyeballs .
    heh ... the stuff is expensive and if it aint on the list , it aint gonna work .

heh heh heh ... "4chan" .

3. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Well Mac's approach reliability from a different angle.
    Lock everything down so modding and adapting hardware or software is almost impossible. That reduces the chances of an owner mucking it up.
    I would like to see a Mac Fully Rugged laptop. It sure would be interesting.

Thanks for that link..That was fun to read.

4. SJLPHI

Reputations:
  5. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    As far as thermal paste goes...I am not a fan (unintentional play on words but I like it) in regards to Toughbook.
    A bunch of engineers in Japan opted for thermal pads for Toughbooks. So I buy the best ones I can find.

There was a write-up from England about six/eight years ago discussing where paste added to pads detracted from cooling performance. I've looked several times since then but it's lost in electronic wonderland.

Prove me wrong you lurkers out there, I'll still use thermal pads. :)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A subject you might explore is "chainloading" your OS's. I've read a little but it required too much thinking at the time. Subject was getting Linux to see a DOS dual boot.

Another possibility is running Linux with Windows VM. (Is that right???the virtual thingy)

Just throwing ideas out there.

Jeff

6. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    Thank you Jeff, but I cannot do VM for sure. It was well-explored for a year or so before hard dual-boot. I do need a full Linux and a full Windows(I tried W7 in VM from Linux, and Linux in VM from W7 machine).

I will do some reading on chainloading OS's

7. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Wow... A lot to read for a day's worth! :)

SJ... You will LOVE your Toughbook. I'll be the first to make the prediction... You might as well start calling it "your first Toughbook" as they are addicting as heck! You WILL buy another... Then another... Then another. You will then start selling other stuff in order to buy more... And more! You are just getting started on the slippery slope! Congratulations... Just lean back and enjoy it!

I find Toughbooks MUCH easier to work on than other laptops. Toughbooks, to me, seem to be made to be able to be taken apart. Most other laptops are a compendium of snap together plastic and are made to be put together... Not really to be serviced. Last I read the Toughbooks had a mean failure rate of 1.7% or something like that... The next best laptop was in the 13% range!

As mentioned... There is a slight learning curve but it is intuitive and easy. The other good thing is that they are VERY forgiving of any potential mistakes. A lot of us here have spent years coming up with out own inventions or modifications. I have made every mistake there is to make while learning these things over the past 10 years. I have never made the magic smoke come out even though I have made some spectacular blunders when I was learning early on. They are hard to kill... They are built that way.

One suggestion... Get on eBay or Amazon and buy a good Wiha brand screwdriver set. You will mainly be interested in the Phillips head... But I would get a slotted & Phillips set. This is the set I bought... Though I have many others...

https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-26199-S...98268561&sr=8-2&keywords=wiha+screwdriver+set

I keep them in my kitchen drawer as I use them so often... Not just on Toughbooks but EVERYTHING! They are precision and work well!

Have fun!

toughasnails likes this.
  8. CWB32

Reputations:
    "There is a slight learning curve but it is intuitive and easy"
    certainly easier than the learning curve associated with women .
    (and i am betting that it is an open curve , not closed)
    :D:eek:

there is one major bugaboo with the toughbooks ... one of the reasons you don't have to play this :

there are plenty of sub-circuit fuses for protection .
    these fuses are scattered and not always easily accessible unless one removes more *stuff* .
    and they are tiny !

9. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Yeah... But seriously... How many times have you ever burned out a fuse by fooling around and/or doing something wrong? I remember burning out an LCD screen fuse on a CF-28 one time... But it was an easy fix.

A short story... Last year I had an old customer email me asking if I could build him another CF-30. He owns an excavation business and bought 4-5 Toughbooks from me. He said that the laptop works fine... But only in the port replicator. He said he needed to be able to bring it back out in the field. This made no sense to me at the time but then the story unfolded. One of the guys had left the Toughbook on his truck bed and drove off. The Toughbook fell off the back of the truck and was then run over by a bulldozer. This crushed the LCD lid and screen... He had pictures of the keyboard being shattered after it left its imprint on the LCD. The case was cracked... But hey... It STILL worked! I was amazed the motherboard was intact. I just checked my old emails trying to find the pictures but I couldn't... If someone were to have asked... I would have guaranteed it was beyond hope. But he had been using the crushed laptop in his office for months in the replicator.

I shipped him out an identical barebones unit and he was able to transfer the hard drive, battery and DVD over to the new one.

These are amazing toys/tools... Just one reason I use mine to store the nuclear codes! ;)

10. CWB32

Reputations:
    "How many times have you ever burned out a fuse by fooling around and/or doing something wrong"
    on a toughbook , i have popped 2 fuses and have swapped out 7 fuses popped by *others* .
    some were easy to get to , others were a PITA ... especially those located on the side of the MB facing the keyboard .
    complete removal of the MB is almost always needed in the latter case .

with my mom , when i was a kid , it wasn't always a fuse she would pop ...
    most times she would blow a gasket !
    :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.