Lenovo Thinkpad -> Panasonic Toughbook

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by SJLPHI, Jun 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Cooling is possible because of a well thought out design.
    A design that uses the entire magnesium case as a heat sink.
    A design that runs the SATA slower to reduce power consumption and heat.
    For me, the backlit keyboard is easier to use on the CF19. Maybe it's the gap between the keys.
    Most CF 19's have 2 ram slots. Any model with a camera has only one slot.

Side note.
    I still want to see a quad boot drive. Separate partitions and no virtual drives. Grub is fine. Winner gets a slightly used Intel 5100 wifi card. Preferably the drive is set up for a CF 31.
    Win7
    Linux
    MS-DOS
    OSX

Watch this official video

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  2. SJLPHI

SJLPHI Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Shawn, that video, and videos alike, and fail rate statistics of Toughbooks is why I want to use it as a super back-up, as I know it will work when I need it.

Are the keyboards on CF19 as easily installed as say, Lenovos?

3. Shawn

Reputations:
    PM me an email address.

4. Shawn

Reputations:
    I don't know how easy Lenovos are.
    CF 19 keyboard swap will take removing 7 screws. Loosen the double face tape securing the keyboard. And a bunch of money to afford the backlit keyboard. You need to make sure you insert the power cable properly.

Only laptop other than a Toughbook that I own is a 2 old Macbooks. I got them to experiment with putting OSX on a Toughbook.
    Ironically, Now 1 has OSX on it and the other has Win 7 on it.
    It's much easier to put Win on a Mac than to put OSX on a PC.
    I like OSX so much better than Win but Toughbooks easily win out.
    Zorin 12 is a fair substitute for OSX.

5. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    Lenovo, you take 2 screws to access RAM and mSATA/WWAN port, take 2 screws off with keyboard diagrams, then pry the keyboard and disconnect it. 1 minute at most, with the right tools.

I'm not even sure where to begin to look for MS-DOS. Wow... I remember making my first computer games on it. Back when I couldn't use the phone when someone was on the internet. Good times.

6. CWB32

CWB32 Need parts for my flying saucer.

Reputations:
    "How is that possible with i5 core with hd4000 inside an enclosure without a fan?!"
    have you ever heard of "black voodoo" ?
    :p:D

the bottom of the case is the "other side" of the heatsink .
    plenty of surface area for radiation ... and thermal mass .
    the trick with these is to place them on a hard surface so that there is some convective air flow/cooling .
    there is also some throttling back to provide thermal headroom .

if re-gooping the interface dropped the temperature that much , that must have been some lousy paste or there is/was a mechanical problem with the interface contact/stability/integrity .
    check that aspect closely .

if the higgs model predicts two more flavors ... i wonder what effect they have on varying the field or would they each interact with a given *family* of particles ?
    also ... if one goes with the (as it were) traditional field theories , how would they exist simultaneously ... perhaps just slightly out of *phase* (for lack of better terms) with each other and thus , would not really react with each other .
    perhaps all three interacting produce the field/effect as we observe it ... and by themselves or as a pair , the result is nothing .
    there is plenty to speculate upon .

7. Shawn

Reputations:
    :D:D:D:D
    The quad boot is a more difficult challenge than it seems. Especially to get OSX fully running on a Toughbook. I have spent many hours working at it.
    It probably would not be impossible to do quad boot on a Mac. Not sure if MS-DOS would run. No BIOS might be a problem.

Forget everything you know about working on laptops.
    QUIT COMPARING to the other brand. I am not angry, but comparing is pointless. Don't worry, we will talk you through it.
    Toughbooks are built to be rugged and waterproof.
    Thinkpads are not rugged or waterproof.
    Toughbooks are not easy to work on. (at first anyhow). There is a learning curve.
    You do not get Panasonics reliability ratings with something that is "easy to work on"

Forget the Lincolns you are used to working on. This is a Hummer.

8. CWB32

Reputations:
    "QUIT COMPARING to the other brand"
    insert girl dating analogy here ---> X

Shawn likes this.
  9. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    In response to CWB32, interesting. So, a cooling pad would still be useful for a toughbook I suppose. Right now, my laptop is doing fine(but it usually crashes over night when I am not looking at the screen consciously). There was a LOT of the silvery thermal paste I removed Today. I am not an expert, but there was more thermal paste than the entire CPU(well i5-3230M is tiny). I put whatever the IT people brought me today. It looked white and there was something to do with "Thermal" in French on it. The core temperature is better than before.

As for Higgs, flavour is not the best word, Generation I suppose. Standard model has 3 generations of quarks
    up charm top, down strange bottom, 3 generations of leptons electron muon tauon, 3 generations of neutrinos to respective leptons. Since we found higgs, and if we wish to confirm the standard model and SUSY, we want to see 3 generations of higgs, and probably 3 generations of undiscovered associated to higgs. At the same time, CP violations have been observed, which is against the standard model, so we may not expect higher generations of higgs.

Shawn, Thank you, and I am certain I will need your help to get set up on the cf19. I am only comparing because I only know thinkpads really.

If all goes well, I may eventually jump up to CF31, and so on as far as I find really good deals. I am a big fan of fully rugged. During my military service, I used toughbooks somewhat extensively with Windows 95/98. I don't remember the models, but they were heavy, very much waterproof and definitely out of my budget.

10. CWB32

Reputations:
    ya know ... using the '19 as your main machine would impress others and make those apple users turn green and puke !
    there is another advantage ... if someone disagrees with you ... it can double as a "viewpoint recalibration" tool .
    :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.