Lenovo Thinkpad -> Panasonic Toughbook

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by SJLPHI, Jun 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SJLPHI

SJLPHI Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Shawn, I apologize for coming off disrespectful. I just wanted to mention to you what exactly the purpose of my CF19 will be. It will be a machine that will be used in fields, and as secondary if something goes wrong with my primary.

I meant the downgrade in terms of performance and office-environment protability, since I am spoiled by the nice keyboard layout for T420(even T430 layout drives me nuts sometimes). Also in retrospect, my new incoming T430 has i7 quad core, with 16gb ram and will have the 2ssd+hdd from my dying HDD.

What I meant by dropping is, dropping the toughbook on the ground, say... hardwood floor at home, or a piece of rock while climbing.

Audio and Mic Jack. I am used to a single microphone-headphone jack, that only has one plug, and I read that at least Mk3 has 2 separate jack.

CWB32, would you run over this:
    because if I can do that, I can make a third partition just for data for sharing files, and it would be 100% what I am looking for.

Also, in terms of RAM, are you saying that the Mk6 that I ordered has 2 slots? If so, I will have 2 of 8gb sticks free after my current T430 is scavenged.

Lastly, about the optical drive that is alarming!
    I cannot boot from a Lenovo USB optical drive?!

Shawn likes this.
  2. CWB32

CWB32 Need parts for my flying saucer.

Reputations:
    yep ... you can partition a big drive and then load the OSes on those partitions (dedicating the third partition to data) .
    on boot , you can either go into bios and change the boot device (partition) or there is a "which device do you want to boot from" (i forget offhand what the key press during boot is for this) ... it is a one-time select per boot .

there are two ram slots on the '19 motherboard ... as per my outline previous , "normal" users will not really benefit from anything over 8 gigs of ram (4 gigs per stick) .
    look at the specs of that processor/buss and also the design of the motherboard ... you may not be able to address over 8 gigs as a design limitation .
    (wasn't there someone here who tried more than 8 gigs on one of these ?)

to be honest , while the lcd is ok ... it was not designed for "critical" and/or "video rendering" use ... this requires a decent monitor that you will just not find in a laptop .
    in otherwords , if i tried to use my '19 to do color correction (etc) on a large photo file (think photoslop) would i trust what i see on the screen ?... no , i would not .
    the dynamic range , color tracking , contrast , gamma and a few other things are just not there ... it was not designed to do this type of work .
    for quick and dirty work ... say taking a photo , cropping out the little kid on the side of the picture that is picking his nose , and then shipping the resultant file to your boss for the editing department to deal with ... yes , it is good enough for that and to see that your exposure is workable and not a complete pile of crap .

i covered the audio jacks in my post ...
    while the audio in the machine itself is mono (only one speaker) , the headphone jack/processing is true stereo ... the mic jack is mono .

external optical drives ...
    there are some drives that do not want to work with the panasonic machines , i believe they have to be set as a "master" .
    also , do not rely on the usb to provide power to run a drive ... use one with it's own power supply .
    i have used a few different types of optical drives with my '19 (and others ... see my signature) .
    one of the best i have found is to use a decent drive that you would normally use in a desktop or *box* along with a sata to usb adapter hooked to it (with it's own power supply) .
    i have used this to load systems on different machines .
    i really cannot justify one of those fancy cd/dvd burners that has a nice case and usb output ... just make sure that the drive can write/read multi-layered disks .
    i have a 25 USD LG optical drive set up almost permanently next to my main windows box ... i get the power to run it from said box .
    you can try your lenovo drive ... it will either work or it won't .

3. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    Thank you CWB32, I may ask more detailed question on partitioning and setting up individual OS on each. I will probably need to have su-partition dedicated to boot for both OS's. I am currently in process of making a deal who is offering a dell 800gb ssd for 200Cdn.

So, are you saying that BIOS can boot from separate partitions, instead of just the drives? I've never experienced that personally, but if that works, the toughbook might as well be a primary laptop for me, but I would always carry a T430 even for emergency backup. I am away at CERN and it's absolutely not fun leaving my reliable T420 at my home in Canada(airlines told me to lose 5kg and T430 had more important data on it).

I should mention that I am a physics student. Video rendering is not the number 1 priority, however Intel 4000 is the absolute minimum I will go, as Intel 3000 on T420 is not up to the task sometimes when I put high resolution pictures on some of the presentation slides.

So CF19 has a speaker of its own? That I did not know.

May I ask you to point me in the right direction in terms of setting different OS's on a single drive without grub by any chance? This will be absolutely useful even for my future laptop projects.

4. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    You are flirting with danger anytime you dual boot anything with Windows......eventually Windows will update and overwrite your boot loader. (that's the simple way of saying it) Yes, children there are ways around it, I said the simple way....(children refers to those jumping up and down yelling "that's not true")
    I have a triple boot right here that requires a separate boot disk......hmmmmm hey there's an idea, if you boot from a usb and the usb assigns the working OS...IOW the bootloader is on the USB........mind drifts off.....

IF I was making another dual boot.....I would:
    1. Load/install/update the Windows product.
    2. Turn off automatic updates....possibly even disable WLAN /WWAN in the windows product.
    3. Load the Linux product and let it write the partitions and the grub menu.
    4. Back-up the completed system to bootable USB.
    5. Save future critical documents to another media....like SDHC.
    6. Relax and enjoy.

Buy another caddy and hdd to be safer.

BTW...Matt at Proton (Chicago) has d-rings and straps.

Shawn likes this.
  5. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    Sheepman, is there a way around it without having the grub menu? Basically if everything is set up well, I want it to boot Linux without any interruptions or countdown, and boot from windows if and only if I interrupt it. I have attempted this while grub menu is alive, but funny thing, it superseded my windows boot, and things didn't work the way I want it to.

6. CWB32

Reputations:
    yeppers ...
    mixing windows and *something else* is like dating sisters that are either twins or a year apart in age ...
    sooner or later , there will be trouble .
    just ask the guy who has been there and done that .
    :p:D

"So, are you saying that BIOS can boot from separate partitions, instead of just the drives?"
    hmmm ...
    as i see it , the bios does not care if you have one drive or a dozen ... you tell the bios which drive to boot from by setting a default or manually select one .

more on the multi partition setup ...
    if you partition the drive into three chunks , label them C/E/F (did you ever notice there is no "D" drive ?)
    and now the tricky/PITA part ... drop in the recovery disk (or if you have masochistic tendencies a W7 professional disk (like i said , i do not care for W10) and tell it to load on the "C" partition , you will not be making a recovery partition .
    once that is done , then load linux on the "E" partition .
    the F partition is self explanatory , however , the formatting of the 'nix partition should be NTSF (or however it is spelled) ... this is to ensure the best compatibility between the two OSes when loading data files onto the the third partition (that is also formatted the same) .
    you don't have to absolutely have to use the windows formatting style ... i have no problems swapping files between the two OSes .
    (@sheepman ... isn't there a format in 'nix that is compatible with NTSF ?)
    when you boot the machine you can push a "Fx" or "del" or whatever the key is to get it to boot into the bios or the "select alternate boot device" .
    it would be easiest to use the "alternate boot device" instead of going all the way into the bios .
    (i do know that on certain machines that the alternate boot device is/can be selected from within the bios ) .
    select the partition/drive letter and away you go .
    by doing it this way , the OSes should not know that the other one exists .
    mind you , this is not the greatest way to do this but any multi-boot system is going to have a few compromises .

i really do not recommend any form of multi-boot and believe that individual drives are the safest and best bet .
    i had in mind to use an electronic switch IC (say a CD4066) to use as a DPDT to switch the data lines on a couple of ssd .
    this would eliminate the need for two carriers as both drives will fit into one carrier .
    a small switch mounted *somewhere* would allow selecting the desired drive/OS .
    the caveat to this is that when a drive is not selected , it is effectively remove from the machine ... no data sharing .
    in this case , an external usb drive can be used commonly between the two OSes .
    (although ... is there room in the carrier for a third drive that can be internally hard-wired to a usb port ?)

i believe that there is a way to set the precedence of the 'nix/windows boot ... as well as the timeout .
    again , you will be using the grub ...
    there may be a way around this by setting the default drive in bios (aka : first boot device) .
    it should then boot into 'nix unless you select the "boot from this device menu" .

you do realize that pictures from cern are requested/required to be posted here .
    (and none of those wimp(y) (ooohhh a pun) little files)
    so , what are you going to be doing there ?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  7. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    CWB32, I do not have less than 2MB pictures.

I am part of ATLAS collaboration, starting my authorship qualification, doing some physics analysis on Higgs Production and participating in an irradiation project of a next generation upgrade sensors. With my T430 failing once a day(as seen in the picture, I am desperately trying to reapply thermal paste hoping that it's the cause[someone put wayy too much on it]).

With a new T430 and CF19 sitting at my parents' house in Toronto, and my T420 sitting in my apartment in Ottawa.

When I get a week off at home, I will probably dedicate a day or two on experimenting with 2 OS in 1 SSD methods, and choose what works the best. I am still surprise that you can distinguish partitions from BIOS, because I never had that. Thank you CWB32, if you would like some pictures from CERN, I can share them in another avenue, without 2mb limit.

Attached Files:

8. CWB32

Reputations:
    the partitions can be thought of as individual drives in the same package (well , sort of) .
    there is a way to partition so that the bios thinks it is a bunch of drives .
    i'll double check on that .

"... participating in an irradiation project ..."
    i have participated in some irrational projects ...
    :confused::rolleyes:

why is the 430 failing ?
    is it truly a thermal problem ?
    i have never seen a cpu get too hot from too much paste between the mating surfaces ...
    what is not needed at the interface is squeezed out .
    i might be a little concerned if it is a "silver based" grease ... getting on the cpu pins ... but the electrical resistance is (usually) measured 10s of Mohm per square .
    you can try loading a program called "speccy" ... get it right from the piriform site ... it is free .
    this will tell you (among other things) the temperatures of the MB and cpu .
    if it is thermal cycling it may be because the cooling fan is not working or the heatpipe(s) have gone south ...
    or , it has somehow been told to use "passive cooling" (no fan ... throttles back the cpu in relationship to temperature) .
    i have seen a few cases where back in windows power plans options , that the minimum cpu speed was set to 100% and the max was the same ... the cpu was running full tilt all the time !
    i will take it that you have blown out the end of the heatpipes that have the cooling fins on them ... i've seen those so packed that it looked like a piece of felt .

higgs production/field ...
    i have not been keeping up on the current events (another pun) of particle physics .
    what is the state of the higgs field research ... heck , have they even found it ?
    have they determined any possible quark constituents/configurations ?

i'll see what i can come up with for large file sharing ...
    this might go the route of file sharing via (say) *deluge* or another similar program .

9. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    CWB, as for Higgs production, I cannot make official statement, that come after un-blinding and publications. Latest published results so far confirm the observation of Higgs particle. Some theories predict 2 more different "flavours" of Higgs to complete the standard model, but again, a published theory, no experimental proof yet.

I am in a team to build detector upgrades. Our irradiation projects are oriented to study the effects of proton beams and particle showers on the new upgrades.

Why is T430 failing? IT says motherboard might be damaged. My optimism has so far ruled out:
    1. RAM
    2. Dust bunnies
    3. Power supply/battery
    4. OS(happens on both linux and windows)
    currently ruling out thermal.

So far, I can only say that the cores and MB were at and above 70 deg celsius when it froze. There were cases when it did not froze while above 70 deg celsius. 70 is high already so thermal paste reapplication was just to drop that number, so far running at 50 +/-10 steadily.

I am also looking at some cooling pads, or one of these,
    https://www.amazon.ca/Mekarsoo-Powe...98251804&sr=8-26&keywords=cooling+pad+14+inch
    which returns to a point about CF19. There are no cases I could read about CF19 crashing due to overheating. How is that possible with i5 core with hd4000 inside an enclosure without a fan?!

10. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Lenovo drive "might" work. You will need to try it and see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.