Lenovo Thinkpad -> Panasonic Toughbook

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by SJLPHI, Jun 22, 2017.

1. CWB32

CWB32 Need parts for my flying saucer.

Reputations:
    "will something happen if I bend down to grab it?"
    i shall digress before i get excommunicated .

yeppers ... coding for prolonged periods requires a big monitor .
    i really do not think that there is a laptop that has what would come close to some of the select stand-alone keyboards .

2. SJLPHI

SJLPHI Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Lenovo E530 did the job perfectly for the time I had it. It was my first Lenovo, economy class. It was my first non "cheapest at walmart" laptop which was the first to last over 2 years.

Then I tried T410S as a linux experiment and eventually Linux and T4*0 became my mainstay. CF-31 may be the first toughbook mainstay for me, if I can ever afford and buy one.

3. CWB32

Reputations:
    i suppose you could always trade that '19 in on a '31 ...
    one of the guys here might bite on a deal like that .
    but , for myself , i prefer to have both machines in my collection .

i like my '31 , the 13" screen does make a little difference .
    it is heavy when compared to the '19 .
    the smallish screen on the '19 can be helped out a bit by using an add-on for firefox : zoompage .
    another useful add-on is : zoomfox .

4. SJLPHI

SJLPHI Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That would be a good deal for me, as far as I get to keep my 16gb RAM, and 512GB SSD, they cost a student's fortune to replace, and both very much brand new.

The only reason that I went with the 19 was because that was the only fully rugged with i5-3rd gen core that was within my budget $400 Cdn.

5. Karl Klammer

Karl Klammer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    depends on the language. very very true for java.
    doesn't really matter that much for more concise languages like perl or pl/sql.
    it might actually be an motivational advantage to not see to much code at once, especially when the code looks like this (perl) ;-)
    Code:
    eval{($u,$g)=(getpwnam 'nobody')[2,3]; $)=$(=$g;$>=$<=$u;$)=$(=$g;$>=$<=$u };
    for$type('W','C'){delete@{$db{"alerts$type"}}{map{$_<$now-$db{"day$type"}?$_:last}sort keys%{$db{"alerts$type"}}}};
    $tmp=join(' ',map"$_->[0].$_->[1].$_->[2]",sort{$b->[0]<=>$a->[0]||$b->[1]<=>$a->[1]||$a->[2]cmp$b->[2]}map[$tmp{$_}{C}||=0,$tmp{$_}{W}||=0,$_],grep{!/^[WC]$/}keys%tmp);
    $tmp=~s/^(.+[\]\d])\:\d+(\-\>.+[\]\d])\:\d+$/$1$2/o;

I've pulled of a 6-month long 3d modelling project in its entirety from my hammock with cf19 screen and keyboard

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  6. SJLPHI

SJLPHI Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Karl, how did you do that?
    I am having trouble running AutoDesk Inventor on T430 by itself. I get so frustrated trying to move things!

7. Karl Klammer

Karl Klammer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I was using OpenSCAD.org, as the project was about building a web-gl based customizer for a 3d printing company.
    No chance with AutoDesk/AutoCad, I guess.

8. CWB32

Reputations:
    a lot depends on the "eyes" ...
    young eyes are great if you can keep them that way .

around '77 i was programming for the z-80 ... helluva instruction set .
    green phosphor monitors for the most part and about 12" .
    many headaches , bloodshot eyes and an inability to change focus rapidly after long sessions .
    yeah ... a 2MHz clock ... wooooo ! smokin' !

9. CWB32

Reputations:
    also ...
    the '31 might be ok for many things but there are places where one of the more conventional "rugged books" might be better .
    a drawback is the fact that the "affordable" '52s use a florescent backlight and run about 200 NITS (not the bugs) ... horrible !
    there are ways to convert these to led back lighting but , personally , i do not like the "picket fence" effect that results from led strips that have leds that are too big and too far apart .
    yep ... i experimented with one of these and finally wound up popping the PWM line driver for the brightness control .
    i have since seen some led strips that might put me back onto the project .
    there is a limitation imposed by the lcd itself : the ability to block the light at high lumen levels .
    the picture will look pretty crappy when the best "black" is way above room ambient .

10. SJLPHI

SJLPHI Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I didn't like the CF52's, if I get a toughbook, I rather it be fully rugged. 14" Is my "Perfect" size, too large=too cumbersome, and too big for my laps in a classroom/meeting, too small= my neck hurts from looking down so much while working.