Lenovo Thinkpad -> Panasonic Toughbook

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by SJLPHI, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    I'm not quite so cranky now.
    There are two different orange tab batteries. One is for the CF 18 and one is for the CF 19. The CF18 version has the lower voltage.

This seems to be the best CF19 battery that I have found.............CF VZSU48CJS--Orange tab--Japan only
    ------------------------------------------
    CF VZSU48--Blue tab...10.65v--- 5.7Ah
    CF VZSU48U---Blue tab--10.65v--- 5.7Ah
    CF VZSU50---Green tab...Hazardous Location battery---Reported by web site as for mk1-mk4
    CF VZSU48CJS--Orange tab--Japan only ..CF-19 mk6 later??...-10.65v--5.7Ah
    CF VZSU58U..Yellow tab--11.1v---5.6Ah--For mk4 and later?-Sold with laptop only not sold separately.
    CF VZSU50W..No label info found yet..
    CF-VZSU48R.. China Only---10.65V---5.7Ah
    CF-VZSU48JS...No label info found yet..

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/different-cf19-batteries.778760/#post-10045715

2. CWB32

CWB32 Need parts for my flying saucer.

Reputations:
    and that is what i was talking about ... the total energy contained in a pack ...
    10.65V X 5.7AH = 60.705WH
    11.10V X 5.6WH = 62.16WH
    the difference of 1.445WH is not enough to power a pi55-ant's motorcycle halfway around the inside of a cheerio .
    other than the *wow* factor , there is really nothing to be gained from running a higher dollar and (dubiously) higher density battery .

some might think that the "explosion proof" stuff is special inside ... not really all than much different .
    there is a new-ish lithium technology available and it has been patented by it's developer ... this is a something to sit-up and take note of .
    to the best of my knowledge , you can actually drive nails through the batteries/cells or rend them in twain (how often does one get to use those words ?) without things going chernoybl .
    it has not hit the market yet (as far as i know) .
    the energy density is a tad under that of the ersatz fire starter types .

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  3. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Main difference becomes the brand/quality of the cells.
    The 58 batteries have very cheap cells in them. They reflect this with a short lifespan.

4. SJLPHI

SJLPHI Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For the time being, I decided to put resources on my new thinkpad. Toughbook is working very nicely and I like it, but cf-19 screen and keyboard, although I am used to the keyboard is giving me the pain in the neck for having to look down so much to see the screen

5. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    I think in conclusion, at this point my CF-19 is set up to to allow me to do 100% of the work that I need to do with my thinkpad.
    i5-3rd gen core + 16gb ram + 500gb ssd really boosts the specs, and the fact that I can plug the wireless keyboard/mouse set, and use the VGA port to a monitor makes the laptop basically a really good "general purpose" laptop.

I think the only things that refrains me from using this as the main laptop would be:
    1. monitor, keyboard and touchpad size.
    2. Specs on my new T430 is better. i7-3rd gen quad core, 9 cell battery, 16gb 1600mhz ram, 128gb ssd + 256gb ssd + 240gb ssd (there was a long debate within me trying to see if the 500gb ssd should go here, or on toughbook, but I decided toughbook should have one large ssd that should never need to be replaced).

SHEEPMAN! likes this.
  6. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Just don't drop that T430! ;)

toughasnails likes this.
  7. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    will something happen if I bend down to grab it?

I have to say though, Lenovo are tough and well surviving themselves. I recall having an x131e, and dropped it from 1.5m onto concrete floor. It landed on a corner next to a hinge. Of course, the case broke and cracked, but the magnesium(?) casing protected the rest of the laptop.

8. Karl Klammer

Karl Klammer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    yes, thinkpad x and t are business tough, same goes for hp elitebooks
    i like them too

the drop you are exited about would not even be remembered for a cf19
    mine falls out of the hammock all the time and gets carried around on a shoulder strap each day, rain or shine, while bumping into all kinds of stuff and being abused as a coffee cup stand during train rides.
    oh and I clean my keyboard about monthly under a shower head, low pressure, no need to reboot or anything

9. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    So now what? You are spot on described a working CF-19. :)

You will miss the camaraderie here. I foresee another Toughbook purchase 'cause you can't have just one.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    toughasnails likes this.
  10. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    I currently have an Alienware x51-r2 with alienware French keyboard, Lenovo T430 with US keyboard, CF-19 with US keyboard. I have to stop for 2 seconds everytime I am starting to type, and I also have to make sure that I'm not treating the T430 like the CF-19.

Right now, CF-19 is on a Nanuk strap https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003JH7Y8W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with a small water proof MOLLE pouch carrying its IBM 16V Power supply. Whenever I am no longer doing intense coding and designing, I will only carry CF-19. As for now, it's just collecting dust. I am cycling to work, and until I am walking again, CF-19 is grounded.

SHEEPMAN! likes this.