Lenovo ThinkPad P73, really worth it?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by SMGJohn, Nov 10, 2019.

1. jack574

jack574 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So would you say a badly cooled RTX 3000 is still better than a well cooled P3200?

Thanks!

2. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, of course it has more of everything, more processing units, more shaders, more VRAM I think its not terribly crippled even if I make it sound like it.
    Its also really good at professional work, look it up on notebookreview they tested the P73 with RTX3000
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-Quadro-RTX-3000-Laptop-Graphics-Card.423876.0.html

Sent fra min SM-G970F via Tapatalk

3. jack574

jack574 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ah right, ok.

It was actually a notebookcheck review that got me worried (as well as this thread):
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenov...ed-down-by-poor-heat-management.445929.0.html

That review said that the GPU slowed down a lot after a few minutes of heavy load playing Witcher 3:

"Unfortunately, the performance is not stable in the "Witcher 3" loop. At the start of the test, the P73 60 FPS. At the end, the FPS counter showed the number 45. Sustained GPU load seems to overwhelm the cooling system"

and they showed a graph of the frame rate dropping from an initial 60 to around 45...

Hhhmmm, maybe I shouldn't have cancelled my order...

Thanks again!

4. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It all depends on your use cases, I think the laptop is overpriced for what you get and the cooling system is definitely crippled but here we see the power limitation in this laptop which causes that framedrop more than anything.

Heat problems exist in virtually every modern laptops these days, no way around it but undervolting unless its about AMD then you can unlock TDP to 45W from 15W and get 50% more performance LOL

Sent fra min SM-G970F via Tapatalk

5. DrDre

DrDre Newbie

Reputations:
    Try a software called TPFanControl. An old software by Lenovo. I set it at smart mode 1 and notice the fan on the right (GPU fan) kicks in at lower temperature. The result is better performance over long period of usage, lower temp around 10 degree celcius. Seems like not only the cooling structure is bad, but also native cooling software is not good.

6. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Couldn't agree more on that... Isn't it just a little depressing to see there are other components out there performs more better than the hardware components that u're paying for... on P73?
    I guess this is why till today, Lenovo is not considering on making all AMD/ATI gaming laptops or workstations, because the end price is probably going to kill P73 sales, affecting the ThinkPAD brand ranking in the laptop world.

7. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well... According to this veteran technical drawing guy...

...it ain't worth for the smaller one.
    So, the bigger bro isn't anywhere betta!​

SMGJohn likes this.
  8. alittleteapot

alittleteapot Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thinkpads have probably the best keyboards in the business. Also, they are very beautiful machines. My wife's Thinkpad T410 is almost completely indestructible. I stopped buying Lenovos after the chassis on my W520 was chipping plastic on the sides.

Nowadays, I think that both HP ZBook and Dell Precision are much better choices and are much more "battlefield proven". Personally, my Dell Precision 7730 has been holding up very well, and the Pro Support is quite good. However, I think the best thing about the Dell series is the user base, who actively participate on the forums here. Dell technical managers actively participate also (once in a while) and answer questions, and they generally do listen. Dell Precisions 7750's are about to launch, and their thermal solutions are generally pretty solid by all accounts.